CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:
Zone Question

All,

I have been keeping track of my eating via Fitday, and, though I am following the zone recommendations closely, Fitday tells me I am eating 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat (based on the total grams of macro nutrients, not calories). I eat 15 blocks, 3 meals and 3 snacks, and I never feel hungry.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it a quirk with Fitday, or do I just need to eat less protein?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Chris
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Zone Question

Chris,

I just started using FitDay too. I don't think I'll be using it for very long though. I'm doing 17 blocks and did a 5 block breakfast with:

3 eggs, 9 almonds, 2 cups steamed broccoli, protein+milk "shake", and 3/4 cup of applesauce.

I was going almost 100% off of the Zone chart from the CFJ. Fitday's numbers were waaaay different than what the CFJ told me. Something to the effect of 45% fat, 33% carb, 22% protein. I'm not sure which one is wrong, but I personally am not putting too much investment or trust into FitDay. I think it's better used as a log of what you've eaten, rather than a gauge.

Or maybe I just completely butchered my breakfast.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Elliot - thats too bad, Fitday is much closer to right. The Zone portions don't take into account the other stuff in food, Fitday does. So just accept you aren't eating what you think you really are with the Zone blocks. Remember the Zone is technically only the major macronutrient from each source. Broccoli and almonds for example have a lot of protein per amount of fat and carb they provide.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Thanks for that info. I had already made a post in another thread asking a question that I think you just answered, before I read your post. Maybe I'll give FitDay another shot and let the CFJ watch from the sidelines a bit...
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Elliot - thats too bad, Fitday is much closer to right. The Zone portions don't take into account the other stuff in food, Fitday does. So just accept you aren't eating what you think you really are with the Zone blocks. Remember the Zone is technically only the major macronutrient from each source. Broccoli and almonds for example have a lot of protein per amount of fat and carb they provide.
George;

Was hoping you'd comment. Fitday seems to be a very good program and it's free, While I understand there might be a 3-5% error factor, for me, that's not a big deal.

Have a great Sunday, now back to the Pittsburgh Cert.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
Christopher Gaskin

Profile:

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still contemplating if to tweak things a bit, because of two things:

1) I feel great for now. I'm never hungry. I am new to Crossfit though, two weeks in, so I will have to see how my performance will hold up.

2) a +/- 10% error in macronutrients does not seem unreasonable. But, as I said earlier, results should be the litmus test, not what is written in the book.

Thanks again,

Chris