CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:
CFFB, CFSB...Help!

Hey guys,

I've read tons of posts on each so don't pull the "just use the search engine, idiot!" card. I'm looking for a little more personally tailored advice on this one.

First off, I'm skinny. I'm 6'1", 160 pounds, ~3% body fat. If you think that's bad, I was 135 pounds when I started CrossFit.

Anyway, I'm looking to gain mass and strength. I care nothing about the aesthetics, I want mass for strength and strength alone. I have to scale just about every WOD that requires RX'd weights.

So, what I want to know is... has anyone had any success with CFFB or CFSB? Why do you like the particular program you used, or why do you like one more than the other? I'm leaning more toward CFFB because it has strength-based WODs on a bit more varying scale. SS and CFSB seem to be more structured and I get bored very quickly with a routine.

Also, I realize I'm gonna have to gain weight. I find this INCREDIBLY difficult to do while still eating healthy. I refuse to eat garbage and trade performance for mass. I'm also leaning toward the Paleo + Dairy thing that CFFB suggests. I'm full paleo + zone(ish) right now. Any ideas/suggestions?

Okay, sorry for the length. But thanks for the help!!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: CFFB, CFSB...Help!

"~3% body fat" I doubt this is accurate

Eat More. No training program can help you if you can't do this. Eat eggs 8 at a time, chug olive oil, by a slow cooker and make lbs of meat at once, etc. You are probably going to have to play fast and loose with paleo, but that doesn't mean you have to start buying 6 double quarter lbs at a time.

Find some calorically dense carb source that don't affect your performance or even make you feel better; sweet potatoes, soaked oatmeal, true whole grain bread, unprocessed rice, etc.

get the eating in order then consider which program you want to follow.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Hey Jamie, I was hopin' you'd show up and make me feel like an idiot. I feel pretty confident I can get the calories I need... I just haven't begun that yet because I don't need that many with my current program.

And are people serious about drinking olive oil? I drank a spoonful before and it's not the greatest thing I've ever had. I guess I can get over that if it's for my benefit, however.

So, to rephrase the question for you... considering I have everything else in order and under control, what program? I know I'm an individual and another person would be hard-pressed to see what suits me but using the information I've provided... give me an educated guess. =]
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I think the CFFB would be better at getting you bigg and strong since it is designed around making you as such. If you want to get big and strong so you are better at CF, then CFSB would be a better bet since it is designed around your exact problem.

Yes, I chug olive oil, no it isn't pleasant. What you have to decide is which is more unpleasant, not being able to do the wods as rx'd or chuggin olive oil.

"I feel pretty confident I can get the calories I need... I just haven't begun that yet because I don't need that many with my current program"

Eating alot, especially when you arne't used to it isn't easy. How do you know you don't need more calories? You said you are small and aren't strong enough and eating more as a great affect on both?
Old 11-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schechterly View Post
Hey Jamie, I was hopin' you'd show up and make me feel like an idiot. I feel pretty confident I can get the calories I need... I just haven't begun that yet because I don't need that many with my current program.
You're probably close to 40 lbs underweight. You need to eat more even if your "current program" involves sitting on the couch.

If all you care about is mass and strength, do Starting Strength. You're exactly the target audience for that program. CFFB and CFSB will give you slower strength gains, but will also boost your metcon ability.

Katherine
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

I've gone through a period of eating a lot more than normal. I did SS and ate a ton.. did the GOMAD and the whole bit. I just felt crappy 'cause I wasn't eating well. Now, however, I think I have a better grasp on nutrition and I think I could get enough calories in a healthy manner. The olive oil will certainly help now that I know it's safe.

Thanks for talkin' it out with me =]
Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Alex McRobie

Profile:

simple, SS + GOMAD you are best to do this until your up to at least a half decent weight 190lbs might be an example? (although that is still quite light for 6'1)

if you want to throw in metcons id give CFWF ago + GOMAD

you may also want to check out www.70sbig.com WFS
this is bound to show you if you think your eating enough, your probably not.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
If all you care about is mass and strength, do Starting Strength. You're exactly the target audience for that program. CFFB and CFSB will give you slower strength gains, but will also boost your metcon ability.

Katherine
And because of the increased demand of CFFB and CFSB (via high rep sets and metcons) it will also be more difficult to gain mass on these programs.

I agree with Katherine though, if you all you care about is size and strength just do SS for 8 or 9 weeks

-Robert
Old 11-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Ramon Gomez

Profile:

I've done all three (SS+GOMAD, CFSB [as an overlay program on CrossFit], and CFFB). I'm currently using CFFB, but I think all three were useful at different phases of my fitness program.
Going into this, be aware that my fitness level was really bad before starting any of this. I hadn't worked out for around 6 months and was rehabbing a hyper-extended elbow.

When I FIRST started, within a few weeks of getting into CrossFit, I did SS+GOMAD for about 2 months. I put on a LOT of weight, built strength quickly, but became HORRIBLE at prolonged effort tasks. That was fine, because next...
I went CrossFit main, and continued to drink about a half gallon of milk a day. Over about 4 months I lost much of the fat, while still building strength, albeit slower. Then...
I started in with CFSB, which I used as an overlay program (3x5 or 3x3 in addition to the CrossFit main WOD). Strength started to grow quickly again (although not as fast as that first SS+GOMAD period), while metabolic ability increased. I did that for 3 months. Then...
I switched to CFFB. I like CFFB because the strength work is built directly into the program, rather than having to add it (as I did with the CFSB overlay).

Anyways, I would suggest that you become familiar with and grow to love whole milk. In all phases of my building strength, whole milk has been a staple of my diet. I still drink about half a gallon a day.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
Paul Sousa

Profile:

I agree with Katherine. Starting Strength and at least 5kcals per day will get you going where you want. If you are already scaling main page WODs due to lack of strength than you are going to be horribly prepared for the CFFB WODs or the hevy met-cons used for CFSB.

As for food, one thing I have found thanks to 70sbig.com are peanut butter and nutella sandwiches. With just one serving of each on some whole wheat bread you are talking 600+ calories in a quick snack that tastes awesome. Pair it with a pint of milk and you're looking at a quick, easy and cheap ~1000 calories. I do that twice a day on top of my meals (and polishing off the rest of the gallon of milk). that should get you to at least 5kcals (as long s your meals are of sufficient size).

Edit- to give you an idea of how well the above eating worked, I went from 188 to 201 in two weeks with this when I started.

Last edited by Paul Sousa : 11-05-2009 at 01:01 PM.