CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Cortney Cortes

Profile:
Big Girl starting CFing

Hello, I am a 28, 5'5, and 220 lbs. I am a new mom of one, and I just starting doing the CF Foundations class. Up until about 6 years ago I was very active. During high school I played soccer, basketball, and I ran. My fastest mile ever was 6:45. I joined the Marine Corps in 2000 and was at my lowest weight of 125. Ever since I got out of the Marine Corps I have been struggling with injuries. I have completed in a half marathon and 3 triathlons since then, not fast/competitive but I id finish.

GOALS:
1. Get healthy.
2. Lose weight.
3. Become a Crossfit trainer, and personal trainer.
4. Have fun doing Crossfit.
5. Eat healthier.

DIET:
I have my mpments when I eat healthy, but they are only short lived. My husband needs to gain weight and I need to lose weight so making two meals at night becomes very hard. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, buying fresh fruits and veggies starts adding up and it can be hard sometimes. I can buy canned or frozen veggies but I don't know if that is ideal.

Again any advice and I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
John Blount

Profile:
Re: Big Girl starting CFing

If you go to the store every day and cook every day, you will get burned out and it will seem like your buying a ton.

The trick I found is go buy your food for the week on saturday and sunday I cook a HUGE pot of something and so does my wife. Enough that it makes lunch and dinner for us both for the week.

Breakfast is usually eggs/bacon/fruit but its quick and farely cheap.

But for example I'll go buy like 5 or so pounds of ground sirloin (grassfed of course) and mix in some onions, bellpeppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin and voila! A paleo friendly, TASTY, and very cheap dish. Sure it cost 20 - 30 bucks to make, but if you get 10 meals out of it then thats well worth it.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Cortney Cortes

Profile:

Good idea about the ground beef. I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Have you looked for...I think they're called a co-op or something...

Anyways, there was this group in my area...You would pay a flat rate and once a week or so, you'd go and pick up a couple pounds of fresh fruit. The kind of fruit varies by what's in season but you'll save tons more than you would from getting the same fruit or vegetables at your nearby supermarket.

Hopefully this helped, despite my inability to recall what it was called, lol.

As for Paleo recipes, you could try ground turkey, too. Ground turkey meatballs, ground turkey burgers, ground turkey Crossfit shrines...I bought a pound of cooked frozen shrimp for $6 and made a huge batch of India Curried Shrimp (recipe's here on the 7th page..right click and save link as, it's a PDF). The recipe there serves 2 (or 1 if you eat anything like I do). Be sure to defrost the shrimp first, just in case you too are an incompetent cook like me.

Last edited by Stephanie Walters : 11-03-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

No need to make two meals, just control portions. (With a scale if eyeballing doesn't work.)

Canned or frozen veggies are often better than something "fresh" that was picked two weeks ago on the other side of the world. Tomatoes especially are MUCH better canned than fresh but out of season. Just read labels to make sure you aren't getting lots of salt and other stuff you don't want.

Don't keep junk in the house. That makes it a lot easier to resist temptation.

Learn to cook. You'll eat healthier and save a fortune on restaurants and/or prepared foods. Generally speaking, stir fries are fast and easy: the only real time is the chopping, and you can do that in advance. Stews are slow and easy: they take a few hours to cook, but once you get them started you can go do something else. On the weekend, make a big pot of stew and chop up some meat and veggies for stir fries and you'll be pretty well set for the week.

Welcome!

Katherine
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
No need to make two meals, just control portions. (With a scale if eyeballing doesn't work.)

Canned or frozen veggies are often better than something "fresh" that was picked two weeks ago on the other side of the world. Tomatoes especially are MUCH better canned than fresh but out of season. Just read labels to make sure you aren't getting lots of salt and other stuff you don't want.

Don't keep junk in the house. That makes it a lot easier to resist temptation.

Learn to cook. You'll eat healthier and save a fortune on restaurants and/or prepared foods. Generally speaking, stir fries are fast and easy: the only real time is the chopping, and you can do that in advance. Stews are slow and easy: they take a few hours to cook, but once you get them started you can go do something else. On the weekend, make a big pot of stew and chop up some meat and veggies for stir fries and you'll be pretty well set for the week.

Welcome!

Katherine
Not to mention that frozen dark cherries and strawberries make for a delicious snack!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Ian Kovtunovich

Profile:

I have always found it much easier to watch my food intake (quality and quantity) when I am exercising often, be it CF-ing, lifting weights, or just running. I always feel like, once I get the ball rolling and the exercise is a routine, it becomes easier to make myself bypass something less healthy for something more healthy. I kind of get in the mindset that, well, I just killed myself for 20 minutes grinding out the burpees or whatever, so why throw it out the window by eating a pint of ice cream or half a bag of chips and a bunch of salsa (I can easily do either of those things without much provocation).

I think if you stay focused on your goals of fitness and becoming a CF trainer, the food part might just fall in line, especially if you view the nutrition as a necessary part of the larger goal. That might even take some of the pressure off the nutrition aspect - it won't be one more goal you have to attain, but rather a tool you will be using to accomplish the larger goal.

For what it's worth. Good luck, and happy training!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

fruits and veggies ought to last at least a week, and frozen meat is definitely your friend.

if you look into the zone diet, which is less a "diet" diet and more a way to eat forever diet, cooking for you and your hubby should be easy- same ratios, different portion sizes.

or just get him to GOMAD...