CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
Michael DeLuca

Profile:
"Beat the Streets" Fundraiser

http://www.stevesclub.blogspot.com/ W/F/S

Steve’s Club is a non-profit CrossFit affiliate serving the youth of Camden, New Jersey, a city ranked as one of America’s “Most Dangerous”. Steve’s Club provides a sense of community, belonging, and responsibility to young athletes who face the tough choices of inner-city life.

Thanks to The United Way of Camden County, Crossfit Invictus, Crossfit Flood, Crossfit Tribe, and the members of Crossfit Center City that came out and supported Steve's Club in what hopes to be our first annual fundraiser. A special thanks goes out to Jason & Josh who both flew in from Houston to donate and participate in the Fundraiser WOD. You guys killed it.

The BTS WOD:

10 rounds per team for time.

One round equals 5 sets of:

1 Deadlift
1 Clean
1 Shoulder Press
1 Burpee

Each round is finished with a 200m run.

In order for Partner B to start, Partner A must finish the run and tap Partner B.

Class A (Standard Men): Deadlift 305lbs, Clean 115lbs, Shoulder Press 115lbs
Class B (Modified Men): Deadlift 220lbs, Clean 95lbs, Shoulder Press 95lbs
Class C (Standard Women): Deadlift 153lbs, Clean 60lbs, Shoulder Press 60lbs
Class D (Modified Women): Deadlift 107lbs, Clean 45lbs, Shoulder Press 45 lbs

The workout begins with Partner A completing 5 sets of the movements and then doing a 200m run. When Partner A returns they tap Partner B who completes 5 sets of the movements and then does a 200m run. The same bar is used for the Clean and the Shoulder Press. Continue alternating until your team has completed 10 Rounds. At the end, each partner should have completed a total of 25 Deadlifts, 25 Cleans, 25 Shoulder Press, 25 Burpees and 5 x 200m run.

Not only was this absolutely grueling, but it was a lot of fun.

Here is the quick write-up in the South Jersey Courier Post:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...=2009905100352 W/F/S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beat-The-Streets_265.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	4176  
Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: "Beat the Streets" Fundraiser

Mike, thanks for posting.

What a great and unforgettable day! Thank you to everyone involved for making our first annual fundraiser a success. Please check out site for updates.

CrossFit changes lives, one kid at a time.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

I'm rockin' my Steve's Club shirt today
Old 05-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Steve, great meeting you two weeks ago...count me in for next year.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Jason Dahlem

Profile:

To the competition hardened and unbelievably strong, in body and mind, athletes of Steve's Club:

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to have spent a Saturday than Crossfitting and competing with such a wonderful group of athletes and young adults. From the bottom of my heart I thank you for welcoming Josh, Lina, and myself into your gym and allowing us to participate in what will no doubt be the first of what will become a yearly Crossfit fiesta for growing numbers of out-of-town participants. To know that you'll be stomping out hundreds, if not thousands, of box jumps on a box with our names on it is an honor not easily surpassed. In addition I would like to express my appreciation for your unending support during the competition. There's no way I would have been able to finish that last rediculously slow shoulder press without you screaming right along with me. Contrary to the supposition that I'm a "lumberjack from the Northwest," I actually sit behind a computer most of the day which does nothing to prepare the back, legs, or skin of the hands for 1000 meters of running, and 25 deadlifts, cleans, presses, and burpees. Which brings me to my last articulation of gratitude: and that would be for keeping the laughter to an inaudible minimum when I bailed on the second to last clean and fell flat on my back. I'm not sure my ego could've handled all the finger pointing and laughter that the scene no doubt warranted.

But seriously, thank you. Josh, Lina, and myself will be wearing our shirts with pride knowing first hand the strength of community and commitment that they represent.

Stay in touch and at the very least we will see you next year!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Michael DeLuca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dahlem View Post
To the competition hardened and unbelievably strong, in body and mind, athletes of Steve's Club:

Honestly, I can't think of a better way to have spent a Saturday than Crossfitting and competing with such a wonderful group of athletes and young adults. From the bottom of my heart I thank you for welcoming Josh, Lina, and myself into your gym and allowing us to participate in what will no doubt be the first of what will become a yearly Crossfit fiesta for growing numbers of out-of-town participants. To know that you'll be stomping out hundreds, if not thousands, of box jumps on a box with our names on it is an honor not easily surpassed. In addition I would like to express my appreciation for your unending support during the competition. There's no way I would have been able to finish that last rediculously slow shoulder press without you screaming right along with me. Contrary to the supposition that I'm a "lumberjack from the Northwest," I actually sit behind a computer most of the day which does nothing to prepare the back, legs, or skin of the hands for 1000 meters of running, and 25 deadlifts, cleans, presses, and burpees. Which brings me to my last articulation of gratitude: and that would be for keeping the laughter to an inaudible minimum when I bailed on the second to last clean and fell flat on my back. I'm not sure my ego could've handled all the finger pointing and laughter that the scene no doubt warranted.

But seriously, thank you. Josh, Lina, and myself will be wearing our shirts with pride knowing first hand the strength of community and commitment that they represent.

Stay in touch and at the very least we will see you next year!

Once again, thanks for coming. It was awesome for you guys to come in.

Once we found out you and Josh were coming in, the rumors about occupation were all over. It was from alaskan oil rigs to catching crab in the bering sea to coast guarding out in the great northwest.

We promise to make next year bigger and better. But, I'll still be whining and crying about the workout. It's what I do best.