CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Grayson Magee

Profile:
New to the game...

I am a police officer and I am also a member of the swat team. I am 6'2 230 pounds. 12% body fat. I played 4 years of college football as a linebacker. I bench about 460 and I did squat 600 before my acl tore on a foot pursuit. Anyways I did mma for a few years just playing around and I loved the fitness part of it. I told my team leader I'd try this out and see how it works. Let's just say we are an up and coming team. Anyways two questions:
1) how do I figure out which workouts to do. Meaning do I just do the one on the web page or is there another.

2) what are the benifits to joining. Do I need to sign up for this to work.

Thanks for any tips
Grayson,
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Lauren Hall

Profile:
Re: New to the game...

Grayson,

Step one is to read the FAQ on the main page. That'll help a lot. Then you'll want to start with the main page WODs, scaling as necessary. The Brandx site - WFS - (http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums) has scaled versions under the WOD thread.

I've found my affiliate invaluable -- I can't push myself the same and don't have enough equipment to do it on my own. Other people seem to be fine without an affiliate. I would suggest at least checking out your local affiliate since they can help a lot on form and other issues; you can then head out on your own when you're more used to the WODs.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

1. yes, just do the one on the home page for that day (we call it the main page "MP" for some reason.)
2. You already joined, it's free. If you want, you should sign up for the cf journal, it's 25 bucks per year, super cheap and you get every back issue online included.

welcome to cf
Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
michael Galietta

Profile:

I am a Leo also...CF is great for guys like us because it prepares you conditioning wise for the unexpected...stick with it and it makes more sense once you get acclimated a bit. My results have been terrific.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Alex Europa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson Magee View Post
I am a police officer and I am also a member of the swat team. I am 6'2 230 pounds. 12% body fat. I played 4 years of college football as a linebacker. I bench about 460 and I did squat 600 before my acl tore on a foot pursuit. Anyways I did mma for a few years just playing around and I loved the fitness part of it. I told my team leader I'd try this out and see how it works. Let's just say we are an up and coming team. Anyways two questions:
1) how do I figure out which workouts to do. Meaning do I just do the one on the web page or is there another.

2) what are the benifits to joining. Do I need to sign up for this to work.

Thanks for any tips
Grayson,
Grayson,

1) As the others have said, simply follow the WOD (Workouts of the Day) on CrossFit.com - scaled to your level of fitness and skill at BrandX (see link above) - 3 days on, 1 day off. Be sure to read the FAQ (W/F/S) as well. I know it's long, but nearly every "newbie" question you'll have is addressed in there. The amount of free information available within the CrossFit community is staggering, I hope you like to read!

2) I'm not sure where you are seeing a place to sign up/pay, but the only things that you will ever have to pay for are the CrossFit Journal, affiliate gym membership (an unbelievable value, despite the initial sticker shock compared to Globo Gyms), and any certifications you may choose to attend. From the beginning, Coach Glassman has ensured that CrossFit follows an open-source model to spread the word regarding fitness and health to as many people as possible.

Speaking of affiliates, you might want to drive over to your local box and check it out Red River CrossFit (W/F/S).

And just so you don't feel alone, there are plenty of us LEOs within the community. Here is just one article in the CFJ about CrossFit's impact on improving operational readiness within a unit: SWAT Shapes Up (W/F/S).

- Alex