CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Angela Hardin

Profile:
Can you help me get motivated?

Greetings! This is my second forum I have ever joined; first being Oxygen Magazine Forum and those people were so mean to me. I asked for advice and they ganged up on me and ran me out. I swore to never join another forum again until my husband told me about this one.

So, that being said, I am so excited to read what tips you have to help get me motivated. I am ready to do this-I hope for real this time.

Basically, I am 35 5'6 150lbs and only have 15-20lbs to lose. My husband and me began this challenge Jan 2009 after my Endocrinologist demanded I lose 30lbs. I have lost 10lbs and he has lost 100lbs! During our journey I have not been able to stick to the plan. I get frustrated from the bland food choices, weak upper body strength, I cant do one push-up, it took me months to learn to jog at 4.5 for only 1 mile, I get depressed and angry with myself. I have quit 100 times to my 20 times of actually working out. I admit I never had the motivation to begin with. My husband has tried everything! He freakin lost 100lbs and my doctor has threatened to kick me out of her practice, yet I still eat bad.

Being a diabetic, when I eat bad I actually feel good. Like a high...then I crash and feel bad for days. I think thatís the reason I have given up. Food is like a drug to me. Working out is dreadful! Eating bland foods is dreadful!! I have no motivation, no inspiration (except my thin husband), no dedication, and absolutely no self-control or discipline! How did you do it and could you help inspire me without the harsh comments.

Thanks for taking time to read my post..... I am so excited to read your comments!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Can you help me get motivated?

Quote:
I have no motivation, no inspiration (except my thin husband), no dedication, and absolutely no self-control or discipline!
Nothing motivates you? Absolutely nothing? You have no reason to lose 20 more pounds?

I won't be harsh about this, but I'm struggling with the idea that you could find motivation from a bunch of Internet strangers when you, your husband, and your doctor can't do it.

That said, I do hope you find some sustainable motivation. In the end, that's what you need. None of us are with you every day to drive you when you can't/won't drive yourself. You need to find it inside.

- Mark
Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Motivation is what you think about to get you to move from thinking to acting. It is a learned skill, not something you have or don't have or something that someone else can help you get.

The best self-motivators are the benefits associated with the actions (not the outcomes...weight loss, etc.) that lead up to the outcomes. So, my advice is to write down the actions you need to take, then write down the benefits that you can realize today from those actions...think about those benefits do get yourself to act. All you have to do is one action. If you rely on outcomes for self-motivation, you will always be on a roller coaster. Also, aim for performance...it should bother you that you can't do a push-up. Welcome to CrossFit.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #4
Nate Simmons

Profile:

Nope...nobody here can motivate you. We can advise, support, cheer, empathise, etc but can't motivate. You have sole responsibility for that one.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Is there a medical reason why you are eating bland food? If not, quit doing it. Garlic, ginger, and red pepper (for example) have essentially no calories and should, IMO, be part of any sustainable diet. There is absolutely no reason why healthy food can't taste good.

As for motivation... what Nate and Mark said. If the people who know you best can't figure out how to get you moving, none of us can either. Why do you *want* to change your habits?

Katherine
Old 01-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I think if I was diabetic I would be all about mitigating my condition through diet and exercise, thereby reducing the possibility having to have my leg amputated due to complications from the disease. That would be pretty good motivation for me.

Not to mention quality of life improvements in general--being strong, active, and able to do things for myself late into life appeal to me a lot.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Angela -

You're new here, so a quick bit of advice.

Hopefully, nobody will be harsh or gang up on you. BUT, for the most part, we're a pretty frank, realistic, and to-the-point bunch. Don't misinterpret frank for harsh.

When you get answers (such as mine) that put the burden back on you, it's not because we're being rude, inconsiderate, or discouraging. It's because we think that's the best answer to give you. You can and should get support, but it needs to be local and start with you.

I encourage you to really read through the answers that you get in this thread and take them to heart. Some of them may be difficult to accept, but they are well-intentioned and worth your consideration.

Best,

Mark
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Hardin View Post

Being a diabetic, when I eat bad I actually feel good. Like a high...then I crash and feel bad for days. I think thatís the reason I have given up. Food is like a drug to me. Working out is dreadful! Eating bland foods is dreadful!!
Being a diabetic myself (type 1), I can ASSURE you that if you get yourself under control for a good period of time, you will feel so much better all the time.

Bland foods need only be bland until you find ways to spice them up- check out the paleo cookbook or whatever it is, experiment a little with garlic and paprika and nutmeg and stuff...

And in the end- just do it.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Angela Hardin

Profile:

Mark,

I almost had a panic attack after reading your post! Literally! I had a flash back of Oxygen all over again! The last people scared me away, not because of being frank, but because a dude was calling me names....your comments were a little harsh, but I needed that! I am very shy, I see my husband on here all the time, and everyone is wonderful and cool! So, I thank you sincerely for your honesty. Yes, it did sting a bit, but you all are right on!

I guess, you all are my last resort. I have never been in any sports, teams, or physical challenges. So I am glad to join CF.....

Diabetes is a challenge. Most diabetics are in denial, I know this because they are my patients. Its the leading cause of blindness, I see it first hand in my job. Yet, they continue to be bad eaters, and the worst patients I must say.

I know what you are going to say...NO I dont want to lose my toes, legs, or eyes, or be one of those bad patients!! Its hard to admit that I am diabetic because I forget how I feel and I am not overweight. Most days I feel good because the bad food gives me that high. I guess I need to join an addiction support group.

Yes, I want to be strong...and Yes I definitely want to be able to do more than 1 push up. I understand that I am the only one to make it happen. Just would like a push in the right direction.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Angela Hardin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Being a diabetic myself (type 1), I can ASSURE you that if you get yourself under control for a good period of time, you will feel so much better all the time.

That is actually what I want! To feel good all the time! I am type2 and well controlled with metformin. I was diagnosed with diabetes 2005 age 30.

Never heard of paleo diet. Is it eat clean-which is what we have been doing. Hmm never thought about the seasoning part. I am latina and grew up with rice. I love-love-love rice Can I have rice with paleeo?