CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Hi all,

I just wanted to share the news that I finally convinced my wife to try CrossFit, and she liked it. She's sore, but happy about the chance to work on strength training again. It's renewed her desire to try out for a triathlon again next year.

She has asked me to put together some workouts for her, and I obliged of course, but I do have a question. She gave birth about 3 months ago, and sometimes squats are a bit much for her. Do any of you women who have experienced childbirth and use CrossFit have any suggested routines that might benefit her?

I really am looking for guidance from the women out there since you understand the situation far better than I ever would. Thanks for your time and consideration in advance!

Paul
http://mrmirek.blogspot.com
Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
hi paul.
after 3 mos, assuming the doc has given the go-ahead, squats should not be an issue. was the birth c-section? that is a much longer recovery. without asking you to get too graphic, can you explain why squats are too much?

you did not mention weights, so i am assuming that for some reason, even body weight squats (air squats) are uncomfortable for her.

if it is a matter of not feeling the form and being intimidated with weight, definetly have her start with airsquats. give her a target to aim her butt for so she wont be afraid of falling back. tell her to keep her toes light and push into her heels. tell her to think of going to the bathroom in the woods and you dont want anything hitting your legs/shoes.

i am assuming you know about the simplefit website. you may need to start her there.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I had a few annoying aches in my hips and low back after my last pregnancy especially. Sometimes I'd feel my hip "lock up" just in sitting and standing. I also squatted lopsided - one hip came up before the other. A little PT, chiropractic adjustments and time eventually fixed everything.

3 months may not be enough time in her case for the laxity in the hip joints to reverse itself. But, if she had never squatted before pregnancy, it may just be that she hasn't yet adapted to the movement.

Other than that ditto what Connie said.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Congrats on the new addition!

My wife gave birth in late April. She's done a couple simplefit workouts and seems to like them well enough. Like others said, airsquats might be the ticket until everything readjusts. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Thanks for all your helpful advice...simplefit.org will probably be my starting point.

Her hips are an issue and always have been. I know the elastin levels are continuing to decline, but she has always complained about her hip joints...it's a gene problem.

Sometimes she says, "I feel like my uterus is going to fall out." I know that's an issue with her pelvic floor too. Any advice on that? She does Kegels, but is there anything else?

Any other women-specific CrossFit suggestions? I want to make this as pleasent of an experience as possible so she doesn't quit early. But we know that it's a "no pain, no gain" situation too. I just want to make it lively and fun.

Other than that, thanks Gant for your good wishes.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #6
Robert Olajos

Profile:
Paul, that's wonderful news! I'm in a very similar situation. Yesterday my wife and I were talking about how she wants me to dance more, and I want her to do more than yoga once a month and walking twice a week. We came up with a wonderful compromise--for each time we dance, we'll also do a simplefit workout together.

My wife used to be very active as a salsa dancer. That ended when we moved into the boonies a few years ago, and she has let herself slide. I was sliding too until I slid right into CF.

Now she has come to the conclusion, with some help from others, that she needs to be more active. She usually needs to hear things from about 8 different people before she makes up her mind. In this case, me, her sister, her naturopath, her mom, and others have been encouraging her to do more physical activity.

She has a dislike of weightlifting, seeing it as the purview of bodybuilding freaks, and thinks it boring. She says she can't run, she gets shin splints no matter what (and she thinks it boring).

She wants to be active with other people, which is difficult because we live in a remote town of 1000, and most of her friends are in worse shape than she is.

So I'm warming up my dancing moves, and printing off some simplefit workouts along with subs.

Good luck to us both, Paul. I'll be following the responses here closely.

(Message edited by seldom seen on July 06, 2007)
Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Paul Mirek

Profile:
Wow! In the boonies of 1000 people, no wonder your nickname is seldom_seen. Yes, my wife thought running and all those things were boring too until she experienced her first triathlon between our two kiddies. I don't know if your wife is motivated by successful experiences, but my wife would love to do that again since she knows she did it in the past. The best part of it was, she was able to participate in an all-womens triathlon in Naperville, IL. She got to see other women who were far more advanced than she was, women who were 60+ chugging along (sometimes chugging right on past her), and have a close friend do it with her. Look for an experience like that...I know I always stay motivated when I have a goal event or goal strength in mind.

I love that fact that you are doing the simplefit exercises with her. I'm going to start doing that too. I have shown her the moves, but that might give us a chance to mirror each other and converse about it too. Talk about the ultimate "date" experience.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Connie Morreale

Profile:
paul, kegels is the only thing i know of for that problem.

as far as the intensity, no pain thing...the problem with getting non c-fitters into c-fit is a state of mind. we love to push ourselves. there is a huge segment of the human race that thinks we are crazy for liking that.
it will be even harder if she doesn't have a competitive bone in her body. i compete against myself every workout (as i'm sure most c-fitters do). some folks have no desire to "one more time....faster".
tell her to think of her body like a lambourgini (sp?). you gotta take that baby out and see what she can do.

maybe you can get her on the boards and us women folk can give her a friendly nudge.
good luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #9
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Connie, couldn't agree more. :D

Robert, what a great compromise you and your wife have made. I'd say that's a win-win!
Old 07-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #10
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I agree, it is sometimes a sensitive subject but you two are handling it with aplomb!