CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
James Forshaw

Profile:
Zone Question

There is something I really don't understand about the Zone, regarding fat. There are people (myself included) who really bump up their fat intake, and as I understand it this is to increase their energy but also to make sure they don't drop any more bodyfat.
It's the dropping bodyfat part I don't understand, because the Zone books say that fat has no impact on hormone levels and so doesn't affect bodyfat. But surely it must if you can control your bodyfat by eating more of it.
I'm in a really low energy state at the moment (have been for a week, maybe two) despite eating my quota of 15-16 blocks and x2 fat. However, since low bodyfat is almost as big an issue for me as performance, I'm loathe to increase my fat intake to x3.
What would keep your bodyfat lower in these two examples (I'll note down the meals as a block ratio of P:C:F)...

a)
4:4:8
2:2:4
2:2:4

b)
4:3:11
2:1:7
2:1:7

In the second one, I've knocked back 1 carb block and replaced it with 3 blocks of fat.
Essentially, what I want to know is will replacing some carbs with fat help me have more energy yet keep bodyfat falling? Or is there a better way of doing it?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #2
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: Zone Question

Just finished a workout, and it was just representative of how far I've fallen in the past month. Almost a third of my total time was spent either on the floor or bent over, wheezing my brains out. And I had to break up 21 deadlifts at 135lbs into 3 sets. I don't know what's happening to me, but my meals (strictly Zone) do nothing to clear up my mental haziness and lack of physical energy.
I'm definately drinking enough water (practically have a pint whenever I go into the kitchen), I'm doubling the fat and eating 16 blocks to keep my 155lbs of lean mass.
Can anybody suggest what is happening to me?
Yours desperately!
J
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

In your (A) example, your Carb and Protein blocks are all equal. Zone should be 4:3:3 (C/P/F) ideally, with Fat as the variable.

Try getting more carbs to get the 4:3 ratio, maybe, and then tinker with the fat as needed. If you're really busted for energy, you might even consider going up to 17 or 18 blocks, even, for a while, to see how that does you.

Regarding the fat as a means of maintaining/increasing fat: I've read the books by Dr. Sears, but it was some time ago and now my knowledge is based largely on assumption rather than recollection of what he actually wrote. But I've always assumed that by upping the fat, you're giving your body extra energy to burn, so it has no need to resort to the body reserves. I'm not sure if it really is that simple, but that's what I tell myself.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
In your (A) example, your Carb and Protein blocks are all equal. Zone should be 4:3:3 (C/P/F) ideally, with Fat as the variable.

Try getting more carbs to get the 4:3 ratio, maybe, and then tinker with the fat as needed. If you're really busted for energy, you might even consider going up to 17 or 18 blocks, even, for a while, to see how that does you.

Regarding the fat as a means of maintaining/increasing fat: I've read the books by Dr. Sears, but it was some time ago and now my knowledge is based largely on assumption rather than recollection of what he actually wrote. But I've always assumed that by upping the fat, you're giving your body extra energy to burn, so it has no need to resort to the body reserves. I'm not sure if it really is that simple, but that's what I tell myself.
This is not true (unless he's going by calorie ratios instead of block ratios). 1 block of carbs is 9 grams, and one block of protein is 7 grams, so you eat the same number of blocks at each meal to get your 4:3 ratio of carbs to proteins.

I do agree with the second point, however. Body fat is ultimately dictated to a large degree by calories in vs. calories out. You up the fat so it can be used as free energy (whereas when you don't up it, the body uses its fat stores instead, thus lowering your body fat). I usually double my fat blocks because I get really hungry and tired if I don't (even though I'm at a relatively high BF percentage) and I am still dropping bodyfat at a quick pace, so I wouldn't be *too* worried about increasing it some more.

Last edited by Geoff Sallee : 02-21-2008 at 02:42 PM.