CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Christine Crawford

Profile:
What I like about CF is it uncovers so many physical weaknesses! Right when you think you are doing well, you discover another flaw in your fitness that can be improved. That being said, my two weaknesses I'm working on right now are overhead squat using dumbbells and not a barbell. I can't seem to keep any amount of weight overhead if it requires two dumbbells. Second, I can't hold an assisted (wall) handstand for more than 1-1/2 minutes before I crumble to the ground. Any suggestions to improve these two exercises?

Thanks,
Christine
Old 03-31-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Do em' in your warmup.

two dumbell OHS are hard, similar to doing OHS with a shoulder width or narrower grip. Requires even greater shoulder flexibility than regular OHS.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
Any particular reason you're holding the handstand that long? It seems like you might be better served to start working on the HS Pushup. Just start slowly, an inch at a time. Your strength will increase with your ROM.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I love static handstands. I would suggest doing them over the course of the day rather than at the same time as the rest of your workouts... also try doing one hand statics, and then two hands... you should find your strength go up rather rapidly.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
"two dumbell OHS are hard"
Wow, Craig and I thought it was just me. I have been doing DB OHS since I started doing CF because I have a large range of DBs at home but no bar to train with. Having said that, I have never tried using the bar, even when I do go to the gym, (except for other routines) because I have gotten accustomed to using the DBs for OHS. Also I know that with the DBs it forces you not to cheat and have the stronger side subconsciously compensate for the weaker side. Again, that is just me.

Don’t worry Christine, you’ll get there. You can always try using very light weight or a broomstick to get the mechanical training down. Because, a lot of it is balance while keeping your body steady throughout the entire ROM.
Good luck.