CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Casey Raiford

Profile:
Programming ratio question

I don't think this has been beaten to death, but I searched anyway and didn't see anything on it. Apologies if it's been hashed out, reignites a better-off-dead-thread from the past or anytihng like that.

I've wanted a handy reference of all the CFHQ WODs for a while. Not just the girls and heroes, but all of them. Not being able to find one (and not having asked either FWIW), I decided to make one on my own.

I had some time so I began digging through the archives and copying them all to a word document. I broke them up by modality and combinations:

Metcon
Gymnastic
Weights
M/W
G/W
M/G
G/M/W

I think that was all of them. Anyway, I started with today and have worked back to Jan 2008 so far. It actually gets pretty quick once they begin to repeat.

I noticed that the largest list of WODs by far was weights/gymnastics. That was followed closely by metcon/gymnastics combinations.

The smallest was a near tie between pure metcon and weights/metcon.

Can someone smarter than me offer some insight? I'm not criticizing, just curious about the distribution.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Alex Bond

Profile:
Re: Programming ratio question

I would be interested in the amount of pure strength (5-5-5-5-5, etc) days included. As I understand it, in the past year or two, they increased the number of strength days, partially due to Mark Rippetoe's recommendation, but it doesn't seem like they are much more common to me.

Obviously, the number of different pure strength WODs would be low, but their frequency would be of interest to the community, I think.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

There were a fair amount, but I only got back to last Jan, so I don't really have much to compare it to. I'm also just listing each discrete WOD, not counting the instances of them. I'm just throwing together a binder for reference in my affiliate. We're a military non-profit and operate in a pretty sparce facility.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If you're looking for insight into CF programming, I think you have to count instances for the data to make any sense. Among other things, there are a lot of possible weight/gymnastics combinations, but only a few possible pure metcons or pure strength workouts. If I deadlift every Monday, run every Tuesday, and then do a different weight/gymnastics workout every Wednesday, I'll have more unique weight/gymnastics workouts, but I haven't actually done a gymnastics-biased program.

Also, counts like this can be a bit misleading because so many CF workouts are multi-modal. Did you count Fran as a weight/gymnastics workout, or a metcon?

Katherine
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
Casey Raiford

Profile:

I've got a separate list of named WODs. There are a few that are hard to categorize and in those cases I look at the core movements of each to determine how to categorize. If there's a wild card it's almost always the metcon factor, so I tag that WOD accordingly. I haven't found any weights and gymnastics as a by product, just metcon.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Robert Kikuchi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
I've got a separate list of named WODs. There are a few that are hard to categorize and in those cases I look at the core movements of each to determine how to categorize. If there's a wild card it's almost always the metcon factor, so I tag that WOD accordingly. I haven't found any weights and gymnastics as a by product, just metcon.
Casey,

I would love to get a copy of that list if you wouldn't mind. I've been trying to do the same thing to try and get a better handle on programming.

rawfitnessmaui@gmail.com
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kikuchi View Post
Casey,

I would love to get a copy of that list if you wouldn't mind. I've been trying to do the same thing to try and get a better handle on programming.

rawfitnessmaui@gmail.com
No sweat, I plan to go through a year or so of the archives a day. I should be done early next week, give or take.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
No sweat, I plan to go through a year or so of the archives a day. I should be done early next week, give or take.
For what it is worth, there is a reason some of the workouts done in 03-04 don't pop up as WODs anymore. The programming has gotten better over time. Don't go too far back.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Yep, I understand the evolutionary nature of training. On the other hand,
I'm curious what's back there. And I like the old swim WODs.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Casey Raiford

Profile:

So I may have been a little optimistic. I got as far back as JAN07 and don't really feel like transcribing much more. If you're interested, the attached list is every single CFHQ WOD listed since then. Use it as you will.
Attached Files
File Type: doc WOD list 2.doc (72.5 KB, 288 views)