CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-19-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Gary Ohm

Profile:
The kettlebell king

I ran across this company doing a search for kettlebell vendors a while back. I ended up supporting this one and I wanted to give a plug to this vendor.

First, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company. I just bought an #80 (yes an 80, not a 72 or an 88) kettlebell from www.thekettlebellking.comYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.. I worked directly with Bert, the owner. These kettlebells are made by Troy barbells and are cast iron.
The bell is terrific. I own dragondoor blacks and reds (geez am I that much of a geek???) Anyway, the handle of the kettlebell king is a consistent 37 mm. If you worry about competition, the minimum is 35 mm. The 37 mm corresponds to 1.45 inches. It seems very consistent.
The handle is not painted smooth, but does not have the same powder coat as the dragon door blacks. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't see a problem with it.
Shipping was VERY fast, and Bert supplied a tracking number the same day I ordered.

If you don't like kettlebells, that's fine. If you are in the market for one, I would encourage you to at least check out Bert's supply at thekettlebellking.com. His prices per pound of KB are WAY cheaper than anyone else out there, and his shipping rates are too.
These are not Dragon Door by name, but I really don't see a difference.

I just wanted to let y'all know about a great product that is very reasonably priced.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
Re: The kettlebell king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
The bell is terrific. I own dragondoor blacks and reds (geez am I that much of a geek???)

You work at a nuke plant with other geeky nukes. Use your slide rule and do the math.

However anyone who needs an 80# kBell is at least compensating for the geekiness, nice work.
And that geek part had to have at least some part in
doing the research to find bells for under $1.00 per pound, again nice work.

Questions: Does this kettlebell have the flat spot on both sides? Or is the back side rounded?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Climer View Post
You work at a nuke plant with other geeky nukes. Use your slide rule and do the math.

However anyone who needs an 80# kBell is at least compensating for the geekiness, nice work.
And that geek part had to have at least some part in
doing the research to find bells for under $1.00 per pound, again nice work.

Questions: Does this kettlebell have the flat spot on both sides? Or is the back side rounded?

Thanks Jim

I was wondering if you were going to throw something at me for that comment....

I think I'm just going to stick with 10 minutes of snatch on each arm with this thing for a while. Just until I get strong...

hehehe yeah right... I'm going to be doing two handed swings and one handed deads for quite a while. I'll incorporate it into a circuit with my 35's and 53's. Some day I want to do a get up from both sides with this thing, but I'm a LONG way from that.

The bell has only one flat side. It is no larger than the DD's. We talked about rounding them out with JB weld, and I think that is still a very viable option with this one.

Then again, I REALLY like seeing that "80" imprinted on the side.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:

That's a pretty nice circuit.

I always wonder why the flat-stamped part can't just go higher up away from the bidness part of the bell. I snapped my left wrist in high school football and the docs could never get it set perfectly straight, so the corner of the flat spot digs right at the scar on KB snatches, & worse on TGUs. It's a distraction to say the least.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

A dollar a pound (or slightly less) is a pretty food deal. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Yes, thank you. I've been reading reviews and looking at pricing for picking up some kettlebells. These are looking good to me.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #7
John McEneany

Profile:

Quote:
I ran across this company doing a search for kettlebell vendors a while back. I ended up supporting this one and I wanted to give a plug to this vendor.

First, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company. I just bought an #80 (yes an 80, not a 72 or an 88) kettlebell from www.thekettlebellking.comYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE. . I worked directly with Bert, the owner. These kettlebells are made by Troy barbells and are cast iron.
The bell is terrific. I own dragondoor blacks and reds (geez am I that much of a geek???) Anyway, the handle of the kettlebell king is a consistent 37 mm. If you worry about competition, the minimum is 35 mm. The 37 mm corresponds to 1.45 inches. It seems very consistent.
The handle is not painted smooth, but does not have the same powder coat as the dragon door blacks. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't see a problem with it.
Shipping was VERY fast, and Bert supplied a tracking number the same day I ordered.

If you don't like kettlebells, that's fine. If you are in the market for one, I would encourage you to at least check out Bert's supply at thekettlebellking.com. His prices per pound of KB are WAY cheaper than anyone else out there, and his shipping rates are too.
These are not Dragon Door by name, but I really don't see a difference.

I just wanted to let y'all know about a great product that is very reasonably priced.
Any pics of Kettlebellking's kettle bells next to Dragondoor's?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Gary Ohm

Profile:

I can attempt it, but the sizes are much different. My DD's are #35 and #53. My KBK is #80. I can try if you'd like, but I don't know how accurate of a comparison it would be.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
John McEneany

Profile:

Quote:
I can attempt it, but the sizes are much different. My DD's are #35 and #53. My KBK is #80. I can try if you'd like, but I don't know how accurate of a comparison it would be.
please do, thanks
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Gary Ohm

Profile:

The first photo is three kettlebells side by side. From left to right is a 35# DD Black,53# DD Red, and 80# Troy from Kettlebell king. I sanded the paint off of the Red's handle and now it is plain steel. I also repainted it with spray paint. I own two each of the DD's, I don't have enough lead in my pencil to need two of the #80's....

The next photo is a view looking down on the three bells.

Third is the distance between the bell and handle on the DD black. About 2.5"
Fourth is the distance between the bell and the handle on the DD Red. About 2.5"
Finally is the distance between the bell and the handle on the Troy. A bit over 3". Considering how much fatter the body of the Troy is, I think this extra distance is necessary to keep the angle and leverage between your hand and forearm and bell managable. I won't be doing the trigonometry to figure the exact angle between the bottom of the handles and the contact point of the bell. I don't care that much...

Notice too that the Troy is only flat on one side. I filled the large flat of the DD Red with JB weld and sanded it smooth and round. The Troy handle is obviously different in shape and diameter compared with the DD's. I contacted Bert at KBK and he said that these were more along the lines of a competition diameter handle. I was concerned about it being too narrow so I was going to split a pipe and weld the halves together round the outside of the Troy. After using it for a workout, I don't think that will be necessary.

I just don't see a reason to pay 3x the price to DD. These Troy's would be all I need. I wish I had started with Bert and KBK from the beginning. I could have bought alot of extra equipment with the money I would have saved...

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	5848  Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	5849  Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	5850  Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	5851  Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	5852  

Last edited by Gary Ohm : 02-21-2010 at 04:53 PM.