CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #81
Patrick Scott

Profile:
Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Borek View Post
Thats not Boyle's main argument, but regardless, squats make you stronger than all of those other things, and that strength carries over to other movements in a way others don't, including sprinting, jumping, pushing off of the toes, changing directions quickly.

Single leg squats and lunges and what not are just an means for Boyle to set himself apart from other people, all that stuff leaves out more muscle mass and joint function in the name of "sports specificity" which is ludicrous, squatting strength is general strength as its one of, if not the, fundamental human movements which carries over to everything else you do with your legs. You don't get more functional than squatting.

To bring this back to the topic at hand, P90x, Insanity or whatever might be hard but that doesn't necessarily make them good. Squatting on a bosu ball is hard, it doesn't really do anything for your squatting strength. If you need to see your abs, eat less, if you want to waste a bunch of money and feel like you're on the cutting edge by doing P90x and Insanity, go for it. If you wanna train like a real athlete, stick with real athletic training, whether its crossfit, lifting, swimming, whatever. Don't be surprised if people take you less seriously if you do otherwise.
I agree with your first paragraph, disagree somewhat with your second and agree completely with your third.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #82
Jason A Smith

Profile:

FWIW I did P90X twice straight through before I found Crossfit. It is a very good basic program for he general public. It has some advantages over crossfit as well equipment wise. I only needed a pull up bar and some dumbbells (and not very heavy at that). I enjoyed the program and saw great results by following the diet as well (yes I had abs !). I started Crossfit right after and yes the programs aren't even comparable. My fitness is better than ever and I look fine at the beach.

If you want to P90X, go for it, but do it. I couldn;t take the monotony of it all after a couple weeks Tony needs to be put on mute and I really like the competing nature of the WODs. I have been following CFFB for about a year now and have seen awesome strength gains to the point where I can RX all the main site WODs. I am also competing in the open, should be fun.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #83
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
P90X = Man Aerobics
Crossfit = Elite Fitness

Can't take credit for that one (came from here: www.outlawcrossfit.com), but I definitely agree with the sentiment.

As they said on their site, "when you are ready to stop dancing around your living room" go do Crossfit.
Original thought...try it.

OP:
All three programs are effective in their own right, but to echo others' sentiment, do them one at a time. Figure out what exactly you hope to gain from each program and approach them with that specific intent in mind.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #84
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

I am far from expert in Crossfit. I have been doing some of the workouts on my own - without an affiliate for at least a couple years now. There are some exercises that I have to substitute or just plain can't do because of injury and lack of flexibility due to injuries. That being said, nothing that I have done in my life has given me the results that Crossfit has - even if at times, I am scaling my own workouts.

I am going to be 44 in a month or two and have been doing athletic things and "working out" for the vast majority of my life. I think that to enjoy exercise is to enjoy and joy in the process, the pushing, the discipline. The body - how you look / appear - becomes the avatar of / for that discipline and determination.

I am reminded of martial arts training. When most people come into the kwoon, dojo, whatever, they say that they want to kick @ss or defend themselves or that they were inspired by Bruce Lee. After they do it for many years, when asked why they do it - most people who aren't sociopathic will say, because they love the training, because it is fun, because of the people and the relationships that they make. The interest in pounding on people isn't the primary purpose any more.

I think this applies to exercise as well. You exercise to re-delineate your personal boundaries and capabilities. If you are doing it for appearance, that's cool - I think everyone has vanity. However, if you want to make it a lifetime journey - I think you have to joy in the process. Sorry if I'm slightly off topic here - but I really thought that what I was thinking is a bit like what some of you are trying to say - albiet in a different manner.

I agree with the diet gig - but also in my humble opinion - cardio is not the way to go to get lean - it's a tool but not the most effective tool. I know I didn't get to 6-7% bodyfat simply by running.

Cheers.

Last edited by Bret Goldstein; 03-24-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #85
Luke Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
FWIW I did P90X twice straight through before I found Crossfit. It is a very good basic program for he general public. It has some advantages over crossfit as well equipment wise. I only needed a pull up bar and some dumbbells (and not very heavy at that). I enjoyed the program and saw great results by following the diet as well (yes I had abs !). I started Crossfit right after and yes the programs aren't even comparable. My fitness is better than ever and I look fine at the beach.

