CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: WOD thoughts on "As prescribed" with rest vs "Scaled" straight through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Kaplan View Post
I would contend that the golden words in the advice above is "short disciplined rest periods". Most people, myself included, let their brains get the best of them, and the rest periods get out of control. I've put up some of my best scores by doing less then I could possibly do at the moment, but holding myself to a strict pacing or rest period I made the time up later on. (a la Cindy)

I'd reccomend 2 - 5 deep breaths, regain your center, balance that chakrah, and drive on. You'll be suprised how much power you've got stored away.
agreed. i'm guilty of taking too long to rest on many a WOD, and it kills my times. managing your efforts so that you don't take unnecessarily long or frequent rests but at the same time don't try to push so hard that you hit a literal energy wall is the key to maintaining intensity. On a workout like "cindy" this is very easy to understand, but it applies to workouts like "fran"... say you're going for a 6-minute fran; you could do the set of 21 thrusters and wait until the 1-minute mark, then jump on the pullup bar and wait until the 2-minute mark to go back to the thrusters. i bet a lot of people with 7-8 minute times would find themselves getting sub-6 times using this management strategy instead of going balls-to-the-wall on the 1st round and hitting a wall after 2-3 minutes when you're 1/2 way through the round of 15.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
David Miller

Profile:

Scale.......intensity is the number one ingredient in the effectiveness of CF.... scale to the highest level you can complete with a ridiculous amount of intensity and you'll be happy with your results.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Everyone looks at the intensity of a workout by seeing the time only, but as coach says in some of the videos about Crossfit it is not just about going faster, its about go farther and lifting more too. There is benefit in both workout systems. Lon Kilgore continues to write how people continue to adapt the strength component portions of a workout to get better times, well this is good when the strength is not there for safe progression, but the over all goal is to get better at everything in the workout system. The speed, the distance and the strength. Without developing the correct form at the lower weight the efficiency will not be there at the higher weight but never moving forward to the higher weight will decrease your ability to increase in your strength component. So following into both workouts are beneficial.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
David Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Taylor View Post
Everyone looks at the intensity of a workout by seeing the time only, but as coach says in some of the videos about Crossfit it is not just about going faster, its about go farther and lifting more too. There is benefit in both workout systems. Lon Kilgore continues to write how people continue to adapt the strength component portions of a workout to get better times, well this is good when the strength is not there for safe progression, but the over all goal is to get better at everything in the workout system. The speed, the distance and the strength. Without developing the correct form at the lower weight the efficiency will not be there at the higher weight but never moving forward to the higher weight will decrease your ability to increase in your strength component. So following into both workouts are beneficial.
David,
This is probably the best advice that has been given in this thread.... couldn't have (and didn't) said it better myself....Scaling might be the FIRST action, but it's not the ONLY action to be taken.....well said sir.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #15
Alex Europa

Profile:

This this Power Output Calculator (W/F/S) and determine where you create the maximum amount of power within a given workout.

As an example:

If I complete "Fran" as Rx'd in 3:54 (my PR), I produce the following numbers

Power Output
232.72 watts
0.32 horsepower
171.65 ft-lbs/sec

Now, let's say that the next time I do "Fran," I use 85-lbs and finish in 3:30, I get these numbers:

248.64 watts
0.34 horsepower
183.39 ft-lbs/sec

Lastly, a 75-lbs "Fran" in 2:59 results in:

Power Output
279.17 watts
0.38 horsepower
205.91 ft-lbs/sec

As you can see, I've produced more power by using a lighter weight (and consequently turning a faster time). BUT we aren't finished yet, we still have to look at the duration of the event. Yes, I'm generating more POWER by using a lighter weight, but it's for a shorter amount of time, therefore the total the amount of WORK decreases.

"Fran" Rx'd = 40,166
"Fran" 75-lb =36,859

This can probably be compared to (as an analogy, not that running at all compares to evil that is "Fran") a 1200m to a 1600m run. You wouldn't build a running program using either, the same goes for "Fran" (or any other workout).

So, what's best? I believe this comes down to the individual. For me, it looks like next time I do "Fran," she'll have lost some weight for the summer! But then the time after that, she'll probably have gained back the weight as extra insulation from the harsh winter months. For someone that can't complete each set of exercises straight through, then I think the lower weight will have an even greater effect, so the trick will be to find the point where using a lower weight doesn't change the time significantly (due to cycling time and rest needed for pullups). That is probably the best place to stick around. One other point to remember, a workout like "Fran" comes up so infrequently, that it is impossible to accurately compare one workout to the next based only on the weight used. So, you'll have to have to use some judgement to decide which numbers to crunch and which weights to use.

Moral of the story, I just spent way too long typing out a post to explain why the answer, "Do both!" is valid. Have a nice day.

- Alex
Old 10-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #16
Wes Palmer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post
Matt, if you are able to do sets of 5 or more thrusters with 95lb then I would suggest the faster road to success with Fran would be to do 95lb thrusters. Likewise, if you can do 15-20 pull-ups you will not derive much benefit from resorting to jumping pull-ups.

Instead, progress is going to be made by carefully managing your efforts. If you top out at 12 thrusters before blowing up, limit yourself to 7's with short disciplined rest periods. Likewise, short sets of quick pull-ups before they start to drag will speed up your time, especially if they leave you fresher for the 15 and 9 rounds.

Apart from seeing if you can make yourself blow chunks, I don't see any benefit in scaling down to the point where you can go sub 3 when it appears strength endurance is your primary limitation.

For others, who may not be capable of even 5 thrusters with the Rx-ed weight or more than 1 or 2 pull-ups, I think scaling is appropriate. But would only recommend scaling to a weight they can accomplish 7 reps or so before breaking - NOT so they could hit 21. That would be too light to elicit any worthwhile strength benefit.

Cheers, kempie

Perfect answer