CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Can anyone explain the main differences among Thomas Plummer's 3 books:

* Making Money in the Fitness Business Book
* Open A Fitness Business and Make Money Doing It!
* The Business of Fitness Book

I have “Making Money…”, and have to say the descriptions of the other two sound similar enough that I cannot see how purchasing them will add anything. I’ve checked the reviews on Amazon, and those pretty much tell me a similar story. Thus, I turn here for information on how these books are different from each other...if indeed they are.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I received an email from Mr. Plummer which outlines the differences:

"*Making Money in the Fitness Business Book

This was the first book and is based upon an operations approach to the business. This book is really for people who are already up and running

* Open A Fitness Business and Make Money Doing It!

This is the newest book and was a co-project with IHRSA. Its prime focus is opening a facility correctly and discusses everything from real estate to partnerships as well as incorporating a lot of IHRSA research. This is the only book of its kind in the field and would be valuable to anyone who is getting into the business or who already is in and wants to open a second unit without costly trial and error

* The Business of Fitness Book

This is the back side book and is focused on the financial side of the business. It covers lease factors, the financial foundation, debt structure and debt service among other financially related topics. It doesn’t cover much on the actual running of a business but more of how and why a fitness business works on the numbers side

There is also a new book called “Anyone Can Sell” and details our complete sales system. This is a book for owners who are looking to incorporate our sales system using a thorough step-by-step guide. This is the most practical of the series and does discuss other issues such as marketing related to the sales process

All four books to have a few cross points since there are some fundamentals, such as 12 month contracts, that I reference across the series. The bad news Tim is that they are all different and take on different aspects of the business. If you up and running, go with the sales book. If you want to open your first club, go with the opening book and the business of fitness or if you are a good owner but not making what you expect, try the business of fitness by itself.

Call our office and anyone can help you more fully if you need a little more information. The best person on our staff to talk to about the books would be Jill at 800-726-3506. Thank you for taking the time to write and for buying a book. Your trust is greatly appreciated.
And by the way, I am working on another book as we speak which will add to the confusion.

Yours in fitness
Thom"