CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-04-2008, 02:56 AM   #31
Chris Toomer

Profile:
Re: Vegan CF addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chapman View Post

Not to mention his records have been broken since then.... By non-vegans. So meat eaters are still keeping ahead of the pack as far as veganism goes.

Some vegans make it work, but in the end, there will always be a stronger faster meat eater, that I am sure of.

All of the vegans I've met in person have no muscle mass or strength to speak of: not saying there aren't any out there, I'm just saying they are much fewer and farther between.
Most estimates I've heard put vegans as less than 1% of the population. From this tiny sliver, cut away another 95-99% of people who are not "elite athletes", and yes, it's extremely unlikely that most of us have met many ripped vegans, much less heard of numerous world class vegan athletes. Of course we're few and far between, and the 99 out of 100 people who are meat-eaters will always hold the majority of records. There's 99 of them for every vegan!

My unscientific 2 cents: I've been 98% vegan for nearly 10 years (admittedly, I like a little cheese on my veggie pizza), and while I'm by no means an elite athlete, I've trained with pretty good results and rare illness / injury during this time. I've managed to Bench, Squat and Deadlift 1.5x body weight or more while training at moderate intensity (~4x/week), and have never felt any real limitations other than my own time/motivation.

While I can't comment on world class powerlifters and the like, I can put nearly all of my meat-eating friends to shame in most tests of strength, speed and endurance. I actually gained muscle mass when I became vegan simply because I became more attentive to my overall diet and fitness. Eat a variety of fresh, whole foods with an eye towards a balance of nutrients. There are plenty of protein options, it's really not that complicated...

To each his own, but I too think it's more than possible to balance your fitness and your values...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #32
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Chris,

Just wondering what are those protein options available for Vegans? If you are referring to protein found in beans and grains for example, the carb/protein ration is far to off balance, not to mention both are unhealthy. You would have to consume alot of beans to get the protein you need, but then you are consuming far to many carbs in the process. Same goes with nuts such as almonds, you can count protein in them but unless you have reached a desired level of leaness you want to keep your fat blocks as rx'd. I suppose you can use fermented soy and protein powders if need be, but remeber what coach said "If its got a food label on it, its NOT food!"
Old 12-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #33
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
Chris,

Just wondering what are those protein options available for Vegans? If you are referring to protein found in beans and grains for example, the carb/protein ration is far to off balance, not to mention both are unhealthy. You would have to consume alot of beans to get the protein you need, but then you are consuming far to many carbs in the process. Same goes with nuts such as almonds, you can count protein in them but unless you have reached a desired level of leaness you want to keep your fat blocks as rx'd. I suppose you can use fermented soy and protein powders if need be, but remeber what coach said "If its got a food label on it, its NOT food!"
also wondering about all the 'plenty of protein options' for vegans. Just curious, because I can't think of anything (besides tofu/soy) that is a good source of protein without having more calories from carbohydrate or fat, than from protein itself.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #34
Eric Lester

Profile:

I'm also curious if vegans have trouble getting sufficient calories period without eating a lot of grains. I can't imagine trying to just go on fruits and vegetables. I guess nuts would help?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #35
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Is anyone else interested in the high number of first-time posters on this thread? We may be being trolled by at least a few posters here...

@ Robert D Neal: There are essential fatty acids and essential amino acids but there are no essential carbs. Your statement is backwards. You can synthesize all required carbs from proteins/fats but not the other way around.

I'm with Laura on this one; I have a hard time imagining getting well-rounded nutrition without meat. I'm interested to see where this thread goes...
Old 12-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #36
Jon Clingenpeel

Profile:

I'll throw in my 2 cents about this subject. I'm a vegatarian for personal reason (I like my dairy occasionally). I used to eat meat, I actually grew up eating meat for about 30 years of my life, then took out meat. Its hard, its really hard to eat clean (i.e. non-processed stuff) and meet my caloric needs. I do eat grains, breads,granola, yogurt (frozen yogurt too), smoothies, tofu, Garden Burger stuff (fake meat), nuts (I do limit them because of digestive slow down), fruits, vegtables. I also drink protein shakes, make my own protein bars. When I first switched, I did notice a difference in recovery time after a workout, I would be more sore then usual. I had to up my protein and calories by eating more and more offten and that helped out. I'm still finding what works best for me. Everyone is different, my best friend eats everything he can touch (meat, protein drinks, nuts, pasta, breads) and he can't gain a pound, its just the way his body works and has worked since I've known him for 15 years.
I know being a vegan and vegatarian is different, I just figured I would give my view and idea of what I eat.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #37
Neil Bauersfeld

Profile:

Quote:
Chris,

Just wondering what are those protein options available for Vegans?
Besides soy protein, another big source is wheat gluten. Seitan is mildly processed wheat protein. The carb portion of the wheat is washed off to leave just the protein, so it has a good protein/carb ratio. Depending on a vegans tolerance of wheat products that can be an option.

My suspicion would be that vegan strength athletes who are trying to consume lots of protein can't get too picky about unprocessed sources.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #38
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Why are beans unhealthy?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:44 AM   #39
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Jamie,

I would advise you give Robb Wolf's Blog a look

http://*************/
Old 12-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #40
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Jamie,

I would advise you give Robb Wolf's Blog a look

http://*************/
I wondered about that myself. Good thing Robb Wolf is Robb Wolf instead of somebody else...Otherwise I would've had to READ that entire huge 4 page article.

Cool...now I know why I don't eat beans anymore. Because they aren't healthy.