CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Casey Crookston

Profile:
A Paleo / Zone Blend?

So, I'm still learning about Paleo and Zone. I've been reading a lot on both and I've learned a ton, but there is still more knowledge to be gained.

In my former life (five weeks ago ) I used to eat a small mountain of bread every day, my breakfasts consisted of Cheerios, Raisin Bran or other grain heavy cold cereals plus two pieces of toast, and I would wolf down things like pizza and pasta. I ate sweets at will, telling myself that two or three "treats" per day were okay. Oh, and things like chips (Sun Chips, Doritos, etc) were a standard part of my diet. (I don't drink at all, and I don't consume coffee ever, so these are non-issues.)

Four weeks ago all of that changed. I won't go into the history or lead up (already discussed elsewhere on these boards), but suffice it to say, the time was ripe for a change.

Question for the masses: It seems Paleo is a lot more strict on what foods can be eaten and less strict on how much and when to eat. Zone, on the other hand, is more liberal with what foods are "approved", but is very strict on how much and when to eat.

So my question is... What about a blend of the two?

Four weeks ago I started on a fairly strict Paleo diet, but still tossing in some Zone approved but non Paleo approved foods (such as black beans, a bite or two of bread per day (literally, a BITE or two), and some dairy such as a glass of milk, a cheese stick, or a small yogurt).

Is anyone else out there doing the same kind of thing... a Paleo / Zone blend? If so, what are the general thoughts? What kind of results are you seeing? How long have you been doing it?

Four weeks into this I am already down 12 lbs. I just had lunch with a friend who I last saw six weeks ago and he commented that the chub around my cheeks was visibly less since last time I'd seen him.

So, so far I'm happy with my Paleo / Zone blend. But I'm curious if these results will keep up until I've lost my goal of 50 lbs? Or if I will plateau and end up having to pick a strict Paleo or strict Zone?

What are your thoughts? What's been your experience in trying to loose weight/fat?

Thanks,

Casey
Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: A Paleo / Zone Blend?

Most people are doing what you call a "blend." The point to remember and that you seem to be blurring is that Paleo is about the quality of your food, and zone is about the quantity of your food. So, it's not really a blend, but doing both at once. WAM the quantity of paleo foods.

This is really a huge topic, do some reading of almost every thread in this section.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
WAM the quantity of paleo foods.
Ok, I need some help on "WAM" -- not sure what that means.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Weighing and Measuring. the Paleo diet promotes eating foods that are in their most natural state - no processed foods etc. Where as the Zone is all about calorie control for weight loss.

If you simply choose mostly Paleo foods in your diet, you may exercise natural calorie control anyway - often cutting out entire food groups (like grains and dairy) and eating more produce can help people spontaneously reduce kcal intake without having to be all Anal about measuring and whatnot.

For some, the measuring is necessary.

Try cleaning up your diet first, no junk, cook all your own food, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, don't eat cakes and stuff... and see if in a few weeks your weight has reduced somewhat.

Use weighing/measuring as a last resort, no need to do it unless you really have to. It's a pain in the azz anyway, why bother unnecessarily
Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crookston View Post
Ok, I need some help on "WAM" -- not sure what that means.
Means "weighing and measuring." Like Brian said, this topic comes up alot, so you have more than enough threads to search through. FYI, any kind of food can be zoned, so there are no "zone-approved" foods, because by saying so you imply that there are foods that are off limits, which is not the case.

Edit: Ah Laura beat me too it, you're a faster typer heh. +1 to what she said.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Thanks Laura....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
Try cleaning up your diet first, no junk, cook all your own food, eat lots of fruits and vegetables, don't eat cakes and stuff... and see if in a few weeks your weight has reduced somewhat.
Yep, been doing that. For the past four weeks I've been almost straight meats, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts and seeds. (With a few chugs of milk and a cheese stick tossed in from time to time.) I'm already happy with the results.

Thanks for the info.... very helpful.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
FYI, any kind of food can be zoned, so there are no "zone-approved" foods, because by saying so you imply that there are foods that are off limits, which is not the case.
Oh? I did not know that. Interesting. I'll have to go back and re-read my "Entering the Zone" book I picked up. I thought I recall some foods being on the "off-limits" list. But maybe they were just on the "don't eat too many of these" list?
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Crookston View Post
Oh? I did not know that. Interesting. I'll have to go back and re-read my "Entering the Zone" book I picked up. I thought I recall some foods being on the "off-limits" list. But maybe they were just on the "don't eat too many of these" list?
There is only a favorable and nonfavorable list, nothing is off limits. But in order to stay full in between meals/snacks, you want to eat mostly from the favorable list (obviously).
Old 11-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Casey Crookston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
There is only a favorable and nonfavorable list, nothing is off limits. But in order to stay full in between meals/snacks, you want to eat mostly from the favorable list (obviously).
Gotchya.

I noticed that potatoes and carrots were on the Zone non-favorable list. Where do these fall for Paleo?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Michael Dries

Profile:

Starchy tubers are ok for paleo but watch your intake. The reason they are on the zone no-go list is because it's easy to eat a crap ton of carbs with very little volume of those foods. In other words, high glycemic load.

If you're looking to loose body fat I wouldn't go near them very often. (Though don't be a nut and eat around the shaved carrots in your salads, they contain a great amount of vitamins/mins)

I'll give you a little of my own history with dieting, I've lost almost 50lbs since Jun1, 2009, I'm hovering just around 13-14% bf now and I'm finding that last 3-4 percent really hard to loose.

I lost about 20 lbs over 2 months simply cutting out grains and processed foods.

I didn't notice a difference between weighing and measuring and just eating when i was hungry at this point.

I found a sticking point for about a month and then i finally gave up dairy and lost another 10lbs in a month.

I hit yet another sticking point then went to a 16protein, 8 carb, 40 fat paleo/zone and i dropped another 5-6 lbs.

I WAM now because i know I'll under eat protein and over eat fat if I'm left to my own eye balling.

At this point I maybe begin fallowing Mat LaLonde's ultra low carb diet (http://*************/?p=782) as he saw great results and i'm already pretty low carb (50-70 usable grams/day).

Also hit up www.************* if you havent already, lots of great information there, also if you can get yourself to one of his or Mat and bobbi's nutrition certs, it was great experience.

Finally, track your eating via fitday.com or thedailyplate.com. This will give a great idea on how you're doing.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 11-10-2009 at 07:57 PM.