CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Weight vest - worth it?

I am looking for some advice from the community.

I'm close to purchasing a weight vest but, given the cost (~$300), I don't want to make a poor decision. Right now I'm looking at a v-max short 100lbs. Undecided on regular or narrow shoulders.

While I welcome advice on specific models, I'm more interested in whether weight vest owners feel like the level of utility to cost has been worth it to you. I've thought it over a lot and in theory I think I'll get a lot of use out of it - conditioning, body weight pulls and presses, ab wheel, sprinting, plyometrics. My programming is slightly more body weight focused than most CFers, if that helps. Okay, enough rambling...I'm just asking whether or not you've been happy with your weight vest purchase in light of the cost. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Gary Ohm

Profile:
Re: Weight vest - worth it?

I am happy with mine. I also do more body weight stuff than what is usually rx'd for crossfit workouts. I can tell you that if you do plyos in 100# you will get hurt. I don't care who you are.

I had big dreams of doing sprints and hills and box jumps in the vest. It doesn't work. These are speed drills. If you want to get stronger with your vest, great. But leave the speed work for getting FASTER. Faster means quicker turnover.

What vests are AWESOME for are: chins, dips, ab wheels, box STEPS, lunges, body squats, plank presses, pistols.

Unless you are built like Ronnie Coleman (or Ross Enamait...) I think 100# will be MORE than enough of a challenge. I would recommend narrow shoulders myself. I think the extra mobility is of greater benefit than the extra surface area of padding.

There is a member here who is a MiR distributor, at least that is who I bought mine through.

Enjoy your vest.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Thanks, Gary. That's interesting what you said about sprints and plyo work. It's my understanding that these vests are scalable...so just because it's a 100lbs vest, taking out 60lbs and using it as a 40lbs vest, for example, is straightforward. Is that not the case?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Absolutely you can scale them. My trouble is taking the weights out then I somehow lose the danged things. But yes, you can scale them and use whatever weight you want. Starting with 100# you'll have ultimate versatility.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Jeremy Loo

Profile:

Hey Scott, I got the short 60 lb for Christmas with narrow shoulders and I love it, I try and use it every chance I get, and if you buy a high quality one I will be well worth the investment. I have et to load it fully, but the other day I was doing pull ups with 40 lb in and then running a mile and I thought I was going to die. 100 lb vest will definatley give you a lot of use.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I have a 40lbs xvest. I honestly can't really imagine ever needing something close to 100lbs. When you put on a 40lbs vest and try to do burpees it's horrible to even do 1.

There was a video with Josh Everett doing them at a sectional the other day on the main site. They were 30lbs I think and he even said it was like it sucked you to the ground.

At 40lbs it's pretty rough on the ankles and joints for any kind of sprinting/jumping. It's ok for weighted pullups or step ups or dips or something but if you wanted to go over 40lbs you could just add a dumbell or weight belt or something.

So yeah, I like mine and think it's cool, but I'd seriously consider whether I needed 100lbs.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

I just ordered a Box vest from weightvests.com (wfs). I ordered a 40# short & narrow.

In addition to using it for training, I'd like to wear it when I walk my dogs, just for extra challenge, and added weight bearing exercise for my bone density. However, I'm afraid I'll look like I have a bomb strapped to my body and someone will freak out.

Anybody had this happen?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Casey Raiford

Profile:

100lbs is a pretty crazy amount of weight to wear. There are a couple of vests at my box and I use old body armor to train in. Just about any sort of gymnastics benefit from them, as well as a lot of metcon. I pretty routinely do short sprints, 100M or less. One of my favorite things to do is lawmower sprints uphill and recovery downhill.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Thank you all for the replies. I know that 100lbs is a lot (too much for me) for conditioning. But I can do pull ups and dips with 100lbs on the dip belt, so I figure I'll also be able to use a similar amount of weight for bodyweight rows and push ups.

If you take, for example, 60lbs out of a 100lbs vest is the 100lbs vest loaded with 40lbs unbalanced or problematic in some other way? Because my thinking is to get 100lbs so I can use it ~fully loaded for maximal strength work and then scale it way down for conditioning work.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

It kind of depends on the vest. Taking 60lbs out of a 100lbs vest takes time. It takes much more time than it does to put weight on a weight belt or pick up a dumbell with your ankles. Mine is in little 1lbs increments shoved in tight little pockets so you'd have to take out/put in 60 of those. I have taken weight out and put weight in exactly 0 times since I got it because it's a pain. But other folks might be more likely to do so.

Or you could try and make yourself a poorman's weight vest so you can feel what 100lbs would feel like hanging on your traps...

http://homemadegymstuff.blogspot.com...ight-vest.html (WFS)

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 05-04-2010 at 01:07 PM.