CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
Jay Rhodes

Profile:
A Work In Progress....The Snatch

Snatch Attempts (wfs)

Pretty raw on these. This is only my third time working up to snatch 1RM. Prior to today my PR was 150lbs.
I have an idea of what I've got to work on, and these are WAY better than last time, but any constructive criticism is welcomed. Its always helpful to have another set of eyes for the O-lifts.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:
Re: A Work In Progress....The Snatch

Not bad for your 3rd heavy day. What's your body weight?

Here we go:
Your hips are too high. Period
You will never get your full power into the lift if the hips start so high. Also it hampers your ability to get under the bar if you leave your hips behind you

Each lift can be critiqued differently, but some trends:
1) hips lower (as mentioned)
2) when the weight gets heavier, get your back tighter, it started to round and your hips started to really shoot up
3) at 165 (i think) your head was looking down. Your body follows the head, so don't look down.
4) the name of the game is smooth lifting. There is a definite pause between the first and second pull. make it one movement, otherwise all momentum is lost. But again it is partially a function of your hips
5) Work towards making all your lifts look the same.

Notice a trend? Get your hips lower at the start!
also you will probably only be able to work on only 1 of these concepts at a time, and focusing on corrections at lower weight is the only real way to make solid changes.

good luck man!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Thanks Tony!
I noticed the hips too...I think I should just work on deadlifting the bar to the proper position first.

Bodyweight is 164-166lbs
Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Peter Terry Haas

Profile:

Hopefully what Tony said will fix a problem downstream, if not...

You've got great speed and aggression, but you are basically banging the bar forward with your hips and then trying to swing it back over your head. You have too much horizontal bar movement instead of primarily vertical. Which makes you either miss forward or fight to keep from missing backwards.

Tall muscle snatches and muscle snatches should help you smooth out your bar path. After that switching to modified hang snatches will help you start putting things together. Don't go hips back to start like you normally would, just dip straight down (knees only bend) like you are doing a push press. Then jump and squat normally.

I rarely say this to people but don't worry about moving so fast right now. You are trying to use speed to compensate for technique. Get the movement right first then add the speed.

cheers.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Sean Smith

Profile:

Do the Burgener warm up before you start. That alone will help you. Remember to get up on your toes when you fully open your hips.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Jay,
You seem to be finishing the extension of the hips a bit late, past the end of the second pull. Close but not quite. That's why you're losing the heavier lifts out front.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Rhodes View Post
Thanks Tony!
I noticed the hips too...I think I should just work on deadlifting the bar to the proper position first.

Bodyweight is 164-166lbs
that's great then. Over body weight is I think the 1st goal especially for those of us who are not 120kg like myself.

Beyond deadlifts, and adding onto what Peter said, I'd do a lot of bar work (as in with an empty broom stick). In fact I still do a lot of that. But he trick is to do it slow and "grease the grove"

Again echoing Peter, no matter what form element you fix first, make sure you do it every time then add to it. Make each lift look the same. My coaching point for this is the word "Routine." Make each repetition look routine.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Jay,
You seem to be finishing the extension of the hips a bit late, past the end of the second pull. Close but not quite. That's why you're losing the heavier lifts out front.
This is because his hips are too high at the start. If the back is perpendicular to the floor, one will never get the hips into it. One will always be loosing the bar forward.