CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Jim Evans

Profile:
elizabeth cleans vs. power cleans

I am generating more power doing power cleans in Elizabeth than cleans because I can do the PCs much faster. That is one of the goals, right? But am I "cheating" on the workout? Regardless, I need to work on my full squat clean (and a bunch of other stuff, too).
Old 09-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: elizabeth cleans vs. power cleans

There's a couple of threads just below this about similar issues

Basically, yes, you're cheating it some. And yes, a lot of us do it...
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Gant Grimes

Profile:

It's not about power. It's about the correct exercise. Full cleans are a lot harder. Coach is pretty careful about programming these things. If he says "clean" then it's a full-squat clean from the deck, regardless of the weight. Then again, most people seem to do Grace with power cleans and push jerks, so what the hell do I know?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Adrian Bozman

Profile:

Ask yourself at the end of a sub 5min. power clean elizabeth if it was cheating. Did it feel like cheating? Did Greg A look like he was 'cheating' in the workout vid. posted a few days ago? I think not.

The only time this becomes an issue is when you're comparing your score against others. If peson A does squat cleans and person B does power cleans, there are obviously going to be some time differences, however neither version of the workout is cheating...it's just a different version of the workout.

Do them both. Do them both in the same workout (7full, 7power, 7full etc.) Try to get them all faster/better/smoother...ask yourself if you are training to get better at the test or if you are training to get better. There is a difference.

Remember: "mix these elements in as many different combinations as creativity will allow".

Have fun!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Call me crazy, but it seems to me like, for a given weight that can be power cleaned, the difference between a squat clean and a power clean is in what part of the clean they emphasize.

For example, if you have someone whose max clean is 165, and whose max power clean is 135, wouldn't power cleaning 135 place more emphasis on the explosiveness of the second pull, while squat cleaning 135 would do more to work out the front squat?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

The point of the METCON workout Elizabeth is to do your full squat cleans so you get the metabolic benefit from the explosive pull AND the front squat.

One of the variations is the power clean version, and it should only be done if you're in a hurry or if it's prescribed. If it's just "clean" then you do full squat cleans.

Basically what Gant said... it's about doing the correct exercise. It especially emphasizes good clean technique (power cleans do not require that good technique) and gives a higher metabolic benefit.

Also,
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=20563
Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
It's not about power. It's about the correct exercise. Full cleans are a lot harder. Coach is pretty careful about programming these things. If he says "clean" then it's a full-squat clean from the deck, regardless of the weight. Then again, most people seem to do Grace with power cleans and push jerks, so what the hell do I know?
Right on. Elizabeth or Grace with power cleans and push jerks isn't cheating (it's still a plenty good workout), it's just different. As I read it, Gant's right -- cleans means cleans, power cleans means power cleans.

Probably the best answer is to just note what you did in the Comments and go spend your time worrying about the next workout.

mpc