CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Anyone have info on this guy / his training ideas? From what I hear, he's a pretty successful strength coach that put up some pretty nice numbers in the PL lifts at a relatively low weight (nothing groundbreaking, but impressive nonetheless - 374 bench at 152lbs, 660 lb dead, 555 squat (255 for 100 reps), and 455 bench (at a heavier weight apparently). What struck me when I was reading this was that it said he was an HIT advocate, which lends me to thinking that he must be doing it differently from every other HIT advocate on earth.

-Kevin
Old 12-03-2004, 07:28 PM   #2
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Kevin,
Dr. Ken is indeed an HIT advocate. In addition to the numbers above, he has also done 405lbs for 23 reps in the squat while in his 50's (not positive on the age). One of his sons (Kevin Tolbert)has also squatted 600x30. He has articles in almost every issue of MILO. You can also find a lot of his stuff at cyberpump.com, including I think video of his 405x23 squat. It is a pay site now, but I think it costs next to nothing. It was free for a long time and I read quite a bit of his stuff then. He also used to edit The Hard Training News Letter that was put out by Hammer Strength. It is no longer published though.
He used to post on the old garage gym forum and always seemed like a really nice guy.
As far as his training methods, from what I've read they are pretty typical HIT with an emphasis on brutally hard work. He is a big advocate of high rep squats. But in my opinion he is more concerned with how hard you are working more than any set rep range or speed. One of my favorite quotes of his was from a squat article and was something to the effect of "This should be the hardest work you ever do. You should be shaking like a lower east side junkie at the end of your squats." Hope this helped a little or at least pointed you in the right direction. You might also try googling him.
Kurtis
Old 12-03-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Mike Burgener

Profile:
dr ken is a personal friend of mine and for certain a great strength coach. very knowledgable regarding all forms of strength and conditioning....oly lifts, hit, pwr lifts, strong man...etc, etc....the real deal!!!
Old 12-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Thanks for the responses! I found an article by him called "sensible training". I enjoyed it. Here it is, for anyone interested:

http://davedraper.com/forum/showflat...0/Number/22595
Old 12-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Dr. Ken writes some of the most motivating articles I have read.
Kurtis