CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Steve Gallo

Profile:
Weird, sharp pain in my abdomen

Maybe someone can help me out, I have no idea what happened. I'm just about to start college, so I have absolutely no money to see a doctor right now either.

I was really sore from doing the hero workouts, especially in the area right above my hips, my lower abdominal area. I was showing a friend my rings, I did ONE L pullup on them, unwarmed up, and I felt a very sharp pain in that area. It's in one small spot, and it hurt quite a bit. its very sore now, especially when I sneeze, but less so than when it first happened. I can maybe feel something beneath my skin where it happened, but its so small that if there's something there I barely notice it/am imagining it. I don't think its a hernia, because I think I would be in agonizing pain if it was. I couldn't find any reliable information on them anywhere on the net.

Anyone have any idea what happened and if I should be worried?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Weird, sharp pain in my abdomen

Probably a minor strain... stay off it for a couple of days to see if it heals up.. or at least do very light work.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:

Ice for 15 minutes at a time several times for the next two days. Maybe try to stretch a bit if it's feeling a little better after that. Lay face down on the floor and use your hands to push ONLY your upper body off then ground and arch you back till you feel the strech in your abs. If this causes pain take a week or so off from any intensive excercise (most CF workouts involve the core muscles) and try to work it a bit next week.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
Derek Maffett

Profile:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14482
W/F safe

PM Patrick Henry and ask about his injury. He got it just recently but he might know more about it now. He described about the same injury as you have in the thread.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Elliot Royce

Profile:

Hernias usually do not hurt very much (I've had 3). That doesn't mean you have one. If the pain continues, you just need to see a doctor. Diagnosis via the web is not recommended.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
Kevin King

Profile:

Trouble is no one can see it.

Hernias can hurt. Does it go away when you lay down only to reappear when you stand or valsalva (bear down like you are trying to poo?). If so, that is more concerning for a hernia.

There isn't any particular rush to repair or fix a hernia. However if it gets stuck and won't go away (reduce) this is called incarceration. It can be rather uncomfortable/disconcerting. If it REALLY starts to hurt, this may mean that the incarceration has turned into a strangulation. That's when the bowel in the hernia sack starts to die because its blood supply is cut off.

The risk of strangulation/incarceration is why we like to repair hernias. However, you can wait to get it repaired "routinely" so long as you are aware that if it really starts to bother you, you'd better seek care. If you are in agony, go to the nearest ER.

All that said, what you are describing sounds like a muscle pull/tear. If it doesn't get better after a week or so of rest, I'd get it checked by someone who can tell you what it is. You said you are a student. Many schools have a low-cost student health center. At least they can tell you if you have a hernia on your hands.

-- Kevin
Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
William Hutson

Profile:

where precisely is the pain? perhaps a hiatel hernia (stomach gets herniated..and part of it rides above the diaphragm, essentially slipping upwards). Can happen given the right physical forces.