CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Heavy bag training-worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
if you want to hit a heavybag but don't care about increasing punching power or accuracy and only cardio benefits i would say there are tons of other choices out there that are safer and probably more effective for pure cardio, plus you don't risk breaking a hand.
If you want to increase cardio (assuming you're talking about endurance) you're far more likely to injure yourself running than training on a heavy bag. I've never met a person who's injured themselves on a heavy bag- hand injuries in boxing usually come during sparring. I have however known many people who went out for a run and came back injured (including myself).
Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
If you want to increase cardio (assuming you're talking about endurance) you're far more likely to injure yourself running than training on a heavy bag. I've never met a person who's injured themselves on a heavy bag- hand injuries in boxing usually come during sparring. I have however known many people who went out for a run and came back injured (including myself).
I'm all for hitting heavy bags, but to me if you aren't interested in developing punching power, accuracy etc... You may be better served doing something else.

It can be dangerous if someone just goes wild on a bag launching haymakers, they can end up doing some damage. But that's easily remedied by googling some basic heavy bag training articles and videos.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

+1 for the heavy bag. I have one. I just like hitting things. It's an awesome de-stressor. It's really not that expensive though. I paid like $150 for my 100lb bag. An if you don't think hitting things is a good cardiovascular workout, watch UFC guys go 5 rounds an see how tired they get.

If you're looking for ideas on it check out the journal. Hackleman posted some videos of CrossPit and showed some interesting ways of adding bag work into a workout. It was pretty cool, plus that guys hilarious. My favorite was how his face was drawn onto one of the pads and when he was demoing it was like he was punching himself in the face. Maha!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Ryan Webernick

Profile:

It's just fun. I need to find some room for one. I recommend the Bas Rutten workout CD's. It's basically Bas calling out combinations for 2 or 3 minute rounds. It's a good workout even if you are just shadow boxing.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
John Corona

Profile:

Love my heavy bag. Even when I'm not hitting it, I'm unhooking it and doing other things like sprints and shoulder carries, picking it up and slamming it, ground and pound as part of a training circuit. It's an invaluable tool.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

John, you beat me too it. Hitting heavy bags is fun, but they can also be carried, dragged and thrown as well. Get it!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
Jim Romagna

Profile:

Remember, the heart doesn't recognize mode, so the heavy bag is yet another way to get a great cardio workout in. You can train on the bag for either punchng power or cardio, or both. I use the bag quite a bit, and some times I just tap it with fast hands, you don't always ahve to blast a hole through it. I got my set for $80 for a 80# bag, and a $30 pair of quick loop gloves, you don't need the lace ups. got to titleboxing.com for great gloves of all types.

You can get creative too with the bag, such as jacks between combos, or supersetting with rounds of other things like tread sprints or push ups.

i like to set up cones and shuffle from cone to cone, and then do a bag combo. Some of the best cardio work i've had.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
Jim Romagna

Profile:

oh yeah, and if you're really worried about technique..... although it's not that complicated, Title Boxing has a $10 DVD called "How to hit the heavy bag."
Old 03-24-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

I do it as part of my routine and do a basic seven rounds 3 minutes on and 1 minute off for seven to ten rounds depending on how I feel after I run for two miles. If you keep up the punch rate i.e keep up the tempo, it is an excellent workout. If you have the background then you know that hitting the bag correctly uses your legs hips and torso. Go for it.

I do however advocate that you get a "soft fill" heavy bag and get yourself good bag gloves and wrap your hands. Go to Ringside.com - that is one of the best places on line to get equipment. The better the gloves the more protected your hands will be and the longer the gloves will last. If you get cheap gloves and hit the bag hard you will punch them out and hurt your hands in the process.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
Luke Woods

Profile:

Bret said it best. Heavybag workouts are awesome and can be quite humbling if you have never done them before. I highly recommend ALWAYS wrapping your hands in addition to wearing gloves. I use Mexican handwraps and 12oz gloves for my heavybag workouts. Its good to get a timer and do 2 or 3 minutes rounds with 1 minute in between rounds. With properly wrapped hands underneath gloves you will be very protected. There are tons of videos on youtube that show you how to wrap. Have fun!!