CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
lean out, keep/improve strength/performance HOW?

I did have a question I wanted to pose to the members here. I have cut before because of bodybuilding, but cutting that way results in being/feeling weak (like crap) so i'd like to drop a few lbs of fat, wondering what kind of eating plan/diet someone who wants to maintain strength/performance but shed some unwanted fat would abide by. I generally have always loved/tried to eat HIGH protein.

I am down to 210-212, from 235+ approx 6months ago, by choice. Pursuing some career goals, will get big again down the road. For now I would like to be 190-205 and carrying just enough fat to be at my strongest. (aka like Rich Froning)

Last edited by Drew Cloutier : 01-10-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: lean out, keep/improve strength/performance HOW?

Calorie counting with drops in small increments as needed. You will keep the majority of your muscle etc. and lose body fat. I have done it a million times with lifters.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet - Weight Loss. (wfs)
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Michael Dries

Profile:

Keeping protein high, probably 1.25-1.5g/lbm
don't dip too low on the fats, maybe .4g/lbm

calorie count and find your maintenance and take away 300-500 calories a day depending on how fast you want to drop weight.

Gonna take a while and you'll have to be mighty strict if you want to keep your strength.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

If you want something more specific, and possibly better, you can try Carb Backloading. It has been gaining some traction among powerlifters for leaning out. I've been giving it a go for a few weeks and am enjoying it, but it's too early for me to definitively recommend it (we've got a thread going HERE (WFS), you can post to if you decide to give it a try).

In multiple studies the types of food and (in at least one one study) the timing of food taken in has been shown to affect retention of lean body mass during weight loss. Makes sense to try a plan that attempts to take advantage of those realities. Kiefer (the author of the Carb Backloading E-book) talks about a lot of factors (and cites a ridiculous number of studies) that makes him think his plan is the best out there for leaning out while maintaining or (supposedly) adding muscle.

Good run down of this plan:
http://www.seanhyson.com/blog/carb-b...ng-book-review (WFS, except for shirtless guy)

A long wandering forum thread where people discuss their experience with CBL in case you want "boots on the ground" opinions.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...5827051&page=1 (largely WFS. Probably some skin showing in peoples avatars and offensive language in print).
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Thanks for all the helpful stuff, I will fully sink my teeth into all the material when i'm at home!
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Jon Branden

Profile:

Obviously, everyone's different, but I've found that working out fasted usually helps me lean out a good amount. I work out first thing in the morning, so rather than eating something/drinking a protein shake before heading to the box (I normally like to get something into my body before working out), I'll just have a cup of tea and a lot of water then head to the gym. I'll do it for a few weeks to a month at a time, and just make sure I'm eating well throughout (i.e., Paleo with plenty of macronutrients). Cutting out bread and dairy will also help immensely. If you drink a recovery shake after working out, mix it with water instead of milk.

You might also want to consider calculating your needed Zone blocks for maintenance, then dropping it by 2 blocks a day (you can do it for free on the Zone website). For that matter, following a strict Zone diet where you weigh all of your food might actually help. Just a few ideas. Good luck, and hope that helps!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Charles Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
For now I would like to be 190-205 and carrying just enough fat to be at my strongest. (aka like Rich Froning)
Oh man, don't we all
Grace - 1:58 Fran - 3:55 CFT - 985
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Mike Jenkins

Profile:

Since I decided to get surgery and not have to worry about being heavy for the Arnold I have been following Carb Nite very strict working with Jesse Burdick and I have gone from right around 390 to 373 in less then a month and what lifts I can perform I feel great.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
Since I decided to get surgery and not have to worry about being heavy for the Arnold I have been following Carb Nite very strict working with Jesse Burdick and I have gone from right around 390 to 373 in less then a month and what lifts I can perform I feel great.
Carb Nite is another plan created by John Kiefer, the guy who created the Carb Backloading plan I mentioned earlier. My understanding is that Carb Nite is a very low carb ketogenic diet plan except for 1 night a week carb binge. Harder to stick to than a Carb Backload plan, but it sounds like most people would lose weight faster with it.