CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #1
Eric Lester

Profile:
Lean vs Fat grass fed beef

When I buy grain fed beef I get the leanest I can find. If I were to get grass fed beef would it make sense to get a higher fat percentage. Like say 75% or 85% instead of 95%?

I'm just thinking more fat = more essential fatty acids, but I could be betraying my ignorance hehe.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Lean vs Fat grass fed beef

It's funny, we here on CF seem to love to seek out things that DON'T say "low fat". Me, it ticks me off when I go to look for yogurt for our kids snacks and can't find a SINGLE one in the huge grocery store that doesn't say "lowfat".

Now, I dunno about how animal fat fares as far as being healthy. Typically people have said to avoid it, but I think that's because every single animal we've ever eaten has been grain fed and purposely fattened. I mean, if you were hunting deer and saw two of them, one kinda limping around and just looking nasty, and another that was dashing in and out of trees and looked to be incredibly healthy, which would you rather put on your kids' dinner table?

We all know just by looking at another human which one is healthier. If we see a 450lb lady with rolls hanging off her all over the place, and just... ugh... (sorry if this offends someone, but unless you have a disease, you have no excuse, and frankly I literally feel almost sick when I see overly large people). Anyhow, if you see my aformentioned 450lb friend, and a lean (read: not skin-and-bones) 125lb lady with good body composition, you know which one's healthier. I think the same thing goes for *purposely* fattened animals. Overall health of an animal is going to be affected by its total body fat. Its muscles, organs, blood, whatever, is going to be different from a healthy lean animal.

Now if it just happened to be a grass fed cow that just ate a lot, and has a little more fat than its buddy, I don't think that's a big deal.

Basically, check out this link at Slanker's, looking at the bottom picture:
http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/id78.htm

At the bottom, the first picture of the pigs, they look almost cute. The second picture, I'd be afraid to run into a group of angry pigs that look like that for fear they'd kick my butt.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Eat as much fat as you can from grass fed or otherwise wild sources. I don't worry about how much fat I eat from grain fed sources because I eat a ton of wild salmon which effectively balances out the n3:n6 ratio.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Erin Schryver

Profile:

Grass fed meats naturally have less fat than its steroid filled, antibiotic, hormone filled mate. Grass fed meats also naturally have a higher omega ratio. I don't worry so much about the fat, and just vary up the kinds of cuts I get. And yes, I even eat the skin off of chicken. I don't think our ancestors threw that out b/c of fear they would get fat. They were fit and lean. Eat up on the grass-fed!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:

Well if you're going paleo it seems much more likely to me that cavemen would have gotten a higher percentage of their fat intake from animals than from say macademia nuts, olive oil, or avocadoes. I usually buy 80% lean and find it to be very tasty.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Eric Lester

Profile:

Thanks, everyone, this confirms what I suspected. I am going to attempt to get a quarter cow and a small deep freeze to put it in. The problem will be finding someone else to split a cow with me. Most of my college age friends don't seem interested in buying half a cow, go figure!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Craig Loizides

Profile:

Loren Cordain recommends trimming the visible fat even in grass fed beef. He says that the visible subcutaneous fat contains primarily saturated fat in both grass and grain fed cows. The omega-3 fats are found in the muscle membranes.

He also says that it would be impossible to get more than 10% saturated fat in your diet if you were eating only wild game.

Check the FAQ on thepaleodiet.com.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Anyhow, if you see my aformentioned 450lb friend, and a lean (read: not skin-and-bones) 125lb lady with good body composition, you know which one's healthier.
Actually you only know that all other things being equal, the overweight woman is more likely to suffer from health problems. What you are doing here is making assumptions about an individual based on stereotypes (not to mention being uncharitable in your comment about feeling sick): the overweight woman may outlive the skinny one by years. These sort of judgments, except when applied to ourselves, do none of us credit.

On the fat point, I asked my doctor about it because my cholesterol numbers (normally incredibly low) were creeping up on my diet of 2 servings of grass fed beef. He is pretty well versed on nutrition, etc. He said that, while grass fed is best and had health benefits, you can overdo it with the saturated fats. He recommended mixing in more fish.