CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

What exactly does "increasing performance" mean when adding fat blocks to the Zone? An increase in intensity of work outs? An increase in weight lifting performance or running performance? Any clarification helps.

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

seriously though... what does it mean?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Jesse Woody

Profile:
"What exactly does "increasing performance" mean when adding fat blocks to the Zone?"

I'm not sure what you mean. I've heard people refer to finding the right balance of intake to retain performance while keeping a constant body-composition. I know that the Zone in general increases performance, and that the fat-burning metabolism is increased as you increase fat as a viable energy source. This will lead to increase in performance (both from a lower-bf% standpoint and by a more effecient energy-source)...

Is that what you were asking?
Old 02-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Performance as in:
the ability to run harder and longer without getting tired
the ability to lift weights even while your muscles are burning
the ability to go day in and day out and maintain intensity on your sessions

Is that what "performance" means? For marathoners, increasing performance means increasing their endurance... for sprinters, it means increasing their speed... what does "performance" mean for crossfitters and the general weightlifting population?

Hopes this clarifies things,
Kurt
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Jesse Woody

Profile:
Well, the idea of performance is exactly right. In Crossfit it equates as lower times on the WOD's which transfers into increased capacity in all 10 general physical skills.

I just wasn't sure where you were looking with the "While increasing fat blocks on the zone..." if that comes from some specific quote it might be easier to deduct what the meaning of performance was to the person who said it ;)
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Enhancing performance means increasing your level of stustainable power output. You will be able to train harder and recover faster allowing your gains to come faster.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Kurt Ronald Mueller

Profile:

Just to clarify:
From my understanding, when first following the Zone, males will want to slim down at first until they're under 8%. It is then that they will want to increase their Fat Blocks 2-5x the original amount. Doing so will increase their "performance." I'm just wondering what energy pathyway it will affect most... ATP pathways or oxygen pathways.

Trying not to confuse the matter,
Kurt
Old 02-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Jesse Woody

Profile:
What will most-likely happen is this: The athelete starts the Zone and sees an immediate increase in performance (lower WOD's, quicker recovery). As bodyweight decreases, there will come a point when they will bonk...their bodyfat becomes too low to sustain consistent output, so you raise the fat blocks to compensate and balance. I don't think the increase in fat blocks itself is the sole reason for a performance increase, though I suspect it could be part of it. In this case the increase in performance seems to be due mostly to increased lean-body-mass and an improved ability to recover from taxing workouts. The switch to fat as a preferred fuel source leads to some performance enhancement...but I think that's up to Robb to explain in more detail ;)
Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
I agree with Jesse on this, and Robb would be the one to clarify.

The key is that INSTEAD of just making the meals bigger (i.e. 7 or 8 blocks of each) you just add fat blocks, which doesn't impact your insulin levels. You become a "fat burning machine" at this stage. This method is only for the super lean. The rest of us have enough stored fat to fuel our workouts/recovery/activity etc.