CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Brandon Soukup

Profile:
Re: ********?

You do realize that in bad mouthing this company, you are also bad mouthing the Athlete's who endorse the products without receiving any financial gain. Athletes like Rich Froning, Mike Burgener, Mary Beth Litsheim, Drew Brees, and a whole slew of other professional athletes. You don't have to like to marketing the company uses, but many athletes have put there name and reputation with Advo Care so there must be something to it.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If he doesn't get paid for an endorsement then he is doing it wrong.
Seriously.

I've tried some of their products before, had a "meh" reaction. To be fair though, I dont take supplements.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:51 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Soukup View Post
You do realize that in bad mouthing this company, you are also bad mouthing the Athlete's who endorse the products without receiving any financial gain. Athletes like Rich Froning, Mike Burgener, Mary Beth Litsheim, Drew Brees, and a whole slew of other professional athletes. You don't have to like to marketing the company uses, but many athletes have put there name and reputation with Advo Care so there must be something to it.
Slow down a bit.....I think you're being a little oversensitive if you think I'm attacking the character of their endorsers by saying it's a crappy company. And I'd advise you to do a little more reading up on the shady business practices of MLMs before you accuse me of jumping to conclusions by badmouthing the company.

Do you really think Drew Brees does anything without getting something in return for it? Read this from his own website (WFS). We're not talking about charity here, we're talking about endorsing a business.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Brandon Soukup

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Slow down a bit.....I think you're being a little oversensitive if you think I'm attacking the character of their endorsers by saying it's a crappy company. And I'd advise you to do a little more reading up on the shady business practices of MLMs before you accuse me of jumping to conclusions by badmouthing the company.

Do you really think Drew Brees does anything without getting something in return for it? Read this from his own website (WFS). We're not talking about charity here, we're talking about endorsing a business.
Drew Brees did change from an unpaid endorser to the National Spokesman a few years back, so he was a bad example, because he does get paid now. I'm not being oversensitive, I am just passionate. To be upfront, I'm a distributor with Advo Care and it is an MLM, but you cant throw all MLM's together in the same boat. The premise may be the same with all MLM's but company value's and the way they operate does vary. It's the same as saying all lawyers a crooks, because there are a few bad one's.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Drew Brees did change from an unpaid endorser to the National Spokesman a few years back, so he was a bad example, because he does get paid now. I'm not being oversensitive, I am just passionate. To be upfront, I'm a distributor with Advo Care and it is an MLM, but you cant throw all MLM's together in the same boat. The premise may be the same with all MLM's but company value's and the way they operate does vary. It's the same as saying all lawyers a crooks, because there are a few bad one's.
Wow, didn't see that coming!

And yes, I can lump Advo in with other MLMs based on what I saw from the company during my brief time working with them. As I mentioned, it's a great business model if you're fine with making money off your friends and family by coercing them into buying crappy supplements at a 40% markup so that chunk of money can get split between you and the next 3-4 people above you on the pyramid.

Drew Brees aside, do you really think any reputable athlete or coach attaches his/her name to a supplement without getting some sort of tangible benefit in return?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
You do realize that in bad mouthing this company, you are also bad mouthing the Athlete's who endorse the products without receiving any financial gain.
You do realize that no he isn't. Right?

What a shocker to find, with a message like that from you, that you are a distributor for them. Totally caught me off guard.

- Mark
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
Ryan Pye

Profile:

I have no dog in the fight but assuming you told clients it was a MLM, I don't see the issue (product quality not taken into account here). The gyms that sell Progenex or Kill Cliff make money off of it too. I'd assume everything a business sells is for the purpose of making a profit. Why is it different? And if it's because of the margin could you sell for less than 40% profit? Even if not, I'd bet Progenex has a higher margin than that.

(I do not take Progenex or Advo, I do take At Large supps and assume Chris is making money by selling me protein and BCAAs)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:31 AM   #18
Jason Bekolay

Profile:

Drew Brees also endorses Pepsi and I don't think you'll get too much positive talk about that here.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bekolay View Post
Drew Brees also endorses Pepsi and I don't think you'll get too much positive talk about that here.
I like Pepsi
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pye View Post
I have no dog in the fight but assuming you told clients it was a MLM, I don't see the issue (product quality not taken into account here). The gyms that sell Progenex or Kill Cliff make money off of it too. I'd assume everything a business sells is for the purpose of making a profit. Why is it different? And if it's because of the margin could you sell for less than 40% profit? Even if not, I'd bet Progenex has a higher margin than that.

(I do not take Progenex or Advo, I do take At Large supps and assume Chris is making money by selling me protein and BCAAs)
No one has a problem with a company selling products for a profit, the issue with MLM is that it is a pyramid scheme that takes advantage of people. Just a slimy type of business.