CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Dakota Smith

Profile:
Multivitamins and extra supps!

I started Crossfit and I absolutely love it! I dont follow Paleo/Zone i just eat all natural and balanced meals.. At the moment I take GNC Megaman Sport and Fishoil in the A.M. then after my workouts i take GNC Micronized Glutamine. and at night i take ZMA. Ive been thinking about replacing these with the WODPAK from www.wodpak.com but im not sure about the supplement. will it benefit me more recovery and strength wise? Or should i just stick with what i am taking right now? I am also not to fond of creatine. I dont like the bloated look i get when i take it. then when i do to many metcons i lose all the weight since its nothing but water. Any suggestions on stacks or packs i should take?

Thanks
Dakota
Old 10-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Multivitamins and extra supps!

Oh Dakota! Your statement indicates you believe some serious misinformation. First, a quality creatine monohydrate does NOT cause bloating and what you gain from it is not all water... Impure creatine products can cause bloating.

That Wod Pak looks fine although I didn't see any specific about dosing of anything in it nor what kind of creatine is in it.

The GNC Multi-Vitamin is really a waste of your money especially if your diet is as you describe.

You didn't mention your training goals so it is hard to make you a recommendation.

Chris
Old 10-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Dakota Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Oh Dakota! Your statement indicates you believe some serious misinformation. First, a quality creatine monohydrate does NOT cause bloating and what you gain from it is not all water... Impure creatine products can cause bloating.

That Wod Pak looks fine although I didn't see any specific about dosing of anything in it nor what kind of creatine is in it.

The GNC Multi-Vitamin is really a waste of your money especially if your diet is as you describe.

You didn't mention your training goals so it is hard to make you a recommendation.

Chris
Thanks for the quick reply Chris! My goal is to gain strength and muscle mass. Im 70" 140 lbs. I am weak. I feel that increasing my muscle mass will also cause minor body fat increase. I want to stay lean but I do realize consuming more calories will cause a little increase in bf %. I would love to start Paleo but I am in the Marines and it is very expensive and hard to cook in the barracks room. the only appliance i own are a refrigerator, microwave, skillet, blender and george foreman. Anyways why do you say the Multi is a complete waste of money! Does this info help any for recommendations as well as tips?

Dakota
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Smith View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Chris! My goal is to gain strength and muscle mass. Im 70" 140 lbs. I am weak. I feel that increasing my muscle mass will also cause minor body fat increase. I want to stay lean but I do realize consuming more calories will cause a little increase in bf %. I would love to start Paleo but I am in the Marines and it is very expensive and hard to cook in the barracks room. the only appliance i own are a refrigerator, microwave, skillet, blender and george foreman. Anyways why do you say the Multi is a complete waste of money! Does this info help any for recommendations as well as tips?

Dakota
If you eat a relatively unprocessed varied diet you are likely not deficient in micronutrients.

Yes, you are very thin. If you want to gain weight then creatine is definitely a supplement you should consider.

Aside from supplements, if you want to gain lean muscle mass you need to train for that goal. That means training for hypertrophy without overtraining. You also need to eat for the goal. You need to consume significantly more calories than you currently consume.

What kind of equipment do you have access to?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Dakota Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you eat a relatively unprocessed varied diet you are likely not deficient in micronutrients.

Yes, you are very thin. If you want to gain weight then creatine is definitely a supplement you should consider.

Aside from supplements, if you want to gain lean muscle mass you need to train for that goal. That means training for hypertrophy without overtraining. You also need to eat for the goal. You need to consume significantly more calories than you currently consume.

What kind of equipment do you have access to?
We have a Crossfit box here on base... The only thing we do not have access to is Ropes. Now what about Paleo diet in my situation? Do I really need to or should i just eat how I do now (around 6 meals a day: Main meals are around 350 to 400 cal. and snacks around 250 cal) I usually have a cheat meal on the weekend. I dont really like counting macros due to the fact i freak out when i have meals exceeding calories of 450. Sometimes i have to eat what is provided. I normally do my WODs during lunch and started back swimming in the evenings. Im more nervous about bf% increase and weight gain since i was 200lbs of fat a few years back and I scared I'll end up seeing bad body comp if I mess up with nutrition and training. Any tips? Advice?

