CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
Ok, so I'm six feet tall. Last couple years working out I've been around 165-170lbs. I was about 165 at the Santa Cruz seminar last month, and doing the zone since now I'm down to 159.

Ok, so granted I'm at 159 and I'm at least as strong (if not stronger) than I was at 165 or 170. Here is my thing though, at six feet tall I'd rather be in the 170-180 range. I mean, it's cool to be really lean, I can see all my abs and I can't find an ounce of fat on my body, but I'd really like to get bigger.

I've been doing 4/2s and 5/1s. If I want to get bigger fast should I do 5/2s? 5/3s?

Josh
Old 03-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Eagerly awaiting resonses to this... at 6'3" 165#, I can sympathize with your feelings, Josh.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
SP-Departed

Profile:  
hey Josh, is there a specific reason why you want to get bigger? Just asking because so many bodybuilders want more muscle mass just for looks and don't consider that being fit and healthy is good enough. I used to be over 200 lbs at 5'7. Granted I was big, but i was also carrying alot of fat. Now i'm down to 185, and still trying to get more lean. I've realized that reaching a certain # on the scale means nothing. and extra muscle means nothing if it's not useful.

If it's because you play a sport like football, rugby, wrestling, where the added mass would help, then that's fine. Otherwise, i've noticed that people never bother to ask themselves why they need more muscles, usually it's due to an emotional deficiency. 20'arms ain't gonna get you more respect, attention from girls etc... if your personal character isn't strongly developed.

Look around the gym and see why so many are striving to achieve physical dominance, yet not even knowing why. Certainly not just to be fit.
If i were in your shoes i'd be jumping up and down at being so lean and ripped, and not worry that i need another 10 lbs of muscle to make me happier.

steve
Old 03-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
SP-Departed

Profile:  
To add to my previous post, I think for many of us it's a mentality of "the grass is greener on the other side". Like, if you are a hardgainer, then you will be striving to gain tons of mass, and if you are an endomorph like myself, you want to get as lean and slim.

I know from personal experience that i could eat steaks and chicken all day, lift massive weights and gain 10-20 lbs in a few months. But all I would feel is sluggish and like a pig. As an asian, i've seen many friends kill themselves with creatine, protein powders and whatnot all for a few lbs. For them, genetics made them 5'8, and 135lbs and nothing except roids will change that.

We were all dealt a hand in the game of genetics, maybe it's best we just play it.
(check out pics of Arnold S at 19 if u want proof, dude had pretty much the same build as when he won Mr. O, only just very raw,and not as defined.)
Old 03-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
Josh,
I was in the same boat less than a month ago. I am 5'-11" and weighed about 160 lbs, then started the Zone and CrossFit concurrently. I quickly dropped to almost 155 and consulted with my uncle (a Zone veteran) and he advised that I up the fat in my diet. I am currently around 2x the fat and sometimes more. I am passed my original weight (now approx 163) and leaner than ever. Without the higher amount of fat, you'll drop weight and perhaps be cranky and moody (speaking from experience). Doing CrossFit workouts requires extra calories and upping the fat is the best way. I also added an extra piece of fruit with every meal to get to the correct number of meal blocks (5C-5P-10F). If the fat isn't your problem, then genetics might be your "problem."
Old 03-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
If you want to stop leaning out, you add fat blocks, not increase your total blocks. Start by doubling the fat blocks at each meal and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
Scott Parker

Profile:
josh-

i've been following crossfit for over 2 years now. i stand 6'2" tall, and when i started weighed 165, and through diet and following the WOD seem to have topped out at around 170-172. tried following zone to the letter with 5 meals a day, 5 blocks each, and just can't gain anymore weight.

curious, what was your body fat before and after you lost the weight? you mentioned that you are now stronger than when you weighed more so most of it must have been bodyfat, right? my body went through some changes when i started eating paleo and doing the WOD, but then i actually started gaining weight again, but now this time it was muscle.

just keep going with it, add more fat (but be careful to not add too much because you will be miserable with the GI upset you'll experience!) and take being tall and thin as a blessing! i used to hate the fact that i was thin and couldn't gain weight but don't complain about it anymore. much easier to gain than lose weight, and unlike all of the the bigger guys at my gym, i can crank off pull-ups til the cows come home while they are struggling to get ten!

just be patient, and soon enough you'll be gaining the weight back.

scott
Old 03-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Josh-

Listen to Beth! Add some fat if you are at an acceptable level of leanness. If you can get as lean as possible, basicly wait for performance to dip a little and then start adding fat that may be even better. From there you will need to tinker with what keeps you going. This may be anywhere from 2x-5x. Once you have found your set point add 1 block (C,P,F).

You can and will gain slowly and consistently IF you make your main emphasis on performance improvement. People often make diet and adding calories their main focus and although this is important it is the hormonal environment produced from performance gains that will drive muscle gain.
Keep us posted!
Robb
Old 03-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
Nicole Carroll

Profile:
Josh-

Listen to Robb!
"You can and will gain slowly and consistently IF you make your main emphasis on performance improvement."

Leave your blocks where they are - they are adequate. It's normal to lose weight (fat and water) before gaining muscle. Focus on performance and work with your fat when you get too lean.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Josh - Listen to Nicole!

(just being silly here! but her and Robb (an my own) points are all good))