CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
Kim Betts

Profile:
Website Tips

Does anyone have any suggestions for website software that's easy to use? We are looking for info on setting up a website. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Mark Maslakowski

Profile:
Re: Website Tips

In my opinion, Joomla is a good choice. It is easy to configure and manipulate. We like it a lot.You can see it in action at our site (wfs) www.maxfxcrossfit.com
Old 08-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Kevin Wood

Profile:

I'm using Wordpress. It's very easy to use and maintain.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Todd Lynch

Profile:

Typepad has served us just fine.

"Train hard or stay home"
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Ours was built mostly in dreamweaver and the blog is on a separate page through Wordpress.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Joseph Randall

Profile:

Check out Ning.com. www.crossfitbirmingham.com (wfs) is on a Ning platform. You can set your own site up for free. You will probably want to pay for the extras eventually. I have been toying around with my own site if I were to affiliate.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Dean Bozzano

Profile:

Besides owning a CrossFit affiliate, my wife and I also have a small business consulting operation that performs outsourced management services for clients such as accounting, taxes, business plans, bank financing, CRM/direct marketing systems and web sites and hosting. We just moved to a DotNetNuke platform for all of our hosting and our affiliate site is now launched on this system at http://www.UltraFitClinic.com We have not yet determined a pricing structure for clients on the new hosting system but we are working on it. This is an open source system which means you can download it for free and host it yourself if you have some understanding of web sites, limited programming skills, a host provider and the ability to make minor modifications when needed. Most of our clients don't and want a turnkey accounting, Internet and marketing system put in place for them and pay a monthly fee for it.

This system is much more robust than what many people might need for a CrossFit affiliate as it has many features like an online store, event calendars, blogs, wikis, articles and forum...a full portal but any of the blogging programs mentioned make quick short order of the task.
You really need to determine how much versatility you need and if you want a more robust online presence and if you wish to do any programming maintenance or customization or if you will take the plain vanilla of the shelf product.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Leif Lake

Profile:

I use Mac's iweb. Mostly drag and drop and even I can figure it out... Usually. The sites that I am most impressed with all seem to be run with typepad.

http://www.crossfitleiftimefitness.com/
Old 08-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Zack Murphy

Profile:

Another vote for typepad. Highly customizable, and though not free, very inexpensive and looks really good when rolled out and all options are cranked up.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Richard Rigor

Profile:

Ning is highly customizable and easy to use. If you are a new affiliate, definitely look into it (start off free - if you don't like it, ditch it).

You need a way to grab info from those visiting your site. You can do this easily on a ning platform by setting it up so people have to register to look at ALL your valuable content. BUT, you don't have to set it up that way.

I did it that way to initially build up a list of interested prospects. Prospects I can send an announcement to as we get closer to opening our box.

Ning is also loaded with features - directly upload video to the site or pull from youtube. Create events. Community interaction, discussion forums, messaging, etc.

If you want to build an online community as opposed to just a brochure type site, look into ning as well as others.

I'm going to document and write about how we (CrossFit Birmingham) started. From affiliating to weeks after we launch our actual box (build-out should be finished by the end of this month).

I'll write about how we go from outdoor bootcamps, to starting with WordPress, to switching over to Ning, to scoping locations, to lease negotiations, to equipment purchases, and everything.

Our website has been a solid base for all this. It's allowed us to build a list of over 450 (so far) registered members (about 90% local to the Birmingham area).

We recently put up an event for a free park workout on our site (through the built in events module where members can RSVP too). 20 people showed on a Sunday afternoon at 5pm in 96 degree weather. Only 1 was already a member of one of my paid bootcamps. That means 19 new prospects - all stemming from the website.

Here's how that turned out:
(wfs)
http://fitnessmarketingnewsletter.co...ree-marketing/

So, if you're a new affiliate starting out think about "building your online community) before you ramp up to your brick and mortar box. It's easy with ning because it's a social networking based platform that is totally customizable.

Richard