CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:
Two Injuries, two questions.

Alright, so it goes like this.

My shoulder. I have pains in it when I do certain things. Like lifting weights above my head when I'm doing a thruster. It's only one side and only feels uncomfortable in that range of motion (when my hands get about level with my ears) Not sure what it is, I'm thinking just weak shoulder muscles?

The other. I was doing sprint intervals today. Someone got in my way on the track and I side stepped to avoid hitting her. In doing so I rolled my ankle. It hurts really bad. It's not swollen and isn't discolored. Any advice on what to do other than stay off of it for a few days?

I'd appreciate the help. I really need to get back into training as soon as possible. I have a PFT/CFT coming up in October, and a weigh in that I need to drop some weight for.

Semper Fi,
Chris from Tx.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Two Injuries, two questions.

I don't know about the shoulder, it doesn't sound like you think it is too serious, and as long as you are still able to train through it I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it does not go away within a week or two though, or gets worse, you may want to get it checked out, or post again with more info on it.

The ankle: Ice a couple times a day for ~20 min and try to keep it elevated. Ibuprofen also. Other than that you can buy an ankle brace/wrap to get a little added stability that may help you start running on it again a few days earlier than you may be able to otherwise. Or if you have access to a sports med person you can get an ankle tape.... other than that though not a whole lot you can do about it Swimming can be great for strengthening ankles if you do that at all?

Good luck, hope you have a quick recovery

-Robert
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Tom Meehan

Profile:

Shoulders are a complicated area. Where in your shoulder do you feel pain, what type of pain is it, do only weighted movements cause pain and what have you tried for relief?
For the ankle same questions.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

Are you active duty? If so, stop screwing around and go to medical, get a consult to physical therapy.

If not active duty...ummm....do the same as above!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w.../shoulder4.jpg

The pain on my shoulder is that area. Only when I'm lifting weights overhead, like on a thruster. Don't know if I should call it a pain. It's just really uncomfortable. I can finish the lift, but it hurts...almost like a dull pain I guess?
I'm not sure on how to relieve it, so I've been staying away from overhead lifts.
I can do pullups just fine, don't feel it at all.

The ankle, I've been using R.I.C.E. I had to do some walking around campus the other day and it started to swell so I have had it wrapped in an ACE bandage. It seems to help pretty well. It's still a little painful and hardly swollen at all. Hopefully I'll be good to go in a few days again.

I'm a reservists so I can't go to medical. I do have a question though. If I was to go to a Navy hospital, would I have to pay to get treated or would they see me at all?
Old 09-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Dan Hollingsworth

Profile:

Unless you are on orders they won't see you.

Do you have insurance? I know things are tight when you are a student and reservist, been there, done that. Seeking definitive medical advice on an internet forum is just not a great idea though. I would encourage you to get the shoulder checked out. The ankle you may be able to get through continuing with RICE and active rest, provided it wasn't a significant sprain.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:

Alright, so to keep myself training and hopefully drop some weight before Oct 3, I've started swimming and doing excerises that won't put too much stress on my shoulder and ankle.
I'm still a little worried about the shoulder now. I thought it was getting better, so I grabbed a small weight and started moving my should through it's range of motion and felt a pretty sharp pain when I was doing a press from behind my neck. Same area that I pointed out in that photo. I just found the range of motion that causes pain. I think I may just have to suck it up and go see a doctor, unless I can convince my unit to give me some orders to get it checked.