CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Jonathon Shelton

Profile:
Grand Opening Speech Topics

We are having our Grand Opening this Sat. and during that time we are going to serve food, give an intro to CrossFit spill, put on a workout by the trainers, and offer a free demo crossfit workout. The question I have is about the Intro to CrossFit spill. So far we are going to talk about the basics (What is Crossfit, what is fitness, why we are different from your globo gym, and so on). I was just wondering what others were saying during a speech like this. If you have any catchy phrases or a certain way you explain things to make it stand out in people's minds when they leave, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Brent McManus

Profile:
Re: Grand Opening Speech Topics

To be perfectly honest, no one says it better then coach and nicole and andy and all the other instructors at the certs. I watch their informative videos daily and can always pick something new up. I would try to plagarize as much of what they say as possible. Keep it simple, straight forward, and to the point. Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Jonathon-
I echo what Brent said, but would add that the more you are able to incorporate the underpinnings of the CrossFit philosophy and show how it applies to the attendees day-to-day life, the better you will not only be able to convey the message, but you will also get them to "relate" to it.

Just telling them, "no aspect of functional movements is more important than their capacity to move large loads over long distances, and to do so quickly," is a nice start, but tell them why this is so important. Do they have kids? Do they ever go grocery shopping? Do they vacuum their rugs?

Running after and being able to catch kids if they are in harm's way is a good thing. Being able to play games with them (outdoors, especially) is even better. Carrying them to bed is without hurting yourself is a good thing too.

Heavy grocery bags won't lift themselves. Learning proper lifting techniques will help ensure the people do not injure themselves getting those bags in/out of the car and to the kitchen.

Vacuuming the rug is one thing, but being able to move all of the room's furniture yourself, easily and without the need to rely on other people ensures that your WHOLE house will be clean.

Whatever you can do/say to get them to relate to you - the better!

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Greg Major

Profile:

I find using the 10 fitness domains to illustrate what CrossFit is all about to be very effective. Using examples that people can understand as Sean says.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

One example I've used for people who either say "why isn't running enough" and/or "doing deadlifts (or whatever) is dangerous" is to say that if you are a runner and you blow out your back helping your friend move their couch...do you few that as a failure of your fitness protocol? You should.

Well, we try and build up the body to make sure such simple, preventable injuries won't happen by strengthening the back/etc in a controlled situation.

I was telling this to one lady and she commented that a friend of hers who was a road biker had this exact thing happen. I could not have planned it better.

Will you have an ability to show videos during the speech?

howard
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

Tell the story while avoiding CrossFit acronyms, buzzwords, and CFHQ terminology ("perspicacity"). Great question. You are clearly on the right path by asking the important question(s).
Old 02-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Tish Traster

Profile:

Well, my clients are on average 30-40 and up. They always crack up when I say, "I sure as hell never want to have to say 'I've fallen and I can't get up.' and THAT's why I love CrossFit!"
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Good Tish, I'll steal that one too...

howard