CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Fight Club amongst Silicon Valley techies - http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13037439/

Funniest thing happened on another (non-workout) forum. A marathoner said "I am a techie, but I didn't join a fight club. I just go out and run for hours on end. I bet those pansies punching each other's hockey masks would cry like little babies if they tried one of my workouts."

I had to laugh.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Looks like Kali, cool stuff. Good for them and LOL at marathon guy!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Did you read the sociology professor's comments? They were pretty funny.

'"Boys have these warrior fantasies picked up from popular culture, and schools sort of force that out of them," he said. In these fantasies, "The good guys always resort to violence, and they always get the glory and the women."'

'"Real-life fight clubs are the male version of the girls who cut themselves," he said. "All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty.

"They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real."'

The idea of a Fight Club sounds awesome to me as long as it is done civily like say the MMA club at my school. I am pretty sure the part that appeals to me is the competition and the challenge, not the pain.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:01 AM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

'"Boys have these warrior fantasies picked up from popular culture, and schools sort of force that out of them," he said. In these fantasies, "The good guys always resort to violence, and they always get the glory and the women."'

"Real-life fight clubs are the male version of the girls who cut themselves," he said. "All day long these guys think they're the captains of the universe, technical wizards. They're brilliant but empty."

Weenie B.S. of the worst kind IMO.

I don't think guys who actually feel like "captains of the universe" need to "cut themselves just to feel something". The fact is their jobs don't make them feel captains of anything. There's no such thing as a job that replaces the physical.
The urge to exert physical power isn't "picked up from popular culture" - it's part of pop culture because it's IN the boys.

The fact is that most guys, regardless of success level, NEED, on a cellular level, the physical side.

"They want to feel differently. They want to get hit, they want to feel something real."

Yup. This is why I have to disagree with Neil's "as long as it's done civilly". The urge is for something not done civilly. Even the marathoner is trying to go somewhere that the guy who jogs 3 miles a few times a week doesn't go. Maybe civilly means with respect, which is another thing. The choking requirment that everything be so superficially "civil" is the problem.

I said this during the "thug workout" thread, which had different overtones, but isn't this what instructors wearing "DANGEROUS" t-shirts is all about. The appeal of CF to LEO, MA and MMA types isn't just about fitness formulas, it's about attitudes.

Obviously, I'm a big believer in the "Fightclub philosophy" if you will. The angreist guys I know are the ones don't that get their fightclub fix, whether it's marathoning, CFing or actual fighting.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Nick Cummings

Profile:

I should clarify the "done civilty" aspect. All I meant is a few simple rules like no groin hits, no fish hooks, etc. and that you can tap out.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Ted Williams

Profile:
I take the article with the same heavy dosage of sea salt that I take the recent articles written on Crossfit.

I think this supposed unanswered urge to beat on people is complete and total BS. I don't disagree that it exists, but it speaks more to the individual, their make up and understanding of the world...and their fragile egos, than anything else.

Its obvious that the reader isn't given a true accounting of what these clubs are, but I'd stay away from anything like this (based on the article) like the plague. I train physically for my own personal gain and safety. That is why I think its important to first understand where people like THESE people come from...the maladjusted, f'd up egomaniacs that think they need to feel pain and impose pain to have a sense of self-worth.

It could be that in reality this is a well organized (in the proper sense) legitimate club...but I fail to see how beating on people because of some "movie" (and the author failed to mention the book with which the movie is based on, as I'm sure most people are aware of) really does anything but feed their egos.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Ever heard of the Dog Brothers? They're pretty savage as well. At first I thought the article was about them.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #8
John Hoffner

Profile:
This article made it into the DC Metro Express today as well... Better picture though, had an referee of some kind in a tux and one of the combatnats laying prostrate like he'd just been rocked.
Too funny, gives new meaning to Revenge of the Nerds... I mean tennis rackets? pillow cases full of soda cans? where do they come up with this stuff?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You know, I think a normal childhood of most boys involves doing any number of things that could poke your eye out, and little fights here and there. Broken bones, stupid stunts. I would hazard a guess most of us have sported a shiner at some point or other. Maybe those guys missed that.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #10
Kawika Bennett

Profile:
Re: Is this any of you Silicon Valley guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Williams View Post
I take the article with the same heavy dosage of sea salt that I take the recent articles written on Crossfit.

I think this supposed unanswered urge to beat on people is complete and total BS. I don't disagree that it exists, but it speaks more to the individual, their make up and understanding of the world...and their fragile egos, than anything else.

Its obvious that the reader isn't given a true accounting of what these clubs are, but I'd stay away from anything like this (based on the article) like the plague. I train physically for my own personal gain and safety. That is why I think its important to first understand where people like THESE people come from...the maladjusted, f'd up egomaniacs that think they need to feel pain and impose pain to have a sense of self-worth.

It could be that in reality this is a well organized (in the proper sense) legitimate club...but I fail to see how beating on people because of some "movie" (and the author failed to mention the book with which the movie is based on, as I'm sure most people are aware of) really does anything but feed their egos.
I do not agree with your sentiment.
There has been war from the beginning of time. Many of these fight clubs are designed to enhance ones ability for combat. The popularity of mma proves this...there is good and bad people. These fight clubs are just playing with more risks than mma.

Gints fight club is a spawn off the DogBrothers and neither allow egomaniacs or maladjusted individuals. If there are they are told to leave, if not the entire pack is very capable of laying a big time smackdown on anyone at anytime. One of the primary goals of the dogbrothers fight club i to test and refine not break an individuals will.