CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
Matt Richardson

Profile:
This is my first morning in the Zone. Should I be eating the block for my current body type, or the blocks I should be? Currently I'm around 260 lbs with huge amounts of body fat. Ideally I should weigh in around 200 lbs. I picked eating around 19 blocks based on where I should be.
Also how quickly do the pounds tend to come off? I'm not rushing it, it just seems like I ate a ton this morning compared to other diets I have read.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
You should be eating blocks based on your current weight, then recounting blocks as your weight drops.

As for a timeframe, you can expect to lose about 2-3 lbs a week. The average healthy human body simply will not shed more than about 2 pounds of fat, per week. But it will shed water, which is what most fast weight loss is - just water loss!

Just be patient, stay the course and your hard work will pay off.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Matt, 19 sounds good. Yes it will feel like your eating a ton, especially if your eating a lot of vegetables. Weigh and measure. Go the first three weeks without a cheat meal, then sneak in one cheat meal a week, for another three weeks, then two for three weeks, then three...then stop adding cheat meals. This puts you at 90% compliance. You could lose 12 - 24 pounds (possibly more) in the first three months at 1 -2lbs per week. First week or two you will lose more, it will balance out. You are losing fat not muscle. Please do not focus on the weight loss. Make a grid on Word. Along the top put the numbers 1 - 5 to represent your 5 meals a day. Along the left side put the days of the week. One page = one week. Lets take Monday / Breakfast. On Monday if you ate a Zone balanced meal on time put an X under the number 1 next to Monday. If you missed breakfast put an O. If you ate a meal, but it was not Zone balanced or the time was off, put a -. At the end of the week you will have a visual representation of your dietary compliance. If there are more than 3 Os or -, you have not been 90% compliant. Put the dates on the top of the page and keep this in a 3 ring binder. You could also put your favorite 5 block meals and 2 block snack recipes in the binder. Your only goal should be to be 90%+ compliant every week for 6 months. At the end of 6 months re-evaluate. Weigh yourself every two weeks or so, do NOT be obsessed with scale weight.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
For what it's worth, I'm trying to go in the opposite direction (weight gain) and I'm finding I'm having to eat a block prescription in line with what I consider my target weight to be to nudge the scale upwards.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

I thought the idea was to eat the blocks prescribed by your current Lean Body Mass (LBM), not total weight? Your current LBM may be more closely related to your future 200-pound self than your current 260 pounds.

That said, you gotta be able to stick with the program . . . if the Rx is for 15 blocks and you go nuts trying to do it, but can still make progress at 19, then 19 (or 18) is what works . . . and an imperfect program that works is better than a perfect one you can't follow.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
If you calculate your block prescription as instructed in any of the zone books you'll be fine. Go to www.zoneperfect.com for an online calculator. Plug in the requested numbers and it'll give you your current block prescription.

I plug in my numbers each month as I make progress and loose weight and the prescrpition changes as needed.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
The zone block rx is based on lean body mass. I'd suggest getting a DEXA scan or underwater weighing if you are really serious about it. If you know your LBM from a past weight/bodyfat level and you want to return to that, that would be an inexpensive way to guesstimate.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
Matt Richardson

Profile:
Thanks for the input! I'm definately not obsessing on losing the weight quickly. I know it will take a while to get it all off.
It was just a shock to one day realize I'm 31 and have gotten so horribly out of shape.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
Chris Jodlowski

Profile:
Matt - I've been playing with a "zone-like" diet for a couple weeks, but this morning I also blocked, measured, etc, and there's no denying it's a lot of food. For instance, for 5 blocks of protein you're talking a 10-egg white omlet. And that doesn't even get into the carbs and fat. This morning I had 1 1/4 c of cottage cheese, a pile of fruit & a little bit of sliced almonds, and that's way more than I typically eat in the morning. It took me 20 minutes of getting ready for work in between to get it down. Then, at 9:30, when its time for my first snack, reality sets in when I think "man, I'm not really all that hungry."

I took some base measurements last night and will do so again in 2 weeks, to see where its taken me. Staying off the scale will be tough. I wrestled for several years, so "what do I weigh" has burned a pathway through my brain. I only wish I knew about all of this *then*

Enjoy, man.