CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Joy Holowicki

Profile:
Cross Country Runner with questions

Hey Xfitters,

I am really excited to start the WOD's in preparation for my final season of XC in three months (DIII, women's 6k).

Some questions that immediately came to my mind were:

1) What is typical "peak" time for this stuff? Wouldn't doing intervals eventually have a "peak"? ( I have three months...)

2) Has doing the WOD's helped your knees/ITBS?tendonitis problems in relation to running or made them worse? (XF'ers seem to emphasize speed over form...)

3) Are there any affiliates in Chicago? (I saw one in Rockford... but I'm out in Lisle.)

Yeah, I am really excited. I think most women XF'ers look fit and not buff which is definetly what I want! Lifting and no bulk, great.

-Joy
Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Scott Spencer

Profile:
Re: Cross Country Runner with questions

check out www.crossfitendurance.com for you crosscounty questions.

1. i guess its diffrent for everybody on how long it takes to peak. But 3 months of training will make big diffrence in your fitness level.

2. Doing CF endurance will help with your knees. You will be doing alot less running than you are doing now. Also looking at the POSE running clinics is a good idea.

3. On the main page there is an affilitate section.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
Joy Holowicki

Profile:

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Holowicki View Post
I am really excited to start the WOD's in preparation for my final season of XC in three months (DIII, women's 6k).
Joy, has your coach given you an off-season training program? What are your PRs? What does your current training look like? What does your training schedule look like during the season?

Quote:
1) What is typical "peak" time for this stuff? Wouldn't doing intervals eventually have a "peak"? ( I have three months...)
CrossFit as it stands shouldn't ever produce a peak. This is because it is a General Physical Preparedness (GPP) program. For more info on how to modify the programing to build to a peak, head over to the CrossFit Endurance forums (W/F/S); you'll get some solid advice from endurance athletes already using the program with great success.

Quote:
2) Has doing the WOD's helped your knees/ITBS?tendonitis problems in relation to running or made them worse? (XF'ers seem to emphasize speed over form...)
First, to be clear, CrossFit DOES NOT emphasize speed over technique/form. This is a common misconception, but is absolutely false. The more time you spend around here, the better you will come to understand how proper technique leads to faster times (and a higher power output).

As for your ITBS/knee issues, CrossFit should help significantly, but the best investment you can make is in a foam roller. It's basically like a self applied deep tissue massage. Head over to Again Faster (W/F/S) to watch a couple instructional videos on rolling your legs.

Quote:
3) Are there any affiliates in Chicago? (I saw one in Rockford... but I'm out in Lisle.)
Head over to the Affiliate Blog (W/F/S) and look at the left hand side for a listing of CrossFit gyms by state. If you click your state, it breaks it down to a listing by city - there are 3 Affiliates within Chicago, and probably some in the surrounding cities.

- Alex