CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2008, 12:11 PM   #21
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Vegan CF addict

Quote:
Was not Popeye a vegetarian?
No - he was a CARTOON!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
It is true, we are what we believe we are
You're right - 'I yam what I yam'

OP, I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #23
Kyle Clayton

Profile:

I know that nuts are a source of complete protein, but you'd have to eat a ton of them to get a decent amount, so I don't know if you could make them your primary source. They can definitely help, though.

Almonds and almond butter are so delicious, good luck NOT eating them.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #24
Sue Chen

Profile:

I was vegan for 18 years. For most of that time I had no problems, though toward the end I was feeling I was lacking some nutrients, ie weakness and achy joints. After starting Crossfit I wanted to increase my protein so I was maxing out on tofu and other soy products. I now see that as not too healthy. Because of the phytoestrogen in soy, your body can start to do things you didn't plan on. I went to menopause fairly early. That I attribute to the soy consumption.

From what I have read, if you want to continue with soy, you should stick with a fermented variety, miso or tempah, but not tofu or protein powders.

Nuts and seeds are a good source, but also high in fat. Since you want to loose weight, this might not be the best source for you either. Beans and lentils, though not Paleo, are another protein source, low in fat.

You cannot satisfy all the normal Crossfit nutrition protocols on a vegan diet, so you will have to choose what best works for you.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Chen View Post

You cannot satisfy all the normal Crossfit nutrition protocols on a vegan diet, so you will have to choose what best works for you.
This is simply not true. It is an uneducated statement. There is no support for what you typed. Just because you had problems figuring out how to do it, doesn't allow you to make such a blanket statement.

There are various diets that people advocate for CF, everything from basic Zone, to Paleo to Paleo and Zone...all the way to stuff like IF and the Warrior Diet.

I am a vegetarian and do fine..no EXCELLENT! But I don't think that is proof enough, so I decided to find something close to it...MMA.

Jake Shields and Nick Diaz are both vegetarians. Sheilds is one of the top ranked welterweights.

So the idea that you can not have a high level of physical fitness without meat is simply bs.

We are at a disadvantage because more planning goes into our meals. I get enough protein and continually make gains.

I'm not righteous at all about my choices...I'm not hear to tell you what is right or wrong. But it bothers me to know end when people make such asinine statements. It's the whole "it didn't work for me, so it can't work for you" mentality...when it should be "it didn't work for me, maybe it will work for you".
Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
Derek Franks

Profile:

Jeffrey,
You realize there's a big difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? (I'm sure you do, I'm just making the point that your experiences with a vegetarian diet aren't necessarily very relevant to a vegan diet).
Old 09-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #27
Ben Chapman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silke Motschiedler View Post
And for all those who believe you cannot perform well - well you better not tell Carl Lewis - he is a Vegan and I think he did pretty damn good
There are so many Vegans that point to Carl Lewis as this shining idol of what veganism is... when in reality he is much more of an exception than a rule.

Not to mention his records have been broken since then.... By non-vegans. So meat eaters are still keeping ahead of the pack as far as veganism goes.

Some vegans make it work, but in the end, there will always be a stronger faster meat eater, that I am sure of.

All of the vegans I've met in person have no muscle mass or strength to speak of: not saying there aren't any out there, I'm just saying they are much fewer and farther between.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #28
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Chapman View Post
There are so many Vegans that point to Carl Lewis as this shining idol of what veganism is... when in reality he is much more of an exception than a rule.

Not to mention his records have been broken since then.... By non-vegans. So meat eaters are still keeping ahead of the pack as far as veganism goes.
Carl Lewis also tested positive for banned substances 3 times prior to the 88 games. The results were covered up for 15 years and he was allowed to compete anyways. All Carl Lewis's example really proves is that a vegan diet probably works ok for some people at elite athletic levels if they're doping.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Ray Rosales

Profile:

Hey there,
I recently discovered this great product at Whole Foods in California. The company is Sequel Naturals and the product is Vega. They call it a Whole Food Health Optimizer, but it's a Meal Replacement. Awesome formula for Vegans and non-Vegans alike and it's in The Zone too!

Here's what they list as their key criteria:

1) Complete meal, meeting all Canadian meal replacement guidelines when mixed in plain water
2) Made primarily with whole foods in their freshest, least processed form possible
3) Made with all natural, plant-based ingredients (absolutely no animal products)
4) Target nutritional profile of 40% protein, 30% carbohydrates, 30% essential fats
5) Proteins must come from a diverse variety of vegetarian sources, including a minimum of one third raw protein
6) All carbohydrates must be naturally occurring, complex and low glycemic with no added sugars or simple carbohydrates
7) Essential fats must be of high quality, with the majority being Omega 3ís; no trans fats or cholesterol
8) No common allergens such as corn, dairy, gluten, soy or wheat
9) No artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners and GMO & pesticide-free
10) Must taste good with pleasant texture and flavor

Their website

http://www.sequelnaturals.com/vega

I'm using 1-2 servings a day as a full meal and it's working good for me. I have to travel a lot for work and this is very convinient.

Hope this helps

Ray Rosales
Salt Lake City
Old 09-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
Jeffrey White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Jeffrey,
You realize there's a big difference between vegetarian and vegan, right? (I'm sure you do, I'm just making the point that your experiences with a vegetarian diet aren't necessarily very relevant to a vegan diet).

Yes. The reponse was more to subtle point that meat is necessary for athletes.