CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
75% Fran - 5:20

15-11-7 reps for time:
- thrusters, 95# (backsquat style*)
- pull-ups
Time: 5:20

- This was my 3rd MetCon in 8 weeks, with the other two being a short 3:50 circuit and a slow 3k run (17:25).
- This was my 27th workout in 22 days. A nice way to easy into some extra rest days.
- The next closest Fran I had to this was 1/14/2008: a full 21-15-9 in 5:52 with 2x25 DB thrusters.
- Not once during the entire workout did I let go of the bar, though I had a few 2-3 breath pauses between some groups of reps, and a few 4-6 breath pauses between switching exercises. Once I started this workout, everything became one big blur, and it certainly didn't get better once I finished! Hahaha.
- I'm extremely pleased that I was able to do this well.

*If you dislike the fact that I did not use the traditional front squat thrusters:
1. The backsquat thruster makes the squat part easier through better use of the posterior chain in the squat, but initiating a behind the head press is very difficult.
2. This allowed me to reach my highest intensity and level of safety. Due to chronic fatigue, my front squat flexibility has drastically decreased. Not only does a lumbar slouch make the exercise near impossible to do, but it also makes it very dangerous. So, I went with the backsquat style. If you dislike that, you're a moron.
3. It's my workout and I'll do it how I like.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Dave Parmly

Profile:
Re: 75% Fran - 5:20

I had never tried Fran, so after 8 weeks I thought I might.
75# for the thrusters.

I'm looking at my watch...16:55:47. Not real happy with that but I wouldn't take a half-way Pullup on the last set and it took me 2 minutes to do 1 good, last pullup.

Well, nowhere to go but down. I guess I should be glad that 8 weeks ago I could do 1 pullup but still...

Sigh.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
3. It's my workout and I'll do it how I like.
Now that just goes without saying.

A nice "outside the box" workout, and kick-a** performance. I think I'll try that rep scheme next time (minus the back thrusters), as my kipping is still not that great.

Melissa
Old 06-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Melissa
With a bit of practice, your kipping will improve. Are you doing a 3x15 warm-up yet?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Melissa Urban

Profile:

I'm practicing every chance I can get. Right now, I can string 3-4 kips together rather inconsistently. I can do 4-5 dead hangs in a row, for a few sets.

My Globo (where I train during the week) has one of those split pull-up bars. It's too wide for kipping, so I do 2x5-10 dead-hangs with the neutral grip bars for my warm-up. I practice kipping on Saturdays at my local gym, and I practice on my rings at home every chance I get. But kipping on ring is freakin' hard. Leonid's tutorial was great, and he offered some extra advice after I PM'd him, but it's still not coming together for me yet.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but back to you and your stellar workout results... After 27 training sessions in 22 days, please rest now.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Really make sure you get that push away at the top... that is sooo important for getting the rhythm right and keeping the kip bus going. And if you do push away from the bar at the top push more!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Melissa
Can you hang a bar from the ring straps? Those are a bit easier to kip on. I remember being pretty proficient with a Greg A. style kipping chin-up on a swinging bar, which carried over to a very strong kip when I finally got on a stationary bar. However, I'm not really the one to talk, since I just tried kipping on my swinging bar again, and I could hardly do three in a row! The timing is brutal, but something you can get better at.

Below is the "Again Cheaper" bar I used. I drilled two holes in a random piece of pipe I found laying in the basement, then strung two loops through them, which are held in on the inside by really big knots. If you do this, be careful to use really big knots. It took me two times (and two corresponding falls) to learn that you need a really big knot for it to not slip out.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/...36e3640b_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/...8c980f0a_o.jpg

Quote:
After 27 training sessions in 22 days, please rest now.
Gladly.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Melissa Urban

Profile:

How did this turn into a "Help Byers Kip" thread?

Thanks for the tips. Chris - I've video'd myself and I know I'm not pushing away as hard as I need to. And Patrick - I've thought about getting some kind of a bar set-up to work with my rings. I just wasn't sure it would be worth it, as the bar will still swing. But the rings add another "neutral grip" component too - I find doing a dead hang on rings harder than on a bar. Maybe I'll give your set-up a try and see how it goes. I like that you made it yourself.

Enjoy your rest.
Melissa
Old 07-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Oh wow, I just owned that s***.

Just finished another 75% Fran, using front squat thrusters this time. 3:53

More info once my forearms are strong enough to let me type, ha.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

So, a month later, after 29 workouts in the past 23 days, I tried this again. It was amazing.

I never let go of the bar during the thrusters or the pull-ups. Though, I did pause once with the bar on my back during the 11 set thrusters, and once with it overhead in the 7 set thrusters. Any other rest was breaths between exercises, and one quick chalk-up. The front squat thrusters felt much better than the backsquat ones, now that I was able to get deep on each rep. The limiting factors were being a wussy between exercises, and lack of bar speed. While my grip was dead at the end, it didn't fail during the workout.

I wasn't feeling nearly demolished at the end of this three week cycle as I was last time, despite the fact I've only been getting ~6 hours of sleep lately. (Bad, bad! I know!) I actually spent the last few days really trying to force myself into overtraining on short notice, since I know I won't get a workout in for the next four days. Yesterday's 5x5 deadlifts came close... Haha.

These (WFS) are some of my latest workouts, most recent first.

Good times.