CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-26-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Hi all,

Anybody here do cross country skiing? It seems like a really great full body "cardio". Could definitely get intense uphill, with a weightvest or in intervals.

Right now, I'm having major technique difficulties. I just can't seem to get any kind of groove. My problem is that I feel I'm not really pushing off when my heel comes of the ground.

If anyone has insights on the sport, that would be neat. :-)
Old 02-26-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

I have done it Paul but really just for fun or as a different wu for the wod.

It is hard to hit the groove on it. The conditions of the snow need to be decent. I have skis you dont wax so thats what I use all the time.

Now for the skating aspect of it that looks tough and I havent even tried that. What I do is simulate the nordic track machine.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
XC skiing is great cardio!

I grew up in Western NY between Rochester and Buffalo. In the winter during my teens I would ski 7 miles to a day on average to check my muskrat traps. Great fun!

Old 02-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
Carl Herzog

Profile:
It sounds like you are talking classic (as opposed to skating). There are a couple of possible issues with lack of kick. The first is equipment-related. Are your ski's waxable? Grip waxing can be a challenge at times.

Many people, though, blame their wax when the problem is really technique. You have to push off the kicking foot hard enough to compress the camber of the ski down onto the snow to get the grip that makes a strong kick possible. There is a LOT of weight transfer in a proper classic stride.

It is often said that if you can walk you can ski classic. Wrong. If you can walk you can shuffle on skis. Skiing classic takes some effort and it's all in the kick.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Should I press down while kicking? I'm feeling really stupid for not being able to get it. Old ladies with proper technique are zooming past me :-)
Old 02-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Joshua Newman

Profile:
Carl is definitely right on. Try over-emphasizing the weight transfer, to get a feel for what it's like when you compress the ski enough to really grip the snow. Once you have that feeling, you can ease off the transfer to something more natural, up until just before you lose that 'bite'.

Conversely, if you're an ice skater or roller-blader, consider trying skate skis; you'll be blazing past those grannies in no time, though it's likely worth taking a lesson to get the different pole / ski stroke patterns down.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
What are skate skis?

I've done ice skating as a kid.

FWIW, I'm pretty good with skis where your heel stays stuck to the ski. Without that it just seem so awkward. :-{
Old 02-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Skate skis are built for the skating style - very much like the motion of speed skating or rollerblading. It's faster and, IMO, way more fun than classic. You don't ski in parallel set tracks. It requires a wide, flat lane. Skate skis have no grip section in the middle - they are glide waxed along the entire length.

skating video clips (not great technique but you will get the idea: http://www.roberts-1.com/t/xc045/a/p1/index.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Thanks Carl, I'm definitely going to look into that, sounds like a lot of fun. :-)