CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Dean Coon

Profile:
Fitness Assessment for new CrossFitters

So I got my Level 1 Cert. under my belt in November () and I've been training a few people, introducing them to the kool-aid. Most of these athletes have been in pretty good shape to begin with, but I feel like I need to have some sort of tool to use to better evaluate their view of their fitness level, as well as to have a record of their health history, injuries (muscle, joint), pain, etc.

I'd like to know what tools anyone uses to gather, process, and evaluate a new client's fitness/health level, and if there are some preferred WOD's to get an idea of where a client is fitness-wise. I've been using some scaled versions of Barbara, Angie, Cindy, etc. as intro's to the world of Crossfit for these folks. I'll also be incorporating the 9 basic movements in with the training I'm doing.

I've searched the forum for a thread similar to this, without success. If anyone can point me in the right direction for similar threads, I'd appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Fitness Assessement for new Crossfitters

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39256 (wfs)

My post in that thread has the CF North skills sheet levels I-IV to which you can compare your clients.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Justin Shipley

Profile:

Giving clients a dramatically scaled down version of the Filthy Fifty is a good WOD for assessing strengths, weakness, then go from there
Old 12-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Justin Gross

Profile:

Modified Cindy:

3 body rows
6 push ups (modified)
9 squats

AMRAP 10 min
Old 12-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Have you seen this thread?
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39256 (wfs)

My post in that thread has the CF North skills sheet levels I-IV to which you can compare your clients.
By the time a new CrossFitter is able to complete all the skills tests, wouldn't he/she already be an experienced CrossFitter?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
By the time a new CrossFitter is able to complete all the skills tests, wouldn't he/she already be an experienced CrossFitter?
I never said do all of them. No single skill can accurately predict the fitness of a newbie, so just pick a few arbitrarily, and watch the progress on those.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Justin Shipley

Profile:

It's a visual assessment, I know, but just by taking a newbie through the 'official CF warmup' with it's variety of basic compound movements you're going to get pretty good idea of strengths and weaknesses in the areas of strength, coordination, balance, flexibility and so on, and from there you can choose or make up an appropriate WOD for your client.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #8
Dean Coon

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions and directions.

One thing that I'm looking for, too, is some sort of assessment tool to evaluate past history. Do you guys do a sit down interview with a list of questions for the client to answer prior to their first WOD, then take them through a warm up (standard Crossfit or Greg Amundson's Warmup, or other variation) and then a WOD based on the information you gather from the sit-down interview?

I just don't want to get to intense to quickly.

Incidently, I took a newbie through an warmup, squat assessment and did a scaled down version (reps, weights, and some subs) of the Filthy Fifty last night. He's 21, played high school sports, is pretty active and in good overall health. I don't think I scaled it enough, though, as he got fairly nauseous (sp?) and almost met pukie. I need to call him today and see how he's doing...

Justin...I should have asked this yesterday, but what would you say is "Dramatically Scaled"?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
Max Lambert

Profile:

Andy Stumpf told me that Cindy was the benchmark XFit workout and he uses it to guage a person's fitness since starting crossfit.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

For newbies, I'm a big fan of standardized test for power and strength and aerobic and anaerobic fitness. But I'm mostly concerned about movement quality and ability. A functional Movement screen I feel is very valuable for assessing what areas a new client has deficiences. All the Fran's in the world won't be of much good if they have serious movement impairments and severe muscular imbalances from years of globo gym workouts.