CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Issue 46 of the CrossFit Journal just came out on June 1. It occurred to me—especially when I read several recent threads on topics that this issue addresses directly—that those of you who aren’t subscribers don’t necessarily hear what’s in each issue. So I’m going to make a regular thing of posting a listing of the contents here, on or around the first of each month.

There’s some excellent stuff in this one (the biggest issue so far!):

• “Strategic Shopping: Outfitting a CrossFit Gym on the Cheap”: Practical tips and tricks for circumventing full retail for CF equipment, by Eddie Lugo, of recently opened CrossFit San Diego.

• “Fit to Eat: Summer Picnic Menu”: The second menu of fresh and tasty Zone recipes by accomplished chef (and CrossFitter) Benjamin Sims. With lovely photos to boot.

• “The Slow Lifts, Part 4: The Bench Press”: The latest in the slow lifts series by the incomparably funny and informative Mark Rippetoe. Yes, bench press. In the CrossFit Journal.

• “Parkour Basics, Part 2: Monkey, Dash, and Reverse Vaults”: Another installment in the series in which traceur extraordinaire Jesse Woody carefully walks us through the ways to functionally hurl ourselves over objects.

• “The Freestanding Handstand Push-Up”: Progressions to help you achieve this elusive and impressive move (and excellent party trick), by CFing gymnastics coach Roger Harrell.

• “Large-Group CrossFit Training,” by Wade Rutland: What just may turn out to be The Definitive Guide for implementing CrossFit training in group settings, from military PT and LEO training, to high-school PE, to group exercise for seniors. A detailed guide from someone who’s been there and done the legwork to make CF his military’s PT program.

• “Perpetual Education and the Direction of CrossFit Seminars”: In which Tony Budding of CF headquarters talks about the continual learning and growth required of a CrossFit trainers (and CrossFitters in general) and explains the new kinds of seminars CF is offering: trainer certifications, fitness seminars, discipline-specific certifications, and the new pipeline of traveling one-day seminars.

Check it out. And use the message board to post your comments on it, ask questions, or whatever.

BTW, the FAQ has a list of the topics in each journal issue. And the back issues page in the CrossFit store also says what’s in each one. It’s not in a convenient list format, but you do get a screenshot of the front-page pic of each issue…

Old 06-04-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
Curtis Black

Profile:
Are there any deals available on back issues?

I see they are available for $5 each but it would be nice to get a years worth (12 issues) for $25 like you can with a regular subscription.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #3
David Gutierrez

Profile:  
Curtis,

If you scroll through the back issues, you will see that some of the Journals are offered at no cost. I recently made a bulk purchase of every back issue I did not have. Sure, the price tag was a bit rough at first, but you will not find this type of quality fitness information anywhere else--let alone for $5 a pop. I just think of it as an investment.

Buy them a few at a time, read them, and then buy a few more. That might be a little easier on the wallet. Whatever you decide, they are worth every penny.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Nick Cummings

Profile:

You can also snag 1-38 for $100. This works out to about $2.64 an issue. Not bad when you consider the new ones run $2.09 an issue. They are a great resource. I am very happy I finally picked up all of the old ones.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Curtis Black

Profile:
David and Nick, thanks for the replies.

David: I noticed that issue two (the free trial issue) was available free of cost but I hadn't noticed that for any of the other issues.

Nick: I didn't see that anywhere in the store.

I'll have to go and browse the store a little more.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Curtis Black

Profile:
OK, I just went back to the online store to check it out. Looks like issues 2, 30 and 35 are available as free downloads. I also noticed the deal Nick pointed out. That is a great deal actually. I'll be adding that to my shopping list I think!