CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Beth Moscov

Profile:
So, one thing I have always hated, always avoided, has been the runs. Any length - even short like 50 yard dashes!

And I could avoid it in many ways - aerobics classes don't have running and neither do nautilis type gyms! Pretty easy to avoid running if I want!

And then, I started crossfit. Well, I started in the end of June a year ago and the weather was nice but I still had back trouble and knee trouble and could find many ways to substitute something else. But I did them once in a while - not enough to matter though. Certainly not enough to learn to like running!

And then I got certified to be a crossfit trainer last October. And I ran in more than one workout during that certification. And boy was I slow. But I ran!

More than that, I heard something really important. I heard Coach say that if there is something we think we are bad at, something we avoid whenever it comes up, then we should seek that thing out and work to make it our friend.

Then winter happened and it rained 60 inches here. And my husband gave me a rowing machine for my birthday (thanks husband). So, it was easy to stick with excuses and ignore my bad running.

And I attended a few more certification seminars as an observing and helping crossfit trainer and heard Coach say that again - that thing about embracing what you aren't good at and make it yours.

So, now I am! I really am. I have entered myself in a half marathon in the end of October. I figure an half is long enough to learn about running without getting too far along in the specialization thing I want to avoid. But long enough that I can't avoid weekly training.

More than that, I have taken on a commitment to raise money for blood cancer research in exchange for professional coaching in my running form. What a gift for me - to be trained in running so that I can both learn to run and learn to coach others in my job as a crossfit trainer!

But I do need to raise the money I promised. All the money goes to the organization. The coach is donating his time. The race itself is the Nike Women's half and full marathons and all proceeds are being donated to the same cause. Very little goes to admin costs.

I would love it if any of you crossfit friends would be willing to go check out my race web site. It has a photo of me and my son, some stuff about the race and about the cause. If you want to, you can make a donation from there as well. If you want to donate in my name but don't want to do it online, write me privately and I can let you know how to go about that.

Some of you have already donated. Thank you so much. I will run with your names in my mind and with the community of crossfit behind me thanks to you.

To find out more go to: http://www.active.com/donations/fund...tntsvmbEMoscov
Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Beth, that's awesome! I too hate running and seem to avoid it. I have run 2 half's before as well and they are tough.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Thanks Scott!

Does two half marathons mean you have run a whole?

I have been having fun with this is a lot of ways. I homeschool my son and we have spent some time talking about the origin of the name Marathon and some Greek history.

I am heading out now to do 6 miles. Two months ago a 5k was a huge accomplishment. It is really fun to learn what we really are capable of when we push ourselves!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
okay. This is really wierd! I needed to think about some writing I am doing and decided to go out for a run to clear my head. And that is after I did yesterdays wod today.

If I actually start liking running I will be amazed!
Old 08-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Neal Thompson

Profile:
Beth,

Congrats on entering the half. Keep it up and I will be glad to donate on behalf of myself and CrossFit Boston. Make us proud!

-Neal
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Hey Beth,

Good work on doing this to help others!

I can't make a huge donation at the moment but i'll pass the hat round at the inaugural Crossfit Australia workout and see what we can come up with.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
Derek Lane

Profile:
Beth,
Keep up the good work. It says a lot about a person when they choose to confront a personal weakness through a program that in turn, benefits others. Nicely done.

Derek

PS I love the little triathalon dude up the corner of your race page. When he does the run -> swim transition it looks like he's doing a hardcore face plant. :lol:
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Beth Moscov

Profile:
You guys are so awesome!

I love being part of this community. YOu are all really, really, special people!

Beth
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 PM   #9
Ray Cooper

Profile:
I have a love-hate relationship with running. Right now I hate it. There's nowhere to run where I am usually. I spend about 1 week out of the month in a comfy little base with a crappy gravel loop. I can't make myself do it - too boring.

However, when I'm CONUS and can find good twisty, running from axe murderer type trails, I love to run. It always make me feel like a stud to jump over logs and dive thru bushes. I can go alot farther and faster when I'm having fun than just slogging out miles on the road.

The more you can do to make it fun (whatever that is for you; I know people who'd rather run on a track) the easier it'll be.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Beth I have personal experience with the charity you are running for via my son. Going to your site now, you are doing a great thing...oh, I hate running too!