CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Ken Hong

Profile:
Seams between stall mats & stall mats moving

Hi all. I just laid down new cow/horse stall mats over concrete in my garage this past weekend. Got the ones from TSC. Seems to me that the stall mats don't line up exactly. Even when pushed together, there are gaps along the way. This is especially evident where 4 corners meet. Does this usually go away after a period of time? Or is there something I can do to help them stay together better?

Also, I notice the mats seem to move apart from each other when I did burpees with hands planted on one mat and feet on another. I don't have anything underneath the mats and I did a pretty thorough job of sweeping prior. Anyone else have this problem, or better yet, have a solution?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Mike Hollister

Profile:
Re: Seams between stall mats & stall mats moving

If you want them to fit perfectly you pretty much have to get the puzzle ones. They migrate. Not enough to matter though IMO. You have the 3/4" ones? They don't move much at my place.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Mike Gin

Profile:

There is going to be some minor variation in size of the stall mats. So unless you measure each one and try to trim them down to be exactly the same size, you will have some slight gaps. Only if you're OCD should it be a problem...

Also, heat and cold will impact them as well. Expansion/contraction. If some have sunlight hitting them while others don't, there may be some variation there too.

As for movement, the ones on the ends will always move some even though they are 100#. I have loaded pretty heavy objects on the end of mine (GHD), squat rack so that helps lock the others in place some. But there is still some movement. Going to be tough to avoid.

I would just deal with it, but if you can't, here are some things you could try (I haven't used this stuff so can't give any feedback but they were designed for rubber mats):

http://www.therubberman.com/rubberma...0-sealant.html (wfs)

http://www.allmats.com/site/439205/page/872620 (wfs)

http://www.rubbercal.com/Adhesive_Ru...g_Matting.html (wfs)

You could glue seams together or you could glue the perimeter ones to the ground (might present problems with expansion/contraction).

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

If you are open to drilling a couple holes and anchoring the outer mats in your concrete floor, that pretty much keeps mine from moving. It was actually inadvertent though as I was trying to anchor band attachments, but it works just as well to keep the mats from moving.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Chris Mills

Profile:

We just used some double sided gorilla tape to secure the outside mats, this traps all the interior mats. Also when you lay them down a 2x4 and sledge hammer is great for getting them tight.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Dylan Serbin

Profile:

You could also drill small holes in the mats and use some black zip-ties. You could even heat up the rubber a bit with a hair dryer so you can pull the zip-ties really tight so there is little sticking out... if you care that much.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Ken Hong

Profile:

Appreciate all the awesome suggestions. I like the double-sided tape idea, as it doesn't involve any drilling, and is only semi-permanent. Seems painless enough to give it a shot first and go from there.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Tom Taylor

Profile:

Hi Ken,

I second the double sided carpet/flooring tape as mentioned above. This is what we use when not glueing the flooring down. It works best with rolled rubber flooring but will work with stall mats. If the mats have texture(diamond plating style) you may have a problem but if they are fairly flat you should be good. Make sure you are working with a clean surface both the underside of the mat and the floor/sub floor. Pick a test spot and do a practice run, tape down the mat and do some plyo movements on it, burpees, jump & land,etc. and you should know if you're good to go. If you want to make sure they don't move at all you can tape a couple to few inches in from the outside edge of the mat then do a second strip that tapes the adjacent mats together meaning 2" wide tape split 1" on each of the mats. If it is a large area you may want to see if you can rent a floor tape applicator as it can get pretty messy doing a large area by hand.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Rob Brown

Profile:

Good to know, we have 3/4 8x4 mats, and they don't move at all and you can burpee on one without hitting a seam. I never thought that the 6x4's would move.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

I am gonna try the tape idea for my stall mats. I also had the same issue with my platform it has migrated about two inches in the last year. The big issue is that a sledge hammer wouldn't move it nor could I lift it. Any ideas on moving that guy?