CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #841
Kevin Benson
Member Kevin Benson is offline
 
Kevin Benson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parker  CO
Posts: 253
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Lauren, thanks for posting that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #842
Courtney Green
Member Courtney Green is offline
 
Courtney Green's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa  AL
Posts: 195
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Tonight was a killer night for the 6 o'clock crew. Rick pretty much smoked us- speed box squats followed by a session of one-legged burpees and core work (many sets of each, all in a circuit), fire hose sprints, stone rolls, and other explosive leg work. Not to mention, it's been pretty hot outside. Very intense, everyone did well! The stuff we do requires a lot of mental toughness- and that's one thing I've really developed a lot of since I've been at Ultimate Advantage.

I'm now on Week 11 and the results just keep getting better and better. I hit a 15# bench press PR last night (and for 3 reps at that...who knows where my actual 1RM is) and did sets of hang power clean to overhead press at 125# and 135# (with fairly strict pressing). My speed and explosiveness is getting crazy too. Earlier today, we were working some speed/explosiveness drills and I absolutely killed it. Rick was very happy! Everything is feeling easier and easier- or better put, I'm accomplishing more and more with the same energy output.

I'm amped up for the rest of the week and can't wait to see how things go! The combine is getting closer and closer but I'm feeling more and more confident that I'm going to do really well 5 more weeks to go!
__________________
Green Machine Strong Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #843
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

That's awesome Courtney.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #844
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Multiple PR's set having implemented UA for the past few months. Sorry I don't get on here often anymore, things are moving break neck around here and finding time to be on here is tough.

Cycled back through for Back Squat 1RM's this past Monday

Bill 40# PR -now at 441#

Jes 10# PR -now at 230#

There were many other PR's those were the ones I remember off the top of my head. I'll get everyone else's numbers. Big Bench Press coming this week! Expecting more great numbers.

Gearing the group up for a meet Jul 14th here in San Diego, will post results for sure!
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #845
Vladimir Musman
Member Vladimir Musman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sterling  VA
Posts: 86
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Green View Post
Tonight was a killer night for the 6 o'clock crew. Rick pretty much smoked us- speed box squats followed by a session of one-legged burpees and core work (many sets of each, all in a circuit), fire hose sprints, stone rolls, and other explosive leg work. Not to mention, it's been pretty hot outside. Very intense, everyone did well! The stuff we do requires a lot of mental toughness- and that's one thing I've really developed a lot of since I've been at Ultimate Advantage.

I'm now on Week 11 and the results just keep getting better and better. I hit a 15# bench press PR last night (and for 3 reps at that...who knows where my actual 1RM is) and did sets of hang power clean to overhead press at 125# and 135# (with fairly strict pressing). My speed and explosiveness is getting crazy too. Earlier today, we were working some speed/explosiveness drills and I absolutely killed it. Rick was very happy! Everything is feeling easier and easier- or better put, I'm accomplishing more and more with the same energy output.

I'm amped up for the rest of the week and can't wait to see how things go! The combine is getting closer and closer but I'm feeling more and more confident that I'm going to do really well 5 more weeks to go!

Courtney, hi. I would like to say hi to you on here and introduce myself in this thread also. Rick has been kind enough to invite me to train at Ultimate Advantage, and I will be blogging about it on my blog and cross-posting here.

Please enjoy my first entry which chronicles how I chanced upon getting invited to train at Ultimate Advantage!

http://intensitybringsresults.blogsp...-train-me.html (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #846
Vladimir Musman
Member Vladimir Musman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sterling  VA
Posts: 86
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

I did the write-up on my first training day yesterday...

It was intense and I am happy and honored to be able to train at Ultimate Advantage. I now understand the reaon people speak so highly of Rick and his methods. I was consistently at my limits throughout the whole session, and the way I felt when done - was pretty much dazed and confused. Thinking back on yesterday, I am extremely happy with being able to train there for the next few weeks.

http://blog.intensitybringsresults.c...d-say-one.html (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #847
Paulo Santos
Banned Paulo Santos is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hopatcong  NJ
Posts: 2,164
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Musman View Post
I did the write-up on my first training day yesterday...