Dakota
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Ryan Cogan

Profile:

What's up man! I am in a similar situation to you. About 2 yrs ago I decided I was going to join the military but I was a 200# weakling who needed to get his priorities straight. Fast forward a year and I lost 50# and was very good with all kinds of endurance exercise but at 150 at 71" I was pretty small. I ended up getting DQ from the navy for a bulging disc... Whatever moving on. Now my goal is to really ad some mass and strength. I was sustaining about 150-155 so added about 600 kcal to my diet. (fruit veggie egg meat rice milk) not really watching what I eat. I take creatine mono and Nitrean+ protein. I added about 10lbs in 45 days. My CFT went up about 150#s in 2 months and I was pumped. So really what I am getting at here is you shouldn't be afraid of getting back to that fatty status. You have a stronger metabolism now and if you are doing the right workouts then your body isn't going to gain alot of fat or at least it won't show as much as you think. I was scared of it but ended up just going for it and I am really happy that I did.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Dakota Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cogan View Post
What's up man! I am in a similar situation to you. About 2 yrs ago I decided I was going to join the military but I was a 200# weakling who needed to get his priorities straight. Fast forward a year and I lost 50# and was very good with all kinds of endurance exercise but at 150 at 71" I was pretty small. I ended up getting DQ from the navy for a bulging disc... Whatever moving on. Now my goal is to really ad some mass and strength. I was sustaining about 150-155 so added about 600 kcal to my diet. (fruit veggie egg meat rice milk) not really watching what I eat. I take creatine mono and Nitrean+ protein. I added about 10lbs in 45 days. My CFT went up about 150#s in 2 months and I was pumped. So really what I am getting at here is you shouldn't be afraid of getting back to that fatty status. You have a stronger metabolism now and if you are doing the right workouts then your body isn't going to gain alot of fat or at least it won't show as much as you think. I was scared of it but ended up just going for it and I am really happy that I did.
thanks ryan for the motivation!!! i just dont want to develop an eating disorder of some kind. but im going for it. to me i dont really see the harm in eating sweet potatoes and other legumes and grains especially post workout. i feel more recovered than anything. not a leaky gut as described with the paleo.... what supplements did you take or take at the moment?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
Ryan Cogan

Profile:

I am currently taking Nitrean+ protein powder and creatine monohydrate as creapure. I just ordered some Beta-Alanine and dextrose and will be moving my creatine to the morning with the dextrose and BA. I have been out of the gym for 3 weeks due to a minor surgery and I am starting up again light this Monday. I cant wait to get back and I am really hoping the BA and creatine work as well as they are supposed to.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Dakota Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Cogan View Post
I am currently taking Nitrean+ protein powder and creatine monohydrate as creapure. I just ordered some Beta-Alanine and dextrose and will be moving my creatine to the morning with the dextrose and BA. I have been out of the gym for 3 weeks due to a minor surgery and I am starting up again light this Monday. I cant wait to get back and I am really hoping the BA and creatine work as well as they are supposed to.
Now if you look at earlier posts in this thread where i talk about diet Paleo/zone. what do you think? seeing what appliances i can use? and being military? what do your breakfast look like? are they post workout type or pre wod type? shakes or whole food? since you say dextrose in the morning im guessing the shakes are post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Ryan Cogan

Profile:

I eat my breakfast about 2hrs before my daily workout. Once I am back to training. I will be doing 4 eggs + shake w/ dextrose BA and creatine mono.
I don't think you should be limiting your calories so much for your goals. I am not an expert and you should probably look through Chris' older posts as alot of the info he gives out is gold. Also 450cal meals is really small. I have made a tuna melt before that was delicious and it came to about 700+ cals. If you want to add weight and mass I think you should forget about paleo and zone and add at least 500 cals to what you are currently eating. I don't really follow any diet plan now because it just gets to me too much and then I don't eat enough.