CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Angelo Fosco

Profile:
Hybrid program vs. Main Site in conjunction with athletics

Hey all,
I play college lacrosse and as such have practice 4 nights a week. Until it gets warm out we practice 10-11:30 P.M., once it gets warm out that will switch to 4-6 P.M. Two nights a week it's scrimmaging/drills and Two nights a week it's agility training/conditioning. I typically train at 6 A.M. before i student teach and I was wondering do you think it would be benefitial to try out the hybrid program vs. keeping up with the main site WODS? My thinking is the hybrid program will give me a shorter workout, and keep up my strength while lacrosse should keep up my endurance. Wondering what you guys think would be the pro's/con's of either switching to the hybrid program or keeping with the mainsite. Any opinions?

Angelo
Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Tim Luby

Profile:
Re: Hybrid program vs. Main Site in conjunction with athletics

I would maybe just go with straight up strength work, with maybe 1 day of heavy metcon to boost work capacity. Looks like you're getting some conditioning work already--work that is specific to your sport. To me, that would take precedence over crossfit's more generalized conditioning. But yeah, the one thing that looks like it's missing is strength work.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Steven Holm

Profile:

Well the heavy hybrid programs are definitely more geared towards strength than the main site wod, plus the shorter workouts would probably be nicer to your CNS since you already have lacross training going on too.
If strength is your main goal for now, a heavy barbell training program in the morning might be another option for you.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

There are several past threads on in season conditioning that you might want to search for. Also, I believe Josh Everett wrote an article about conditioning his team. You may want to search for that.

Good luck,
Kevin
Old 01-27-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
Angelo Fosco

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. Tim I was pretty much thinking along the same lines, thats what made me first think about starting the hybrid program at this point. Another thing i was thinking is that, as steven said, it may be a little less taxing on my CNS. I'm thinking I may try 2 hybrid/heavy metcons with 1main-site WOD per 3/1.

Kevin I read the article, and while it was very informative it seemed to talk about mostly off-season training (If you are referring to the baseball team conditioning arcitle). I'm going to try searching for more in-season posts, i'm kinda new to the boards.

Thanks again for the replies. Any other advice/thoughts are welcome.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Have you consulted your teams/Universities s&c coach?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Angelo Fosco

Profile:

It's Division 1 club. It's called the MCLA. It's a competitive club team, very competitive. A kid from MI got drafted last year. However my particular team is short on funds, so we have an alumni as a coach and don't have access to the university's S&C coaches...wish we did. I played with the alum and don't really trust his knowledge when it comes to S&C at all, he's good @ lacrosse tho.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Michael McLellan

Profile:

I'm kind of in the same boat as you here. I'm on a club rowing team and our practice just started back up. I asked my coach and he wants me working out with the team rather than doing Crossfit on my own, but we have no access to strength coaches or weight training as a team. I want to try and keep lifting a couple days a week to keep my strength so I'll probably try something similar.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

I'd stick with 2 days/week of heavy lifting, with low volume. You've already got plenty of conditioning work, it seems.