CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Peter Borden

Profile:
I keep reading diet books, not because I don't like what I've incorporated so far (zone and paleo), but more because I like to keep reading. There were two points Wolcott made in this book that left me wondering, and I'd appreciate feedback on them.

1) First, its suggested not to mix protein types in any meal. i.e. no salmon and cheese for lunch, just stick with the salmon. I've heard variations of this for a while but have no evidence, experiential or otherwise, to go on. I mix all the time and don't seem to have problems.

2) Second, he suggests that I avoid foods high in ocalic acids and those containing phylates. The former contains such yummy things as cocoa, cranberries, grapes, plums, rasberries, rhubarb, strawberries and all supposedly interfere with calcium absorbtion.

The latter, which might result in mineral deficiencies, is really only a problem when it comes to oatmeal. And I eat tons of oatmeal.

Since my diet is already restricted at this point, are these points worth considering?

As an aside, I find it interesting that I indicated I'm a protein type according to the book. Either I was one to begin with or strict zone adherance has turned me into one.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Here's an interesting critique of the Metabolic Diet by Mel Siff. http://www.dolfzine.com/page408.htm Link is work/family safe.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
First off...your doing fine. Secondly, you know YOU'RE doing great on your diet...who cares what some "diet" expert says? And now, where is this guys information coming from? I've heard "don't mix carbs and protein" never heard don't mix diffrent types of protein. Doesn't make sense. My suggestion is to keep doing what works, I love to read too. Glean little gems from others, ignore the (mostly) stupid stuff.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Peter Borden

Profile:
The funny thing about this diet is, if you don't just read the section on your type, that his reccomendations for all types is almost identical. You know, no refined grains, moderate alcohol, little coffee, blah blah blah.

I'm still curious about the ocalic acids/phylates issue since I hadn't heard that one before.

And Larry, I remember hearing the don't mix protein thing from a vegetarian once, who said something to the effect that if you eat beef and milk, or poultry and eggs (can't remember which) at the same time its really bad for some weird reason that I can't remember and don't put stock in. First time I heard that from an "authority" though.