CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Bret Goldstein

Profile:
Exhaustion v. Tiredness

I am wondering what effect the physiological perception of tiredness, as opposed to the inability to perform another repetition effects sports performance. Does the feeling of - for lack of a better word - "tiredness" have effects on performance? Is feeling tired or lethargic simply a somatic issue or is it a true physiologic symptom of a lack of energy? I am sure that many here have felt tired after work and yet have gone on to perform well or perhaps even reached a personal best in exercise / training later that day.

Do you listen to your body or ignore it? And when?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Exhaustion v. Tiredness

"Tired" means a lot of things. Do you mean sleepy? Sore? Sick? All of these require a different reaction. Which is why you listen to your body all of the time and intrepret it the best you can.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #3
Chris Jones

Profile:

by "tiredness" do you mean lack of motivation to go to the gym today? If so, then i feel that way at least once a week. I work night shift and often have to work 10-12 days in a row, so its easy to be tired both mentally and physically. Ive found that if i can just GET myself to the box, i will get through the workouts and be glad i did. Other days when im really just not feeling it, ill go out to the garage and do some strength stuff or focus on technique stuff and just take it easy.

In the end only you know how youre feeling, and if you should push through and hit the gym or take a rest day and get some food and recovery in.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

After a day of work being mentally wrung out as well as physically tired, I have still managed to set personal best lifts, etc.

This led me to question the relationship of the "feeling" or "perception" of tiredness or sleepiness to actual measurable physical performance. I am not specifically talking about the oh boy, I'm too tired to work out feeling - I ignore that 100% of the time.

The body talks to us - but I am wondering if at times it lies.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

I've set DL PRs on 1.5 to 2 hrs of sleep.

I've performed 20+ minute metcons at a pretty decent speed, with great effort while fasting (no sugar, food, calories, etc. for 16hrs or so.)

I've had an exhaustive mental day of planning, clients, kids, art, design, errands, etc. and still did 2-3 full workouts a day with a CFFB style strength workout + a longer CFE style "conditioning."

All said, those are exceptions and not the norm. I don't recommend them consistently. I do listen to my body but I also at least give it a warm-up to see if my body is really talking to me or if it is all bull$hit.

As a client that is an absolute machine and beast once told me. There is a major difference between true physical exhaustion and mental discomfort. Make the distinction and give it the Rich Froning test. He said (something like this) that at the end of the day, when no one else is around, no one else is talking and you are there alone (or next to someone) with your head on your pillow, reflecting on your day before you sleep...well then you will know if you half a$$ed your workout or if you truly put in the work. There is no lying then.

That is when it matters. When the lights are off, no one is watching, the timer isn't running, the music isn't on. The weights are put away and the dust has settled. It is a mental game. Every time. Even special forces say it is a mental game and they have pushed the boundaries of physical limitation through necessity more than any "workout" would expect of you. It still boils down to what is between the ears. People have done more than any Crossfit session could present to a person with less food, less sleep, less physical ability, less circumstance, less convenience, etc. Perhaps they also had less excuse.

On the topic of "do you listen to your body" though, I will say one more thing. In the end, it is only a workout. It is just squatting. It is just a metcon. Nothing more, nothing less. In the big picture, it is just a small part of it all. Don't stress it.

Last edited by Richard Colon; 06-04-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I try to pay attention to what my body is telling me. I usually lift in the late afternoon or evening, and my barometer on pushing through tiredness depends on how the first ~15min of the workout progresses. Once I get past the warm-up, I can tell pretty quickly whether it's a motivation issue or physiological problem. If I feel like I truly have nothing in the tank after the warm-up then I typically call it a day or scale back on the planned workout.

I'm getting over a case of mono and as such become well acquainted with what it feels like when the body says "NO".
Old 06-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

It's been gone over multiple times already...

The key is knowing ones body vs ones mind...

For me sometimes squating seems easy and some days hard...

One day I feel wrecked and only do 255x9on my last set of gslp. Next week ill feel great and go for 275x15. Did I jump in strength? No I just knew my body.

Also some days as they say when you warm up you hear your body well.

I can be warming up for heavy squats, get to 315 and know I can go past it. By the time I hit 345 and 365 they don't feel heavy. Why? Mental? Tight body? Who knows, but I know my limits and try to push to them when the workout calls for it.

Sometimes I think about it like this. I ran an 11 flat 100m all through high school. But my best "time" ever was when my coach
Clocked me one meet going from goal line to the next end of the field doing a 10.6. How did I pull that off? Well a buddy of mine (I pole vaulted) just cracked his head open in the bottom of the pit on a bad vault and blood was coming out pretty bad. With no radios or cell phones back then the only way to get the paramedics was to tell them. They were in the parking lot on the other end of the field. I wasn't thinking "I hope my time is good" it was "I hope my friend doesn't die". He survived thankfully and had a nice scar for it.

I tried over and over in races to conjur up that same "burst" but try as I might I never could and never ran that fast again. Why? Physical limit? Mental limit?

Sometimes we can do great things if we believe we can and overcome the space between our ears.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Bret Goldstein

Profile:

I am trying to figure out why. I keep a log of what I eat and I am starting to keep a sleep log as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Nicholas Ciolino

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
It's been gone over multiple times already...

The key is knowing ones body vs ones mind...

For me sometimes squating seems easy and some days hard...

One day I feel wrecked and only do 255x9on my last set of gslp. Next week ill feel great and go for 275x15. Did I jump in strength? No I just knew my body.

Also some days as they say when you warm up you hear your body well.

I can be warming up for heavy squats, get to 315 and know I can go past it. By the time I hit 345 and 365 they don't feel heavy. Why? Mental? Tight body? Who knows, but I know my limits and try to push to them when the workout calls for it.

Sometimes I think about it like this. I ran an 11 flat 100m all through high school. But my best "time" ever was when my coach
Clocked me one meet going from goal line to the next end of the field doing a 10.6. How did I pull that off? Well a buddy of mine (I pole vaulted) just cracked his head open in the bottom of the pit on a bad vault and blood was coming out pretty bad. With no radios or cell phones back then the only way to get the paramedics was to tell them. They were in the parking lot on the other end of the field. I wasn't thinking "I hope my time is good" it was "I hope my friend doesn't die". He survived thankfully and had a nice scar for it.

I tried over and over in races to conjur up that same "burst" but try as I might I never could and never ran that fast again. Why? Physical limit? Mental limit?

Sometimes we can do great things if we believe we can and overcome the space between our ears.
I what you wrote here! Im from Tyler TX also, where did you go to school? Where do you train at? What year did you grad?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Nicholas Ciolino

Profile:

What do you do for work, are you in front of a computer all day? Are you out in the sun much? Do you move around much during the day?

Sitting in front of a computer for hours on end can make you feel this way, along with Vitamin D dificiency adding to sleep issues(snow ball effect).

What is your diet like?

I try and get about 20 minutes of sun a day every other day, I eat Paleo which can promote an overall clean feeling (good in, good out!).

If you are at a computer, or in an office, try and just get up numerous times a day, or even build a stand up computer desk... Crossfit HQ has been moving toward the standup desks to try and get people away from that lathargy associated with sitting all day.

Anyways, a few things to consider. Hope it helps.