CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Joshua Refenes

Profile:
Study: People who practice harder and smarter are better athletes

Not terribly surprising to most CrossFitters. A study finds that people who practice harder and smarter become better athletes than those who do not. "Bad genes" are an excuse, and not a cause.

Thoughts?

http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/you-can...%94-no-really/ (WFS)
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Study: People who practice harder and smarter are better athletes

I will counter with the racial make up of elite level track, endruance events, american football, basketball and strongman competitions.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I will counter with the racial make up of elite level track, endruance events, american football, basketball and strongman competitions.
Key word elite.

Everyone should be able to theoretically become advanced... but not elite. If you're genetically impaired maybe only intermediate.

But yes, we already knew this.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Troy Becker

Profile:

yea, genetics only come into play when you reach those elite levels, because the vast majority of people never get anywhere NEAR their "genetic potential," including most athletes, i'd say.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If you're going to consider genetic makeup, also consider cultural context. See what happens if a few thousand American kids run *everywhere* from the time they can walk, and then we can talk about whether the Kenyan and Ethiopian runners have good genes or not.

Katherine
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Mike Humphries

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Key word elite.

Everyone should be able to theoretically become advanced... but not elite. If you're genetically impaired maybe only intermediate.
Slighty off topic, but does anyone know offhand what's considered advanced for different track events? Talking about 100, 400, mile, 5k etc. Thanks to the Universal Sports channel I've been watching a ton of track and field lately and I'd like to have some idea of how fast I could realistically get if I worked at it.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
yea, genetics only come into play when you reach those elite levels, because the vast majority of people never get anywhere NEAR their "genetic potential," including most athletes, i'd say.
Well, this is now off-topic but...I'd have thought that great genes help at the beginning of the improvement curve as well as at the far end of it. Thus, those with great genes get into athletics early, which in turn gives them a much better chance of reaching their potential.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Humphries View Post
Slighty off topic, but does anyone know offhand what's considered advanced for different track events? Talking about 100, 400, mile, 5k etc. Thanks to the Universal Sports channel I've been watching a ton of track and field lately and I'd like to have some idea of how fast I could realistically get if I worked at it.
Men's records:

High School You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe(WFS)

Collegiate You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe(WFS)

World You must indicate whether your links are Work and Family Safe(WFS)

I'd say about 10% slower times than the high school records are approachable for the supremely determined but genetically average (and not below) adult. Anything more requires an entire adolescence of devotion and coaching, and probably some genetic gifts. And there wouldn't be any room for broad and inclusive fitness in pursuit of such records, but if you dream it...
Old 08-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormac O'Connor View Post
Well, this is now off-topic but...I'd have thought that great genes help at the beginning of the improvement curve as well as at the far end of it. Thus, those with great genes get into athletics early, which in turn gives them a much better chance of reaching their potential.
Of course.

Those genes that confer elite advantage also confer advantage when the athlete is just starting. Hence, enlarged hearts, more mitochondria per muscle fiber, faster type II fibers, etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Basketball: Yes
Sprinting: Yes
Endurance: Yes
Football: Maybe
Strongman: No
Hockey: No
Baseball: Thats a split.

I think what you have to look at here is who is going to have more exposure to these sports. Hockey is obviously a north American (read U.S.) and Canadian and European sport. Football has pretty equal exposure from around the U.S. and a pretty broad racial makeup. And like Katherine said about running/sprinting, I mean look at the childhood obesity levels in the U.S. When you look at Olympic sports that draw competitors from around the world, that can certainly be a factor. Not to say some arent predisposed to performance in a certain area, like the Kenyans.