CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
Courtney Quinones

Profile:
Question Am I in the right place?

Hello!

I am not so new to CrossFit (I've known about it for some time and even incorporated some of the exercises into my workouts) but I am just starting to exclusively use the WODs. I can't afford to join a CrossFit gym just yet so I am having to modify a lot of the routines to fit the space and equipment at my gym as well as my fitness level. I'd like to at least do some sessions with a CrossFit trainer, but until then, I'm on my own. I have some questions that I would love some help with.....(forgive the list)...

First, a brief background: I am 33 years old, 5'8", 125lbs. I am not looking to bulk up at all. My general fitness goals are basically to get in better shape so that moving a chair across the room doesn't tire me out. I would love to build up my calves, tone my arms and stomach and shrink my back end, but I know those will all come soon enough. Really, my biggest goal is to be able to do 5 pull-ups. I can't do one. I have never been able to do one. I have very little upper body strength and would like to improve that.

So, here's my questions:

1. Is CrossFit right for me?
2. Is the end of the year too soon to be able to reach my pull-up goal?
3. Should I just proceed with the WODs or do I need to add some pull-ups if they're not already there?
4. Is it better to use the Graviton for assisted pull-ups (it makes my grip really wide and I feel like I'm in less control even though I have the weight to help me up) or a box under the pull-up bar with jumps, resisting on the way down? Also, underhand or overhand grip?

That's a lot. Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Nik Nichols

Profile:
Re: Am I in the right place?

My .02

1. you have to answere that. I say you are in the right place. We all scale workouts. That is the bueaty of it.

2. Maybe to soon, but not imposible.

3.and 4. You should do pullups(band assisted or jumping) in your warm up every day.
No gravitron. Use body weight.

Doing jumping pullups drop from the bar fast, dont drop slow.

Baby steps. Fitness is life long, take you time, stay away from over doing it. Let it happen, it will.

Welcome. Oh and start a workout log, it helps. (got to the workout log sectioon)
Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

1. Probably. If you're looking for the type of fitness that will make you more capable at your everyday tasks, CF is a good place to start.
2. It's possible. Baby steps though, worry about getting that first pullup, then 2, then 3...
3. The WODs already have plenty of pullups in them so it's unlikely you'll need to add more.
4. Don't do a lot of negative (i.e. slow on the way down) pullups. That's a good way to get rhabdo. Use a rubber band or Gravitron for assistance and slowly decrease the help you're getting from it.

Oh, and if you want to get in better shape, strike the words "tone" and "bulk up" from your vocabulary. At your height and weight you're probably pretty slender and you're not going to sprout huge muscles overnight. You won't look like a female bodybuilder unless you train and "supplement" like one. However adding some muscle mass will be necessary for continued strength gains, and most intelligent men like what a little muscle mass in the right places does for a woman's appearance.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Courtney Quinones

Profile:

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I see the CF official warm-up (which I haven't noticed until now, thanks, Nik.) but is there a cool down? Should I also be stretching significantly post WOD? I usually take about 5 to 10 minutes to stretch whatever muscles I've just used.

....and eric, point taken about the vocab. done and thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

5'8" 125 is tiny. Assuming muscle gain, which you will get from CF, I think 135-140 would be good.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Quinones View Post
So, here's my questions:

1. Is CrossFit right for me? Probably. Crossfit means many different things to many different people so it is likely that there is a definition of "crossfit" out there that meets your needs.

2. Is the end of the year too soon to be able to reach my pull-up goal?Probably not.

3. Should I just proceed with the WODs or do I need to add some pull-ups if they're not already there? The best way to accomplish a specific goal is to train to acheive that specific goal. Mainsite WODs are GPP.

4. Is it better to use the Graviton for assisted pull-ups (it makes my grip really wide and I feel like I'm in less control even though I have the weight to help me up) or a box under the pull-up bar with jumps, resisting on the way down? Also, underhand or overhand grip? I prefer bands to the gravitron. I prefer overhand grip. Jumping pullups are fine if programmed correctly.

That's a lot. Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/226 WFS!

Article on pullup training for women.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Quinones View Post
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I see the CF official warm-up (which I haven't noticed until now, thanks, Nik.) but is there a cool down? Should I also be stretching significantly post WOD? I usually take about 5 to 10 minutes to stretch whatever muscles I've just used.

....and eric, point taken about the vocab. done and thanks.
Your welcome. Do the warm up . And if need be I warm up with it and focus on what the workout is going to be.

Coold down is a good idea if you have time. Foam rolling and streching is good after workout too.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
Benjamin R. Greene

Profile:

My .02.

1. Yes.

2. Possibly not.

3. I like just sticking with the WODs. It should be plenty challenging.

4. I would suggest the Gravitron with an overhand grip.

Welcome aboard, have fun, be careful not to overdo it, and enjoy!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Austin Engle

Profile:

1 - Yes
2 - It's an achievable goal. Keeping in mind I'm a guy, in 3 months, I went from 1 pull up to 8, and recently did 20 in a row 9 months later, and that number is still climbing.
3 - If a WOD has pull ups in it or you did pull ups the day before, don't do them in your warm up; Otherwise, do 10 pull ups during your warm up.
4 - Gravitation assisted is a good way to go versus negative pull ups. As you get stronger, remove some of the resistance until you don't need it anymore. A good goal would be to remove 1 plate, or band or whatever every time you do pull ups in your warm up.

You can also use your foot on a chair to assist you getting up. Also, try to learn the process of kipping pull ups. If you can get that down, you'll be able to knock out 5 pull ups in no time!

Lastly, Overhand Grip will strengthen your back more, underhand takes work off the back and puts them into the biceps. If you want to start off with underhand, and work your way to overhand down the road, you could do that, or you could switch it up and do them different every time.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Courtney Quinones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Your welcome. Do the warm up . And if need be I warm up with it and focus on what the workout is going to be.

Coold down is a good idea if you have time. Foam rolling and streching is good after workout too.
awesome. thanks again.