It was intense and I am happy and honored to be able to train at Ultimate Advantage. I now understand the reaon people speak so highly of Rick and his methods. I was consistently at my limits throughout the whole session, and the way I felt when done - was pretty much dazed and confused. Thinking back on yesterday, I am extremely happy with being able to train there for the next few weeks.

http://blog.intensitybringsresults.c...d-say-one.html (WFS)
I just read your blog and had some flash backs (more like Post Trematic Stress Disorder), from doing those same things. The only thing you didn't do was the one where you jump in and out of the tires. That one nearly killed me. LOL.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #848
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

First update here in a while:
I've been training 3 people with a UA template since the Open ended: one is an almost 40 doctor with little strength training background and some past injuries (shoulder and back). Two others are younger CFers, one in his 20's one in his 30's.

It's going great! All my trainees have been PRing everything including a few CF workouts than we threw in for testing purposes (I've been PRing all my upper body stuff but not all my lower body stuff, still need more tweaks. Haven't been doing enough heavy back work in particular, I think, and I need to eat more. Did power clean 290#, which is cool. 300# here I come!). Today one of my guys did a 2:23 Grace, down from ~3:40 early this year, then worked up to a 345 back squat triple despite only feeling comfortable with 305 a couple months ago when I called for a squat 2RM. The other guy put up a 3:29 Isabel, cutting like 40% off his time from 6 months ago, and he also set a Memorial Day Murph PR despite that being way outside our normal time domain. That guy also did a local competition this weekend and said he could DEFINITELY tell that he was more explosive as he flung around atlas stones and other stuff.

Another thing I'm happy with is how things are going with the doctor. As a somewhat older trainee with past injuries I was a little worried about pushing near 1RM weights regularly--and at first I didn't--but he has been eager to push himself and with the variety of exercises, prehab I program in, exclusion of riskier CF exercises, and a little extra attention, it has been a non-issue. Ultimately the workouts are hard but don't beat you into the ground the way some CF workouts do or make me feel unsafe.
__________________
CERTIFICATIONS: CSCS, CrossFit LVL 1
SEMINARS: Starting Strength, Ultimate Advantage, CFE, CF O-lifting, MovNat
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #849
Lauren Croce
Member Lauren Croce is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Middletown  NY
Posts: 65
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I just read your blog and had some flash backs (more like Post Trematic Stress Disorder), from doing those same things. The only thing you didn't do was the one where you jump in and out of the tires. That one nearly killed me. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir Musman View Post
I did the write-up on my first training day yesterday...

It was intense and I am happy and honored to be able to train at Ultimate Advantage. I now understand the reaon people speak so highly of Rick and his methods. I was consistently at my limits throughout the whole session, and the way I felt when done - was pretty much dazed and confused. Thinking back on yesterday, I am extremely happy with being able to train there for the next few weeks.

http://blog.intensitybringsresults.c...d-say-one.html (WFS)

Vladimir, I'm sorry I missed your first day! I'm usually at UA (to the point that Rick yells at me to go home), but last night I had a soccer game. Congrats on surviving your first day. I'll agree with Paulo - you should be super grateful you didn't have to do tire jumps. Those are possibly my least favorite things. Your body will be able to do a lot more than your mind wants to do. Keep pushing yourself mentally. Focus on the movement you're doing at the moment and don't concern yourself with what's coming next. The next few weeks will bring you tremendous gains. Looking forward to meeting you soon!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #850
Courtney Green
Member Courtney Green is offline
 
Courtney Green's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa  AL
Posts: 195
Re: My day with Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage (Westside 4 Athletes)

Hi Vladimir! It was nice meeting you the other night. Keep it going, you're going to see tremendous gains in just the first month. And great first blog post! Can't wait to read more.

And yes, I agree, don't like the tire jumps! Especially jumping back into the tire when you've jumped out to the side of it. Super awkward with the tires he has, for some reason.
__________________
Green Machine Strong Blog
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westside 4 Athletes Chris Mason Fitness 29 09-29-2012 08:10 PM
Westside for athletes Dave Traeger Fitness 12 10-26-2011 06:08 PM
Recent day at Westside Chris Mason Fitness 6 12-23-2010 02:43 PM
Viagra. Does Viagra give athletes a competitive advantage? Steve Sheffar Stuff and Nonsense 16 12-15-2008 02:11 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.