CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-21-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Jean Carmona

Profile:
Adding some strength exercises

Ok, I have been doing CF for about 6/7 weeks, and my main weakness is the strength work. My form is bad,and this is for all the strength exercises. So I have decided to add some more work to remedy that. I am thinking to add a couple of session on the top of the WODs. Could anyone recommend a way of achieving that, should I go for lets say squat (1 day) + bench press (another day) 1 week with reps of 5 sets of 5, and then another week do some other strength exercises. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

JC
Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Adding some strength exercises

You'll get about 10 responses, and all of them will say something like "There are a million threads on this topic. Just do a regime of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength before taking up the WOD." This approach is popular with CFers. I've never bought it, but I had already learned the basics after years of mostly getting it wrong, and I work in the vicinity of a certified CF trainer.

Another way to go is to warm up with gymnastic exercises like ring work, handstands, etc., then do a random olympic lifting or powerlifting exercise, like 3-3-3-3-3-3 back squat or 1-1-1-1-1-1 squat clean & jerk or 5-5-5-5-5 push press. Do this 3 or so days a week and skip metcon for a bit. Gymnasts, powerlifters, and olympic lifters are uniquely strong and powerful. These are time-proven methods, and you can't go wrong here.

Finally, you could just focus on the metcons that demand a lot of strength. Fran, Diane, Elizabeth, Lynne, Linda, etc. I like this approach. I usually make it to the Windy City CF gym about twice a week, and when I do I make the most out of it. I warm up with gymnastics, low-volume kettlebell lifts, handstands, rope climbing - just playing with athletic movements. Then I do one strength movement, like overhead squats, an olympic lift, etc. Then I do a WOD with a high-strength component, especially one that incorporates throwing around a heavy barbell. You WILL get stronger if you spend two days a week doing Mary, Cindy, Fran, squat Grace, etc. I'm naturally skinny, and right now my forearm muscles and hamstrings are actually, honestly, legitimately bulging. My hand muscles are thicker than ever and my feet have perfect arches. I love the way I'm training and I advocate it for anybody who is looking to stay in great condition across "broad time and modal domains" but needs a strength pick-me-up without going so hard that you get tendinitis. You can't go wrong with whole-body, time-proven movements selected at random and done in very intense circuits at a metabolically torturous pace with the socially-competitive and self-competitive nature of scoring or timing the effort.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Jean Carmona

Profile:

Thanks Andrew for the reply. I will follow some of your advice. I don't want - or shall I say won't have the time - to do a full strength program on the top of the daily WODs (which I don't want to lose). It's why I was looking at the 2 days a week plan, not perfect but in the long term I hope it should pay dividend. I have enrolled for a Oly Lift class in March in London (again we are not that well provided when it comes to affiliates here in the UK (not where I live anyway). Like I have said strength is my weakness, and I know that i won't be able to lift very heavy weight, but I would like at least something decent.
JC

Last edited by Jean Carmona : 02-21-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I think you should try and find what works for you. Some people report huge gains in strength while just following WOD. I would follow CF WOD for at least 6 months before attempting to fine tune it for yourself. I started CF when I was already relatively strong and after doing CF WOD mostly for about 11 months I have huge improvements in Olympic lift, metcon, pretty much everywhere except very limited gains in raw strength (squat, deadlift). Recently I started doing more Lifting and skipping metcon on those days and all heavy lifts started to improve right away. But I am not sacrificing metcon for strength, I am still getting PRs in metcon as well.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Jean Carmona

Profile:

Point taken on board Alexander. I am just going to give it a try (2 days/week) for a few weeks and see what happens.

JC
Old 02-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

If it's your form that's really in question, rather than your strength, I would advise against doing anything like SS just yet. Put some PVC lifts into your warmups every day. If you can, video tape it and either post it up on Digital Coaching, or critique your form yourself, if you know what good form looks like.

Even better, go to an affiliate for a day and get some form work. It could be invaluable.

I did about 4-6 months of either PVC, or bar-only lifts before I added any weight... even for the WODs. Strength is a limiting factor for me, at some degree, but even on some lifts (cleans, mainly, and snatches to some degree) my form holds me back.

You need to have the form DOWN before you start adding weight, or you're going to head right into injury, whether you have the strength or not.

So I'd say either do the affiliate thing, or add some PVC/bar routines to every warmup until you're comfortable, then increase by small increments.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
Jean Carmona

Profile:

Hi Elliot, I am booked for a 3 1/2 hours session (Oly lift) with one affiliate in London (26 March, can't wait - also to meet some cross fitter as i train alone in my commercial gym). I am sure that I will learn so much that I will step in the right direction (fingers crossed). I also think that the fact that I don't train in CF facility, I am losing a bit of time in learning form, and how to do some of the exercises; videos are a great help but you can only learn so much from it. I really wish there was a CF facility nearby, I would definitely quit my current gym to join it.
JC
Old 02-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
Johan Nederhof

Profile:

Hello Jean,
You will like Andrew, he is a good teacher with a typical sence of humor. Say hi for me.

Johan
Old 02-22-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Jean Carmona

Profile:

Will do.
JC
Old 02-22-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Brent Moore

Profile:

There is an article on the website 'Performance Menu' regarding strength training mixed in with CrossFit. For only $2.50 its worth checking out!
(WFS)
http://www.performancemenu.com/zen/i...ccfe0cf7a557b4