If you want to P90X, go for it, but do it. I couldn;t take the monotony of it all after a couple weeks Tony needs to be put on mute and I really like the competing nature of the WODs. I have been following CFFB for about a year now and have seen awesome strength gains to the point where I can RX all the main site WODs. I am also competing in the open, should be fun.
Well spoken my man.

I don't understand all of the "P90X is a joke, its a waste, its crap, etc..."

P90X and Insanity are by no means better than Crossfit, that is a fact. But they aren't crap either. My wife and I did both programs and got great results. They're much better than the 3 day a week split routine in the gym followed by 20 mins on the stairstepper.

For the original poster also, if you are looking for more than what is on Crossfit's main page for daily workouts, take a look at Sealfit.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #86
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Woods View Post
Well spoken my man.

I don't understand all of the "P90X is a joke, its a waste, its crap, etc..."

P90X and Insanity are by no means better than Crossfit, that is a fact. But they aren't crap either. My wife and I did both programs and got great results. They're much better than the 3 day a week split routine in the gym followed by 20 mins on the stairstepper.

For the original poster also, if you are looking for more than what is on Crossfit's main page for daily workouts, take a look at Sealfit.
Thanks Luke. I agree with you. I disagree with anyone that thinks that P90X and Insanity are a joke. The fact that anyone would say that is a joke. As I wrote before, I'm sticking with CrossFit, but I'm adding other things to it to get stronger at the same time. I'm just finishing up week one and I'm going strong. I think a major part of my problem is that I was having way too much fruit per day. I was eating 3-5 pieces of fruit a day. I cut that out this week and haven't lost any energy. I'll see how I feel afte a couple of more weeks.

And yes, I'm eating more food per day as recommended.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #87
David Orr

Profile:
Post Re: Combining CrossFit with P90X, and Insanity

Has anyone looked at the photograph? Paulo is obviously holding either fat or water. I would go along with Katherine in regards to fat and calorie intake. Need more of both. It's been stated a couple of times that a six pack has everything to do with genetics and nutrition. Direct abdominal work has little to do with it. Pretty much everything you do in or out of the gym will directly or indirectly work abs.

If I was going to change anything it would be in regards to doing some serious, structured, strength training in combination with CF. The bigger the engine the more fuel is required. Sounds like your body is very effecient in terms of cardiorespiratory work, but I would guess the amount of time spent with heavy compound movements may be lacking.

Last edited by David Orr; 03-29-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #88
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Quote:
They're much better than the 3 day a week split routine in the gym followed by 20 mins on the stairstepper.
That might be true but that's not sayin a whole hell of a lot.

Let's do this the old fashioned (Socratic) way.

What do they (P90X, Insanity) offer you for your goals that crossfit doesn't?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #89
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orr View Post
Has anyone looked at the photograph? Paulo is obviously holding either fat or water. I would go along with Katherine in regards to fat and calorie intake. Need more of both. It's been stated a couple of times that a six pack has everything to do with genetics and nutrition. Direct abdominal work has little to do with it. Pretty much everything you do in or out of the gym will directly or indirectly work abs.

If I was going to change anything it would be in regards to doing some serious, structured, strength training in combination with CF. The bigger the engine the more fuel is required. Sounds like your body is very effecient in terms of cardiorespiratory work, but I would guess the amount of time spent with heavy compound movements may be lacking.
I'm doing exactly what you just suggested. I'm eating more and fats and calories and I also cut out the fruits. I also added a structured strength training routine 3 times a week. I measured my waist before I started and I already lost some off the midsection.

Here's my log:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...Wc&output=html You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe (WFS)

Last edited by Paulo Santos; 03-29-2011 at 03:58 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #90
David Orr

Profile:

I looked at your plan and that is a LOT of work. I wouldn't do cardio on strength days. I wouldn't do cardio after a wod. I might do cardio intervals as part of a wod, but not in addition to. It was mentioned earlier if you need to go for a run after a wod, your intensity needs to be kicked up.

Problem with this much work is your cortisol levels have to be through the roof. Not a good thing for building lean mass! I don't mention it much on these boards but I competed as a bodybuilder for over 20 years. Training 3 bodyparts a day is old school and somewhat effective if you are getting "chemical assistance". For a natural guy it was rarely effective.

Training is the stimulus for growth, but growth occurs during the peiods in between workouts. Right nutrition, enough water and enough rest are key to getting the results you are looking for.