CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Hi everyone. I have a question, and I hope this is the right category to post it in. Does anyone play golf here as well as Crossfit? I started Crossfit right at the beginning of spring and I really liked it. I've learned a lot about fitness as well as got in GREAT shape. Here is the problem, my golf game went down the tube. I usually shoot 83-85, but this summer I consistantly shot around 90(hurt the wallet a little bit). I assume most people who do WODs would tell me to give it up and pick up an extreme sport, but golf is what I play during my spare times with my friends. Currently I'm not doing WODs because my gym built a new wellness center that is packed with new "state of the art" equipment as well as people. This makes it impossible to do WODs as well as the freezing temp here in the "great" state of Nebraska (winter is awsome). Anyway, I plan to start again when the 50 degree temps are back, but I hesitate because I'm pretty sure WODs were the reason for my bad golf play. It's really hard to swing around a bunch of weight and then go putt later that afternoon or the next day. So I'm looking for some advice. I thought about just cutting back my WODs to 2-3 a week and then running or rowing 2-3 times a week. How does that sound? Sorry for the long post. Any advice would be great.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Adam Noble

Profile:
I found swinging around alot of weight, kind of helped my game. I had to rely more on swing and accuracy, and less on crushing the ball when I was tired. However, I am really terrible, so my very best days are in the 90's.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Michael Winker

Profile:
Reed, I am by no means an expert but I would suggest that you stick with the WOD and then maybe add in some russian twists to keep your torso / hip rotation loose and flexible. That's the only thing I can think of that maybe would need attention.

For me, at least, Crossfit has helped my game (usually between 80 and 90). Shoulders are more limber, lower back flat throughout the swing, stronger grip that enables me to have a lighter touch on the club, and so on.

Another thing I would suggest is get a lesson or two. Having a pro coach you on the fundimentals is invaluable. I went from the 100's to the 90's in about a month after my lesson.

Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Larry Cook

Profile:
Reed,

Certain WODs will make playing golf later that same day a very frustrating exercise. As you get to be more fit, it is less of a problem but, depending on your expectations, the two are hard to do back-to-back.

The move through the ball is a very athletic and explosive movement that requires a good deal of coordination among the large muscle groups of the upper legs and torso and the smaller muscles in the arms and hands. The ability to make this move consistently is retarded after a good WOD.

You'll have to prioritize your goals a bit here, but my observation is that improving your fitness now will benefit your golf game more later.

You'll be accused of san******ging in no time!

Larry
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Reed:

Great thread! I come from a very deep golf background. High School golf team, a little college golf, son of a 75 yo 8 handicapper, brother of a scratch. I'm presently carrying an index in the 6ish range, but it's a super weak 6! I am now in my second year of CF'ing. My index and my game are weak because I don't have time to play or practice, not because I do CF.

What I HAVE found with CF and golf is that I have to work on my torsional flexibility a little bit if I am going to be playing meaningful golf. I rarely play a round where I care too much about my score, but if I do I definitely don't CF that day, or even the day before. I travel with my brother, Dad, and a brother-in-law (hdcp 6) each year for a golf trip and I make sure to do extra T'ai chi or Bagua for a couple of weeks before to increase my trunk and shoulder flexibility. Yoga would probably also be effective. There are tons of threads on these boards about flexibility. Hitting balls before your round is mandatory; don't even think about show and go anymore!

But now the good news: I am not a big guy (5'8.5", 154), but I have always been relatively long. With the same driver I am 7-10 yards longer after CF off the tee, and 1/2 club longer throughout the bag. I needed to totally re-calibrate my yardages this past summer. Fun problem to have! Unfortunately, CF is just one more thing that also doesn't help you putt better. The only thing that does is practice!!

Hope this helped.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
I've been playing for golf for a long time, through a few "body changes". CF combined with traditional strength training has helped a lot. I'm currently carrying an index of 11, and most of my rounds are in the low 80's. I have found that I've been able to shorten my swing a bit and make it a bit more compact and reliable b/c I'm so much stronger through my hips and back.

I've historically been more of a short knocker but accurate. Last year I hit my first couple of 300 yard drives, and took lots of money off my buds :-)

I don't play as often as I'd like but if I know I'll be playing on a Friday afternoon I usually schedule it as a non workout day.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
Reed Rediger

Profile:
I've increased distance, which I really don't need. My concern is feel around the greens. I find it really hard to hit short chips, flops, and putts because I have NO touch at all, and my game is really suffering. I can't remember the last time I was shooting in the low 90s. I think you are right Darrell, CrossFit Mon-Wed (or Thurs.) then play golf on the weekends. I guess I'll have to experiment.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
We have a local golf pro who trains at Mt Baker CrossFit. After a few months of training, he noticed an improvement in his game. He competed in a Pacific Nothwest Pro Circuit this year and finished, if I remember, in the top 20 out of hundreds of pro's. He stated he could not have imagined he would have been that competititve again, especially in his 50's.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #9
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Medicine Ball Golf:

Find a frisbee golf course and do it with a medicine ball instead of a frisbee. Vary the throw on each "stroke," i.e., throw it overhead, thrust it from your chest, scoop it up and throw from between your legs, and throw it backwards overhead.

Complete the course for time. Toss the ball as far as you can, run to it and do your next toss.

Yell "fore" a lot and take it easy on the goals. (The "putt" to the post should be gentle. Don't knock down the pole!)

Best performed just before dawn, before all the hippies show up with their bags full of frisbees.

Start with a 5kg ball and work your way up.

Enjoy!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Reed Rediger

Profile:
Skip
Does he train on a daily basis or does he modify his workout days around his game?