CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Consuming more fat: now I am always starving

I am skinny, just look at my avatar.
Two weeks ago I started drinking a swig of Olive Oil with my meals and once or twice more as a snack each day. The only other change in my diet is that I try to eat a carb, protein, and fat every time I eat in a sort of zone sans the measuring diet. My consumption has not decreased but I find that I get hungrier quicker than I used to. It is a sudden onset deep hunger, not just a little stomach rumble. Is this normal when adding fat to a diet?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Re: Consuming more fat: now I am always starving

Without weighed, measured numbers to look at this is pure guess work and unlikely to yield much in the way of answers. Increasing fat intake SHOULD decrease gastric emptying and hunger...but we really don't know WHAT or HOW MUCH you are taking in so it's tough to analyze the situation.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Increased fat *should* slow the entrance of carbs into the blood, keeping the level of carbs more steady. And fats *should* give you a more full feeling as well.

That said, it obviously seems like that's not happening, OR possibly you have a high sensitivity to insulin or (maybe) still have a high insulin response, and the little bit of carbs that make it into your blood cause all those carbs, etc to get stored pronto, lowering your blood sugar faster than normal.

I dunno, it's all just theorizing on my part.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I was hoping that you'd say it was because my body was starting to pack on muscle and I'll look like Anthony B in a few months!
Kidding, but I am confused by this.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

#1 Are you getting enough protein? Track it

#2 Are you getting enough calories? Track it

Adding fat is great but what many would tell you, especially Rip (looking at your avatar) is you don't eat enough.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Part of the reson I look so small in the av is that my left arm is undersized. I have Cerebral Palsy and I do not gain muscle in my left limbs (the affected ones) as quickly as I do in my right limbs. I am trying to eat more but healthy food is expensive and I'm in college so I can't chug a whole gallon a day. I also do a bit of bike racing so my caloric expenditure can be pretty huge.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:

If you're interested in a thorough review of nutrition, calories and the relation to weight gain and what you eat, I would strongly suggeset you read Gary Taubes, "Good Calories Bad Calories" It's not easy reading, but a phenomenal review. Here's a bit of what I (re)learned:

1. Insulin is responsible for depositing carbs in fat cells.
2. Without insulin you won't get fat no matter what you eat. (unless you're a genetically modified rat)
3. Simple carbs are not good and the fructose part of high fructose corn syrup goes to fat, goes directly to fat, does not go to glucose, does not go to glycogen. It further ensures that what glucose isn't used for muscles goes to fat cells as...you guessed it:fat.

If you are hungry on the Zone Diet you have two options:
1) Reduce your percentage of carbs
2) Do not eat ANYTHING with processed carbs: this includes any white bread, white rice, anything with high fructose corn syrup which is 80% of what's in the grocery store. Vegitables that are 5% carbs (e.g. spinach, kale) are what carbs you can take without causing a spike in insulin.

The book should be standard reading for any "professional" involved in health and nutrition.

good luck.

Ken Davis
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Skylar Cook

Profile:

If it turns out to be an insulin response, there was a study discussed a while ago about cinnamon affecting insulin respone. Apparently it has some beneficial effect, but I can't remember exactly what it does (dulls it, maybe? or decreases sensitivity? I don't remember). Search it. It was a fraction of a teaspoon taken every day (1/2 or 1/4 I think). Glad my memory is serving me so well today. Hopefully that helps somehow.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Aaron, i used to be very skinny at 135# with no muscle after i did XC (in high school) for a season and lost 10lbs (wasn't trying to, just happened). What i did was i ate until i was full, because i could not measure food in high school and since im in college now, it is impossible to do. This is a good rule of thumb and has helped me to put on serious muscle. Basically, it the quality of fats, carbs and protein you are eating. The better quality, the longer you are satiated. What type of fats are you eating? Olive oil is good, but you want to branch out and eat a variety of fats. Some other good sources of fats are nuts and seeds, mainly walnuts, pecans, cashews and almonds. You can keep them in your dorm and they have saved my life in between meals . Also, hard boiled eggs can also be a source of fat if theres nothing else, but dont eat them often. Kenneth hit the nail on the head with the carbs, and as far as protein is concerned, eat lean sources of protein, such as chicken, turkey, pork, beef and any seafood. I follow the Paleo diet as closely as possible and even though its not Zone, the foods from Paleo are also good for people on the Zone. You may want to consider the Paleo diet while in college because it doesnt require measuring and is alot easier to follow than the Zone due to this. Just my 2 cents